Sunday June 08th 2008, 8:42 PM
Filed under: assholes,family,love,questions

Lookin’ For a Man

I try to avoid blogging about my sister. Shit, I try to avoid my sister!  Does she call to tell me about her day? No. Does she call and say “Let’s go out shoe shopping?” No. (And yes, I have been known to initiate contact with her using exactly those openings.)

She does, however, call me every time she gets dumped by the boytoy of the month. She is usually “cryin’ in her beer” during these phone calls, and I can’t stand to listen to her. It is always the same conversation. “Why can’t I find love? Why did he leave me? Why do I attract all the shitty guys?”

6a00d8341d29fa53ef00e54fd2458b8834-800wi.jpg

As her older sister, I have tried in the past to comfort her, to offer advice and just listen. Now that she is 41, I have lost my patience for these calls. She never listens to the advice (And I wonder if she even remembers what was said during the conversation!)

I’ve told her that if she continues to frequent biker bars, she will only find bikers. She refuses to go anywhere by herself (except for those places) she refuses to try church functions, single parent groups, or any other place where she might meet a better class of men.

“Please fix me up with one of your single friends.” she begs. I did that once and it almost ruined a friendship. I won’t do it again. Besides, half of my friends are business associates and who wants to fuck that up?? The other half are my online friends and I love all of you guys far too much to subject you to the hot mess that is my sister!

So……my question to all of you is this……Where would you go to meet a nice guy that doesn’t involve drinking? (That is just too much temptation for her.) I mean, seriously, there has to be somewhere out there! I’ve been married since 18! I never did the “singles scene” so I don’t know what’s what in that department.

Any ideas?…….. Anyone?………anyone?

1. Loving Annie said:

on June 8, 2008 at 9:32 PM

Oh, like I know, being single at 50 :)

I’d say try joining a large popular gym in her neighborhood and going regualrly at the busiest times, around 7 in the morning or 5 – 6 in the evening…

Walking a dog seems to get people to talk to you all the time…

Maybe a class at night at a local University where they have adult classes. There’s a college near me that specializes in architecture – and the evening classes are all filled with professionals instead of college kids. That kind of thing…

Or some other activity that interests her… I like to cook, and a few miles away from me they have regular cooking classes in the evenings twice a week.. For instance..

I don’t really know, Metalmom… I loathe internet dating…

What about her doing volunteer work for something where a lot of guys go ?

Good luck. I’m sure you’ll get lots of good ideas from people commenting here… Let us know what she tries !

Loving Annies last blog post..Moist & Delicious Banana Bread

2. Poppy said:

on June 8, 2008 at 9:33 PM

Blogs blogs blogs blogs blogs blogs blogs. :d

(S’where I met Dawg… No drinking with him until we were already dating!)

Poppys last blog post..l0v3

on June 8, 2008 at 9:36 PM

LovingAnnie-All very good ideas. I’ll tell her to put them all in a hat and PICK ONE!!!!

on June 8, 2008 at 9:39 PM

Poppy-She doesn’t blog and for the obvious reasons, she doesn’t know where to find me. She met two guys on the internet(unfortunately they were dating sites) and got two guys who were asshats. One was looking just for pervy sex and the other was married. You got one of the best guy out there!

5. Froggywoogie said:

on June 8, 2008 at 11:47 PM

Charity organizations, sports clubs (put aside bikers clubs lol), BDSM clubs… oops that one I thought aloud, forget it…, art craft classes, joining a choir, etc.

:d

Froggywoogies last blog post..Ringing the corns

6. DutchBitch said:

on June 9, 2008 at 5:19 AM

Errr… yeah, I’m with Poppy on this one ;-) Start her on blogging!!! :d :d

and ehm… for meeting location: coffeeshop?

DutchBitchs last blog post..It’s not all about me, for once…

on June 9, 2008 at 7:36 AM

Froggywoogie-Charities,church and choirs are out (she laughed at those right away)She does like sports so there’s an idea.BDSM…..hmm….I wonder…..

on June 9, 2008 at 7:38 AM

DutchBitch-If she blogged, she might find me and then where I bitch about her?? But I wonder if there’s a coffeeshop near her? There are two near me…..I could go with her….That is totally doable! Thanks!

9. Froggywoogie said:

on June 9, 2008 at 7:54 AM

Apparently I made both you and her laugh lately, so proud of myself…
    I wonder if Dutchie meant coffee shops the Dutchie style hehe

Froggywoogies last blog post..When medicine goes green too

on June 9, 2008 at 8:15 AM

Froggywoogie-When WAS the last time you pleased sisters at the same time? ;)) I wish we had Dutchy-style coffee shops here….8->

11. Froggywoogie said:

on June 9, 2008 at 8:40 AM

2 sis: A long dream finally achieved lol

Froggywoogies last blog post..When medicine goes green too

12. Karl said:

on June 9, 2008 at 9:01 AM

OK, so she’s a mess. But is she hot? Because then you can send her to me. heh.

