Sunday March 23rd 2008, 9:50 PM
Filed under: lessons,miscellaneous,Monday,Movies,music,other shit,questions,Turnbaby

Monday Moaning-Overkill

Sunday night was trivia night on Turnbaby’s radio show. I like trivia. I have a gift for remembering stupid shit. But ask me to make a doctor’s appointment for you or tell me that a bill needs to be paid PRONTO and I will forget that I ever heard it.  This tends to get me into a lot of trouble.

But that is not what this post is about. If you have been here alot, (okay maybe ever) you might know that I like my music loud, fast and angry. (Kind of like my sex) This doesn’t mean that I have no knowledge of other types of music. But I have noticed something more recently. During the trivia quizzes, I have been getting alot of those answers right! I am talking specifically about 80’s music.

80s.jpg

I really hate 80’s music. If I hear it on the radio, I’d rather drive in silence. Seriously. I make alot of jokes about not liking Duran Duran, or the Pet Shop Boys but I asked myself…WHY? I opened my ears to listen and I noticed that some of this music isn’t half bad. I know all the words.I know the riffs. I know the performers. But why don’t I like it?

OVERKILL.

When these songs were new, they played on the radio constantly. MTV was just as new as the videos they played. The songs were put into heavy rotation. Lots of coming-of-age movies that were set in the 80’s used all of those same songs too. I became disgusted with listening to them and gave up on radio and videos in favor of casettes and this new thing called CDs. During movies, I would tune them out during the montage that seemed to be a requirement for the films. I realized that I missed huge chunks of movies because of the music. It was usually my cue to take a bathroom or snack break.

So I am wondering, is there anything that was ruined for you by overkill? A single movie played on tv constantly? A TV show that reruns repeatedly? What has been done to death for you?

1. Absurdist said:

on March 24, 2008 at 7:34 AM

Here here! Or is it hear hear?

Like I said last night, if I here “tainted love” or “don’t you forget about me” again, I am going to strangle myself while setting myself on fire and hanging over the empire state building.

Absurdist’s last blog post..Respect me, you muthafuckas

2. Slick said:

on March 24, 2008 at 8:13 AM

Any song ever made by Def Leppard or Bon Jovi.

Period….

But, besides those two bands….I love 80’s music. You weirdo!

Slick’s last blog post..Slick’s Abode, Part II (Lots of Pics)

3. turnbaby said:

on March 24, 2008 at 8:21 AM

See I think a LOT of 80s sitcoms are total unadulterated shit.

But 80s music PURRRRRRR

I LOVE Def Leppard—I love it when Pour Some Sugar On Me comes on the car radio on a sunny day. That gets turned up LOUD and I car dance the whole time ;-)

turnbaby’s last blog post..TurnbabyTalks Live Trivia Round 4

on March 24, 2008 at 8:58 AM

The last time was with that song “Bad Day.” I downloaded it from iTunes for free and thought it was a fun little song (especially for free). Then American Idol appropriated it. And then it was everywhere. And it wouldn’t stop. And it’s dead to me now.

on March 24, 2008 at 9:05 AM

I love 80’s music – Metallica, Slayer, the Misfits, etc. Who are those other bands you mentioned? We didn’t have cable, and so the only times I watched MTV were recordings of the Head-Bangers ball.

Ironically, the one song I didn’t like was from the band called Overkill. I don’t remember the title, but it sounded like the guitarist only knew three chords which he played really fast. To make up for it, the singer covered about three octaves per stanza. Bleah. I like thrash metal, but I have standards.

Grant’s last blog post..Happy Bunnyday

6. Cissa Fireheart said:

on March 24, 2008 at 9:09 AM

Totally killed for me? Hrm…wow..maybe…..Oh I know!

Madonna. Everything Madonna. Because when it comes out it’s new, it’s good! I like it!! then? it’s played so much I start to listen to my kids’ music for a change of scenery….

Which is a shame, and scary…I actually listen to Hannah Montana to escape Madonna. how sad.

Cissa Fireheart’s last blog post..And no one dared disturb the Sounds of Silence

7. Mr. Fabulous said:

on March 24, 2008 at 9:11 AM

Fine! YOU pick the music next time! :((

Mr. Fabulous’s last blog post..Cleavage Revealed!

8. BabyGirl said:

on March 24, 2008 at 10:46 AM

The Holocaust. I have no sympathy for anything dealing with it because of the way schools piledrive it in.

PS> WE NEED CHAPERONES FOR THE ART MUSEUM!!!

—-> go to the school site and navigate yourself to the teachers. Emily Farrell. Email her and tell her you would like to go!!!!

9. Tug said:

on March 24, 2008 at 12:06 PM

I have yet to find a radio station (any type of music) that doesn’t play songs to DEATH. Alternative, rock, country…it doesn’t matter. So…I keep switching stations – but there are only so many ya’ know?

