Wednesday April 30th 2008, 8:40 PM
Filed under: celebration,family,kids,music,other shit

I’m Not Dancing to This

I was visiting my buddies and the title of one post jumped out at me. “We Are Family” by the Pointer Sisters. Once upon a time I kinda like that song. Notice- I said once upon a time.

This is just one of the songs that is banned from the weddings of my kids (and I believe they feel the same way)

9c2iycaskr66qcalbbid7cam9q1ubca1qcx0wca654dvwcar2myknca2zgcmqca8o4tjrcafu43r8ca7wldydcaecdxwocavf4tahcatc9opzcac6wrljcam06syicao5tva7ca8qba26cahnfr02cakyhfmn.jpg

1.  “We Are Family”  — Oh come on! Played at every wedding as though nobody knows that it is a FAMILY event! Even worse is the one person that goes to every table grabbing someone not dancing and screaming “BUT IT’S THE FAMILY SONG!!”

2.  “Old Time Rock and Roll” — Bob Seegar. Cool song, great beat, and you can’t top that sexy gravelly voice. However, every time I hear it, I have visions of every old person alive “rocking out” and I mean literally rocking. Doing that old person dance that consists of a shuffle and wiggling the arms from side to side.  Blech!

lennie_dancing__wedding.jpg

3.  “Celebration” –Kool and the Gang. Um…am I wrong but isn’t it understood that parties are a celebration?? Isn’t there another song that’s acceptable?4.  “Wonderful Tonight” –by Eric Clapton. Lovely song, lovely sentiment, and Eric Clapton. But could it get any slower? I always feel like he is going to fall asleep in the middle of a verse. I have seen too many people dancing to this at the end of a reception and practically pass out while leaning on their partner.

4.  “YMCA” –by the Village People. Why does Aunt Sadie always have to risk a broken hip trying to keep up?

dancing.jpg

Before everyone gets mad that one of their favorite songs is listed above, just remember that the name of my blog is “Don’t Wanna Hear It”.  Besides, I didn’t say I flat out hated all of them. I just think that just once, I’d like to attend a wedding in which these particular songs were passed over. Although my kids have said none of these will play at their weddings, I just know that one of them will include EVERY.ONE.OF.THEM. just to piss me off. How do I know this? It’s what I would do!

1. Black Belt Mama said:

on April 30, 2008 at 9:46 PM

The only thing worse than those songs are the dance moves that they bring out onto the floor. I think you’ve made a wise choice.

Black Belt Mama’s last blog post..What’s the what’s the what’s the scenario?

2. bluepaintred said:

on April 30, 2008 at 10:10 PM

Heh. Our wedding song was “another one bites the dust”

bluepaintred’s last blog post..Don’t judge me*

3. Tug said:

on April 30, 2008 at 10:17 PM

OK, I’m rolling out the hick in me here…I am SO sick of the ‘chicken song’ – know it?

My fave was many years ago in Vegas when some friends came out to (I don’t know the name of it ’cause I suck) to that song that’s played at the start of all the boxing matches…Are you ready to RUMBLE??? (That’s not the name of it, is it?)

Tug’s last blog post..MetalMom touched me. hee

4. Fantastagirl said:

on April 30, 2008 at 10:25 PM

hmmm – How about – Locomotion, the macrena (sp?), the electric slide, the hokey pokey and last but not least – the alligator dance.

Hate those….

Fantastagirl’s last blog post..I got tagged!

on April 30, 2008 at 10:33 PM

BlackBeltMama-Ewww! Does anyone need to see old Uncle Festus doing the worm? I think not!!

on April 30, 2008 at 10:33 PM

Bluepaintred- :)) :)) :))

on April 30, 2008 at 10:37 PM

Tug-I forgot about that one! That is bad! I am kicking myself so hard right now….the song you are referring to(the Vegas wedding)is a song by Korn and I can’t remembr which one starts like that…and Korn is one of my favorite groups!! :-w

on April 30, 2008 at 10:39 PM

Fantastagirl-I was going to mention those, but I kinda dig doing those dances. How about the conga line to “Hot Hot Hot!”

9. Shiny said:

on April 30, 2008 at 11:08 PM

We were fortunate enough to have a very cool wedding band. Our first song on the dance floor was “It’s the End of the World As We Know It.” And they surprised us at the end with a jammin’ version of “Brick House.”

“Celebration” and “YMCA” are on my list as well. Kudos…

Shiny’s last blog post..“List on the 3s:” Top 6 Unspectacular Quirks about Shiny

10. Trukindog said:

on May 1, 2008 at 12:09 AM

Why the hell would anybody ever play YMCA at a wedding ?

Trukindog’s last blog post..Up Shit Creek

11. Karl said:

on May 1, 2008 at 12:31 AM

Definitely none of those songs at my next wedding. I promise. Also no chicken dance. Ugh, I HATE that song.

Karl’s last blog post..100 Things About Karl, Part Six

12. BlondeBlogger said:

on May 1, 2008 at 3:19 AM

Aaaagh! Now I’m going to have nightmares. I need to put the radio on really quick before I go to bed so I can get these horrible thoughts out of my head!!! :-ss

BlondeBlogger’s last blog post..Accidental Flirting

13. jana said:

on May 1, 2008 at 12:58 PM

Wonderful Tonight is SO overplayed. I used to like it, and it’s sad, because it truly is a nice song.

“Monie Monie” should be burned IMO.

Our song is “LA Woman” by the Doors :)

jana’s last blog post..Summer, Donna

on May 1, 2008 at 1:29 PM

I want to hear the band strike up and play God Send Death at the next wedding I attend – at least near the mosh pit.

Grant’s last blog post..Public Service Advisory

15. Cissa Fireheart said:

on May 1, 2008 at 1:35 PM

Thanks for the shout out! And sorry about the title of the post. It was the first thing that popped into my head :-\:d/

Cissa Fireheart’s last blog post..But occasionally, I wanna talk about meeee….

on May 1, 2008 at 2:42 PM

Shiny-Your band sounds cool. Did all the drunks mumble along with “The End of the World”? and then scream out the only part they knew? “Leonard Bernstein!!”

on May 1, 2008 at 4:38 PM

Trukindog-Because it makes great blackmail video of drunken assholes. DUH!

on May 1, 2008 at 4:43 PM

Karl-Too bad. I wanted to see you shake your moneymaker all the way down to the floor while you flapped your arms.

on May 1, 2008 at 4:44 PM

BlondeBlogger-Did I give you an earworm before bed?? SO SORRY!!

on May 1, 2008 at 4:47 PM

Jana-“LA Woman” ?!!! NIIIIICE! :d

on May 1, 2008 at 4:49 PM

Grant-When Son2 gets married to the jbunny of his dreams, there will most definitely be a mosh pit! And lots of Hatebreed!(Wanna come?)

on May 1, 2008 at 4:55 PM

CissaFireheart-Thank you! The title made that song stick and so I just went with it!

23. Trukindog said:

on May 1, 2008 at 5:20 PM

aaah good point.

Trukindog’s last blog post..INTERNET TRASH

24. Lynda said:

on May 2, 2008 at 12:29 PM

If I ever invite you to the wedding I’ll never have (being married and all) I will be sure to play one of those songs! :d

Lynda’s last blog post..Sleepy Dogs Need A Place to Lie