Tuesday December 09th 2008, 6:24 PM
Filed under: Uncategorized

Visiting ‘Home’-Part 1

My mom was born and raised in Taos, New Mexico (Not Mexico, the country next to Texas, but NEW Mexico, next to Arizona and Colorado). Specifically in the Taos Pueblo reservation. Growing up, whenever we referred to where Granma and Granpa lived, it was called ‘back home’. I had the opportunity to visit ‘home’ when I was twelve.

Granma’s house was unlike anything I had ever seen. It was made of adobe. It had no second floor. There was electricity in a limited area of the house and there was no indoor plumbing. (That wouldn’t be installed for another 15 years.) It was part of what they referred to as the farm. I would describe it more like a compound.

In the center of a circle was a large garden filled with fruit trees, area for vegetables, flowers and herbs. This was also where the well was located. Around the circle was a barn, a stable for the horses, Aunt K’s house and Uncle C’s house,the ‘horno’ oven and the outhouse. To me, it was like something from a movie and it was cool.

That dome in the front is a horno oven. It is fueled by wood.

It was alien to me to bathe in a large steel basin in water that was heated on the stove. I helped draw the water from the well. I helped make the bread that was baked in the ‘horno’ oven every day. I slopped pigs and fed chickens.I also helped Granma make her clay pottery. (She was famous for her pottery and some of it is on display in one of the museums in Santa Fe.)

For playtime, I went across the dirt road and crossed a field to the stream that was clear as glass. I’d roll up my pants and wade through for hours. I could see small fish and water bugs skittering  atop the water. It was icy cold and I could drink right from the stream itself.

It was July of 1974. I would be there for a month. It was a different time, a different environment, and a different culture. But the most exciting memory for me was……*

*To be continued…..

1. Teri said:

on December 9, 2008 at 7:23 PM

OH GOD, you big tease!>:p

Teris last blog post..Technology…..UGH!

2. Giggle Pixie said:

on December 9, 2008 at 7:59 PM

Awesome, girl! I can’t even imagine what this must have been like!

Giggle Pixies last blog post..Is It Wrong That I Find This Hysterically Funny?

on December 9, 2008 at 8:06 PM

Teri-Hold your water, girl!! All will be revealed! :))

on December 9, 2008 at 8:08 PM

Giggle Pixie-It was an incredible summer. But at this stage in my life all the memories kind of mesh into one…Except for the big one…

on December 9, 2008 at 9:14 PM

Yes… and? :-ss

on December 9, 2008 at 9:41 PM

Finn-Tune in tomorrow for the next exciting episode! :))

7. jGrrl said:

on December 10, 2008 at 10:51 AM

This is truly amazing. The only time you see that kinda culture here in Canada is during the summer powwows and a few odd festivals – our Natives have long since lost their original identities, thank god there are committees devoted to regaining a sense of self for the people. You are so incredibly fortunate hun ♥

Oh, and that meat ‘stuff’ iin the post before this – it looks like heaven!

8. Trukindog said:

on December 10, 2008 at 11:03 AM

Awesome darlin, I love time travel into the past even if it’s just in our heads and I can hardly wait to hear what “the big one” is.

Trukindogs last blog post..HOW MANY REMEMBER ?

on December 10, 2008 at 11:34 AM

jGrrl-Unfortunately, Mom either forgets or is too self-conscious to teach me and my sibs the language. One of my brothers is considered an ‘elder’ even though he is only 40! He has been involved in a ritual or two. Our culture is disappearing too. Most of my knowledge is ‘self-taught’. :(
    And the meat stuff (scrapple) is awesomely good. You would probably be a whiz at making it homemade.

on December 10, 2008 at 11:36 AM

Trukindog-I can guarantee that it is one that you in particular will enjoy. I enjoy the ‘way-back’ machine too. It’s funny that so many of us have similar upbringings and yet we all also have such unique experiences.

11. jGrrl said:

on December 10, 2008 at 12:17 PM

Its a real tragedy that so much is being lost – my grrl T once asked me to help her find stuff about her people because though most of her childhood was spent on a res – nobody taught her anything. She was stunned to learn that I knew more about her heritage than she did, it only made me wanna cry…

on December 10, 2008 at 1:02 PM

It’s a darned good thing you didn’t realize I was peeing upstream from you at the time.

Whoops!

Grants last blog post..Tuesday – bleah

on December 10, 2008 at 1:07 PM

jGrrl-It is happening more and more all over…:((

on December 10, 2008 at 1:08 PM

Grant-Really? It must have been the Grant juice that made the water taste so good! :))

15. Janelle said:

on December 10, 2008 at 2:32 PM

I can’t wait to read what comes next

Janelles last blog post..What Then?

on December 10, 2008 at 4:18 PM

Janelle-Soon, my dear, soon! :)

17. Trukindog said:

on December 10, 2008 at 5:08 PM

Heh, now I’m all a twitter with anticipation. :d

Trukindogs last blog post..HOW MANY REMEMBER ?

on December 10, 2008 at 5:46 PM

Trukindog-Can I see you a-twittering? :))

19. Trukindog said:

on December 10, 2008 at 7:21 PM

You show me yours & I’ll show you mine. =))

Trukindogs last blog post..HOW MANY REMEMBER ?

on December 10, 2008 at 7:38 PM

Trukindog-Oh, honey, I’d ruin you for other women! You’d never be the same!!

21. Trukindog said:

on December 10, 2008 at 8:39 PM

Heh heh heh ruin me, I dare ya! :d

Trukindogs last blog post..HOW MANY REMEMBER ?