Tug’s last blog post..A good time was had by all…

on March 24, 2008 at 12:07 PM

Absurdist-This is why I took a fresh listen. Both of those songs have a lot of redeeming qualities but DAMN! they were really overdone! :( This is the same reaction I have now!

on March 24, 2008 at 12:09 PM

Slick-I agree about BonJovi but Def Leppard too? I do like them, but only because I didn’t listen to them for a long time so they still sound only fresh to me. (No- you’re weird!):)

on March 24, 2008 at 12:33 PM

Turnbaby-“Pour Some Sugar on Me” is Hub’s fave song…Maybe because that is my song of choice when I strip for him! ;))

on March 24, 2008 at 12:35 PM

Finn-Yup! I agree with that one! I don’t watch AI and I still heard it everywhere! x(

on March 24, 2008 at 12:37 PM

Grant-WOO!! I love all of those! The reason I found metal was because I was trying to find something that didn’t permeate every aspect of entertainment and advertisement! And HB Ball ruled!

on March 24, 2008 at 12:45 PM

CissaFireheart-I know exactly what you mean.I have to confess that I am guilty of liking Madonna and Beyonce….FOR FIVE MINUTES! After the first week of release, I am sick to death already! (Welcome)

on March 24, 2008 at 12:48 PM

Mr Fabulous-Did you know that the 50s, 60s and early 70s also had good music that didn’t involve the Beatles or Elvis? What about the Temptations? The Supremes? Janis Joplin? I will say that you do an excellent job of finding obscure music. Just don’t get annoyed when no one has heard of it! I still love you hunny bunny! :*

on March 24, 2008 at 12:50 PM

Babygirl-When you get home we will DISCUSS the Holocaust and the school’s NEED to piledrive it! You could have texted me this info,silly! :*

on March 24, 2008 at 12:55 PM

Tug-This is true. I had the same beef with Ted Turner over tv’s showing the same movies over and over. There is a world of music and movies and we get rehashes! ~x(

19. Shelli said:

on March 24, 2008 at 12:56 PM

I love Law & Order, but I am getting sick of it. I don’t like all the CSIs and I am tired of them. I am also burned out on “reality TV”. I can think of more things, but it will have to stay inside my head. ;)

Shelli’s last blog post..Was It Easter Yesterday?

20. Hilly said:

on March 24, 2008 at 1:06 PM

Oooh how funny, I was gonna say what Shelli said. Enough with the Law & Order series. It’s the same fucking basic format with 26.8 options…it’s like the “choose your own mystery” of TV.

Also, American Idol. I am sorry to people who love it but it is on all of the time, advertised all of the time and blogged about way too much.

Ahem.

Hilly’s last blog post..Heroes, Heroines and Humble Hilly….

on March 24, 2008 at 1:28 PM

Shelli-Yes. Law & Order! (DU-DUN!) and reality tv! Whose reality is it anyway? I watch CSI NY for Gary Sinise and that’s all! =p~

on March 24, 2008 at 1:30 PM

Hilly-I won’t answer about AI because wouldn’t that count as blogging about it? No I don’t like that either! [-(

23. Nobody™ said:

on March 24, 2008 at 6:46 PM

Metallica.

Nobody™’s last blog post..Easter Rabbits

24. Nobody™ said:

on March 24, 2008 at 6:46 PM

Metallica

Nobody™’s last blog post..Easter Rabbits

25. Nobody™ said:

on March 24, 2008 at 6:47 PM

WTF? The page timed out, I refreshed, and my comment wasn’t there. So I tried again, and now it’s here twice!

Nobody™’s last blog post..Easter Rabbits

on March 24, 2008 at 7:31 PM

Nobody-You don’t like Metallica? :((

on March 24, 2008 at 7:32 PM

Nobody-Hey attention hog! Why are you taking up two comment spaces? :))

on March 24, 2008 at 7:33 PM

Nobody-It’s just one more thing in a long list of shit that’s wrong with my fucking blog! x(

29. Trukindog said:

on March 24, 2008 at 8:46 PM

American Idol, ENOUGH ALREADY!

Trukindog’s last blog post..Metalmoms Boobs ?

on March 24, 2008 at 8:54 PM

Trukindog-You mean you’re not watching it tonight? :)

31. flip flop momms said:

on March 24, 2008 at 9:50 PM

SLICK, those are fighting words…u dont dog the Lepps or I stab u…damnit..:-\

but i myself, I LOVE 80’s music, reminds me of the good times8-|

flip flop momms’s last blog post..Bad Company

on March 24, 2008 at 10:06 PM

flipflopmomma-GET HIM! Kick his ass for that! Do it! I got your back…..from over here….I’ll tell ya when to duck…! b-(

33. Avitable said:

on March 24, 2008 at 10:07 PM

I love 80s music and will sing along anytime I hear it. Especially songs like “Tainted Love”, “Bad to the Bone”, etc.

Avitable’s last blog post..Holy Dave Day

on March 24, 2008 at 10:12 PM

Avitable- I would love to hear you sing! Will you do it when you come to Philly? :d

35. Avitable said:

on March 24, 2008 at 10:13 PM

Oh, I only sing to myself.

Avitable’s last blog post..Holy Dave Day

36. Trukindog said:

on March 24, 2008 at 10:18 PM

Not just no but HELL NO!!!

Trukindog’s last blog post..Metalmoms Boobs ?

on March 24, 2008 at 11:05 PM

Avitable-I don’t sing either…but I’ll sing to you if you sing to me….in a corner of course! :))

on March 24, 2008 at 11:06 PM

Trukindog-I take it that you REALLY don’t like it!