Thursday September 04th 2008, 8:55 PM
Filed under: concerts,family,happy,holiday,Hubs,lessons

She Bopped

When we last met, Metalmom was riding the day away at high speed…..

I did more than just ride the rides, ya know. I saw lots of interesting things:

Like the dorky goth kids dressed in long black pants and long sleeved shirts in 90 degree weather….

Like the chick who had a purple kool-aid dye-job in her hair, went on a water ride and then had purple dripping down her forehead and neck….

Like the redneck covered in tattoos, wearing a NASCAR shirt, dragging his kids saying “Ya’ll hurry on up ‘fore I take yore sorry asses back to granny’s. I’ll give ya sumpin’ to cry ’bout, I’ll tell you what!”

And then there were animals.

virginia-062.jpg

We are posing with “Duke” the Budweiser Clydesdale. Isn’t he a beauty? Those horses were huge and so gentle. He even bent down low so a little kid could pet him- Without being told to!

virginia-056.jpg

These horse shoes should give you an idea of just how big they actually are! (And you know what they say about “big shoes”….)

virginia-072.jpg

We saw grey wolves and heard them howling. It was so cool. But it was an incredibly eerie sound too.

virginia-070.jpg

There were about three American Bald Eagles that we could see. I was a bit surprised at how big these birds actually are!

virginia-074.jpg

And there were parrots too. They came right over to where we were standing and began to pose. There were others but they moved so often, that most of my pictures blurred.

So yeah, Metalmom went out of her way to enjoy strolling along with Hubs just looking at the animals and marvelling at their beauty. This was pretty tame, and to me, “theme park” and “tame”  just never seemed to mesh. However, I really enjoyed this.

There was something else that I liked (that I really expected to just tolerate)

virginia-082.jpg

My friends, these are the Four Tops. Now, I did grow up hearing their music played frequently. But that was my parents’ music. To me they were the “oldies”. I’m far too cool to listen to them!

But my Hubs likes loves the moldies oldies. He has the oldie channels pre-programmed into the car and work trucks. He watches the reunion specials on TV whenever they are on. When I heard that the Four Tops were going to be at Busch Gardens at the same time we were there, I knew that we had to go. I prepared myself to smile through clenched teeth just to show my man how much I love him.

And then it happened.

virginia-080.jpg

They came out and sang. At first, my toe tapped. And then my head bobbed a little. Eventually I began to sway in my seat. Finally I STOOD UP IN THE AISLE AND DANCED!

(*Can someone revive the reader who just passed out?)

They put on a great show for older guys. It was hot as hell. But they were so cool that I could barely see a glimmer of sweat on their foreheads. They were like Fonzie and we all know that Fonzie is cool!

It was the best theme park vacation I’ve had in like…….FOR-EV-AH!

And now……for your listening pleasure…..I give you….The Four Tops!!!

1. Froggywoogie said:

on September 5, 2008 at 12:59 AM

Be careful, you’re getting ol*… musically matured!

Froggywoogies last blog post..Sea Men

2. Mik said:

on September 5, 2008 at 2:13 AM

Very cool time looks to have been had.

Carolyn has started her WordPress blog again, I’ll put blog address in URL field above.

Miks last blog post..I AM BACK

3. bubblewench said:

on September 5, 2008 at 7:08 AM

4tops are awesome! Go MM! Dance dance dance!

4. Robin said:

on September 5, 2008 at 7:56 AM

I can’t see any horses today.

on September 5, 2008 at 8:15 AM

Did you rule the mosh pit at the 4 Tops? If there wasn’t one, you should have created it.

Grants last blog post..Bunniest

6. Evil Genius said:

on September 5, 2008 at 8:41 AM

An awesome time was had by all.

I’m so jealous!!! Glad you enjoyed it so much. And dancing in the aisles? Girl, you’ve got it going on!!!! :d

Evil Geniuss last blog post..Of All the Bad Luck

on September 5, 2008 at 8:43 AM

Froggywoogie-Good thing you caught yourself before you said something you’d regret!! I’d hate to have to block you from commenting! ;)

on September 5, 2008 at 8:44 AM

Mik-It was a great time! *I’ve been by to see Carolyn* :)

on September 5, 2008 at 8:45 AM

bubblewench-I was told “You’ll hurt yourself if you keep that up!” Fortunately, I was in the land of Anheiser-Busch and I really didn’t care at that point! :))

on September 5, 2008 at 8:46 AM

Robin-No? Are you feeling sad? :(

on September 5, 2008 at 8:48 AM

Grant-There were actually two pits! One was full of kids 12 and under and the other was full of ‘professional’ dancers doing swings and shuffles and other stuff that I don’t do!

on September 5, 2008 at 8:49 AM

Evil Genius-It was a super vacation. We all had so much fun that we are considering doing it again next year! :d

on September 5, 2008 at 9:19 AM

It IS true what they say about big shoes. At least in the case of the Clydesdales. We saw a young male in Tampa who was very glad to see us. Impressive to say the least.

Eagles are cool, aren’t they?

Finns last blog post..Reader’s Choice: That Good Night

on September 5, 2008 at 11:57 AM

Finn-It’s funny that you would say that! As we drove past a field, we saw a “big fellow”. Let me tell ya, there’s a reason why they call them studs! :o I think it’s because they are a national symbol that I am drawn to the eagle. They were spectacular to behold (I missed the photo op when it spread its wings :( )

15. whall said:

on September 5, 2008 at 1:07 PM

I would’ve loved to have seen the 4 tops – most any kind of music live is fun to participate in.

16. Trukindog said:

on September 5, 2008 at 5:57 PM

So are we to take this Four Tops thing as a confession that you really do have a…Soul heh heh soul get it heh uhh yeeeeeah ok I’m done. :-\

Trukindogs last blog post..GUILT

17. Carolyn said:

on September 5, 2008 at 8:09 PM

Sounds like a fun time to me. :d

Carolyns last blog post..I AM BACK

18. Carolyn said:

on September 5, 2008 at 8:11 PM

By The Way Hello to you

Carolyns last blog post..I AM BACK

19. Winter said:

on September 5, 2008 at 10:18 PM

Draft horses are really big. I have a photo of Motley with Zeus, a Percheron at the stable she used to ride at. And we have wild parrots at the cemetery. They fly all over the city of Orange and are often at the cemetery because of all the trees. Looks like you had a great time! I love it when vacations turn out right!

Winters last blog post..Popped

20. that girl said:

on September 5, 2008 at 11:03 PM

wow … i haven’t been there since i was 17 … holy cow that was 20 years ago … god i feel old … but damn do i love a roller coaster … wanna take my kids to six flags magic mt in cali … just waiting for ’em to sprout a little more so they don’t get left out of any

that girls last blog post..are those cows made of gold

on September 5, 2008 at 11:24 PM

whall-I’m learning that…slowly but surely!

on September 5, 2008 at 11:24 PM

Trukindog- You are such a goof!! :)) (I did laugh my ass off at that though!!)

on September 5, 2008 at 11:25 PM

Carolyn-I’m so happy to know that you are back and feeling much better! :*

on September 5, 2008 at 11:26 PM

Winter-We have a friend that owns a few parrots but they are nothing like the ones that we saw. We had an awesome time!

on September 5, 2008 at 11:29 PM

that girl-Hmm…when you were 17…and that was 20 years ago….that would make you….thir-…never mind! :o Make sure your kids get to Disney World! We went there years ago and 8-14 is like the perfect time to go (while they still believe in the magic!)