Friday September 05th 2008, 11:23 PM
Filed under: family,happy,lessons,love,music

Take One For the Team

Every experience in our lives is an opportunity to learn, even a vacation.

I agreed to our trip to Virginia but I wasn’t overly enthusiastic. Son1 had told me about his plans to go with Shenanigan and Jazz long before I had gone to the shore. I was a little annoyed because, as his mom, I wanted to see him put his money into something else. *coughweddingcough*  When he told his dad that he was going, Hubs thought it was a cool idea.

Hubs told me to check into the cost of the hotel where Son1 had already made his reservations. I dragged my feet about it. I made excuses that I was too busy to check things out.

You see, driving the two hours to the shore can be pretty taxing on my back. If I take precautions, I can make the trip with the minimum of discomfort. But if that trip is only two hours, what will happen on a trip that takes five hours? Busch Gardens has coasters. If everyone else went on the rides, what would I  get to do?

History-at least American History- has been drilled into my head since I was a kid. Living outside of Philadelphia as I do, touring historical sites was a staple of class trips. I really didn’t want to go and walk all day in the heat and see more of it.

But I finally relented. I would go for my husband, who for a change was excited about the prospect of the trip. I told myself that “At least it would be something different“.

Then  there was the Four Tops. This would be another chance for me to be a  martyr for my husband’s happiness. I would go and pretend to have a good time.

But somewhere along the way, I learned something.

If I would just relax and give things a chance I might be surprised.

Hubs graciously agreed to make frequent stops while driving so that I could stretch my back. This made the trip pleasant. As for the trip through history, I was so busy hoping that it wouldn’t rain on us, that I forgot to bitch about the heat and my aching feet. As long as I took the precautions and was careful about the rides I went on, I could ride just like everyone else. And if I would just open my mind a wee bit, I might enjoy the music and dance.

So I learned that *gasp!* it isn’t always gonna be about me.

Sometimes I’ll have to take one for the team. But it’s up to me to make it a home run.

1. Froggywoogie said:

on September 6, 2008 at 6:26 AM

That is a great post and we all have to learn from it. Yes without noticing it we sometimes impose restrictions to others because they can have plans that don’t match what pleases us.
    Compromises haven’t been created for nothing :)
    Very inspirational. Thank you

(%)

Froggywoogies last blog post..Sea Men

on September 6, 2008 at 11:06 AM

Froggywoogie- :"> Thank you.

3. Loving Annie said:

on September 6, 2008 at 11:25 AM

Those are good things to find out. Good for you, Metalmom !
    Glad you enjoyed it after all :)

Loving Annies last blog post..Necessary Knowledge :)

4. whall said:

on September 6, 2008 at 11:55 AM

You didn’t mention me once in this post. (sniff)

I definitely love having the “whatever, whenever” approach to things like vacations. Schedules are for the birds.

on September 6, 2008 at 12:38 PM

I don’t trust Yankee revisionist history. Ever since we won that war to end slavery and bring decent cooking to the North (still working on the second one), you guys have been fibbing in the history books.

Grants last blog post..Random Discombobulation

on September 6, 2008 at 3:20 PM

LovingAnnie-It just a good thing that I learned something fun rather nasty!

on September 6, 2008 at 3:22 PM

whall-I’m sorry I didn’t mention you. Your ego wouldn’t fit in the post. ;)) I always thought I had that “whatever, whenever” attitude, but I was kind of surprised to learn that I didn’t really. I will try harder now.

on September 6, 2008 at 3:25 PM

Grant-As a Native American, you don’t have to tell me about ‘revisionist history’. Everyone operates as though our lands were appropriated by “white men who had our best interests at heart”! *And just where would I get a decent pecan pie if it weren’t the South? :)

9. Tug said:

on September 6, 2008 at 7:06 PM

Just catching up on all your vaca posts, looks like you had an awesome time! I haven’t been on a rollercoaster in awhile, but wow, do I love them!

Tugs last blog post..Bluebird of Happiness

10. wblmom said:

on September 7, 2008 at 8:45 AM

Very very very well put. Thank you too, just for reminded us of that.
    I too have gotten a little wrapped about certain things and think it should be about me and my needs and end up making something that could have been nice, into something I would rather forget.

wblmoms last blog post..No Wonder I Do Not Like Spiders

on September 7, 2008 at 11:45 AM

Tug-I am curious to see if I ever grow too old to enjoy them. I hope NEVER!!

on September 7, 2008 at 11:47 AM

wblmom-It wasn’t until the ride home that I realized that I had been focused on myself. Now I’ll try to make a conscious effort not to do that!

13. Carolyn said:

on September 7, 2008 at 9:33 PM

I Love Weddings. Metal here is my old Blog I was using Mik lost mine as well. So I decided I am going to just stay at the blogger one for me. Can I ask your first name? LOL!!

Carolyns last blog post..My Other Blog is down for a bit

on September 8, 2008 at 8:22 AM

Carolyn-I added your blog to my RSS feed.(And I believe you got the email :) )