Hell, I have no idea. I’m 41 and single in a tiny town where drinking is pretty much the only avenue. Well, there’s a gym, but then I’d have to work out or something.

Karls last blog post..This is Dedicated to Lisa

13. Robin said:

on June 9, 2008 at 9:36 AM

I can’t imagine, the best boyfriends I’ve ever met have been through friends so maybe she should focus on meeting new people instead of trying to find boyfriends.

Robins last blog post..I’ve Been To Hell

on June 9, 2008 at 10:30 AM

Froggywoogie- :)

15. Shelli said:

on June 9, 2008 at 10:46 AM

The book store? Starbucks? The grocery store? I don’t know. I have never been on the dating scene, either. :(

Shellis last blog post..Dear Demons

16. lostmahead said:

on June 9, 2008 at 12:02 PM

sisters, ha hahaha.Hi MM

on June 9, 2008 at 12:31 PM

Karl-She’s hot alright and you were the first one to pop into my head! However, like I said, I love you too much to subject you to her!

on June 9, 2008 at 12:32 PM

Robin-I keep telling her that but she’s hellbent on finding a (loser) man.

on June 9, 2008 at 12:33 PM

Shelli- It sounds like we missed NOTHING!!! (except some heartache and diseases!!)

20. Robin said:

on June 9, 2008 at 12:33 PM

Well then let her have at it.

Robins last blog post..I’ve Been To Hell

21. Turnbaby said:

on June 9, 2008 at 1:10 PM

I have a sister who married the man I told her not to even work for. And if she did work for him not to date him or she would lose custody of her kids. And after she dated him and lost custody of her kids I said “I told you so”.

YUP I am a bitch when I give you FOR FREE advice that people pay me a good bit of money for and you don’t follow it and then you want to whine to me about what happened.

She eventually got time with her kids again.

Now she’s married to the guy and having trouble with her ex about him being around the kids* sigh*

I always say just be yourself and live your life. Stop trying so hard and stop trying to please by being something you are not.

That opens up all sorts of ways to meet people.

I do think that blogging is a good, relatively safe platform to meet a like minded person.

I did meet the love of my life that way.:)

Turnbabys last blog post..Talking Sex

on June 9, 2008 at 1:41 PM

Robin-I hear ya! I just might have to do that.

on June 9, 2008 at 1:43 PM

Turnbaby-I can’t tell you how many times my advice was ignored. Even if I only got a PENNY every time, I’d be freakin’ rich!! How did you meet someone online? (TeeHee!)

24. Fantastagirl said:

on June 9, 2008 at 5:42 PM

I met Mr. Incredible in the grocery store, oh wait, I worked there… probably not a good idea to date someone you work with.

Fantastagirls last blog post..What to expect. update

25. Mik said:

on June 9, 2008 at 6:37 PM

Sorry not much help missus and I met online.

Miks last blog post..Some spectacular office spaces

on June 9, 2008 at 7:45 PM

Fantastagirl-Grocery store? Did you teach him how to squeeze your melons?

on June 9, 2008 at 7:46 PM

Mik-Everyone hooked up on line??? Geez! I got to the party late again!!!!

28. Mik said:

on June 9, 2008 at 8:38 PM

Both daughters met their guys online too, we couldn’t really say much in response to that! One is still married the other divorced.

Miks last blog post..Some spectacular office spaces

on June 9, 2008 at 9:39 PM

Mik-See the example that you set??

30. hello haha narf said:

on June 10, 2008 at 6:58 AM

people meet in places other than bars?
    who knew?!??!!
    :d

hello haha narfs last blog post..Scary? Gorgeous?

on June 10, 2008 at 7:37 AM

hellohahanaraf-Oh puh-leez! :-j But are you a bar regular (where they know your name), a floozy (who flirts with all the men) a fly(who just sits and get trashed) or a worker (bartender,waitress,hooker-who works the room for the men)??Sis is in between a floozy and a fly.

32. hello haha narf said:

on June 10, 2008 at 2:46 PM

which am i?
    depends on the day!

*cracking up at the truth of my comment*

hello haha narfs last blog post..Scary? Gorgeous?

on June 10, 2008 at 2:58 PM

hellohahanarf-I would say that your are probably just a harmless floozy. (You DON’T get paid right?)

34. hello haha narf said:

on June 10, 2008 at 10:31 PM

i meant that i USED to get paid to tend bar or wait tables, ya nut! but yeah, most of the time it is harmless floozy.
    o:-)