Wednesday January 14th 2009, 5:46 PM
Filed under: ineptitude,other shit,weather,Winter

How Cold??

Minnesota- Bitterly cold. Abundant sunshine. High around -5F. Winds WNW at 5 to 10 mph.

I thought that was pretty damn cold. Just trying to imagine it made my joints ache. So I looked around the internet to see what everyone else was getting.

Chicago- Bitterly cold. Intervals of clouds and sunshine. Dangerous wind chills may approach -25F. High near 0F. Winds WNW at 15 to 25 mph

-25?? Jeez!! Do I consider that to be ‘bitterly cold’? Oh, hell, no! I think that qualifies as ‘fucking cold’! Then I tried to think about a place that would be colder than that. Hmm….Maybe Alaska?

Anchorage, Alaska- Rain and snow showers in the morning. The rain and snow will change to rain showers in the afternoon. Temps nearly steady in the mid 30s. Winds ESE at 10 to 15 mph. Chance of precip 60%.

MID 30s!!! Did someone forget to send Alaska the memo stating that it was WINTER??  Where do they get off being warmer than Chicago? After I recovered from my surprise, I turned on the television to see what was happening in my neck of the woods

Philadelphia,PA-Sunny to partly cloudy. Colder. High around 25F. Winds WNW at 10 to 20 mph.

The weatherman tossed around words like “bitter winter weather”, “freezing conditions”, and my favorite- “dangerously cold”. For 25 degrees? I don’t think so. In my opinion, it’s cold. But is it ‘dangerous’?  Nah! Compared to Chicago, it’s damn near summertime!

Why do they hype this shit up? Why isn’t ‘cold’ acceptable? What words will they use when Philadelphia is covered by ten feet of snow and the wind is blowing forty miles an hour? What new word will describe -30?

I propose “blizzardly freezious”.

1. Giggle Pixie said:

on January 14, 2009 at 6:24 PM

And I thought it was bad here. It’s 9F now, and tomorrow’s high is 4F (both days with wind chills below zero). We’re getting the lake effect snows off the lake (Lake Michigan) but luckily it seems we’re not “getting their cold”! HA!

Giggle Pixies last blog post..Was There Really Any Doubt?

on January 14, 2009 at 6:36 PM

Pixie-I can’t believe the way the weathermen are ‘crying wolf’. I’m sure the frigid stuff is making it’s way here, but when other places are so very much colder than here, they shouldn’t be calling 25 degrees a “polar push” or “arctic blast”!

3. delmer said:

on January 14, 2009 at 8:04 PM

It was about 12F here, with ice and snow on the road, when a guy went down the street on a mountain bike.

It started snowing after that — we’ve got four inches on the ground … roughly.

delmers last blog post..What this picture doesn’t tell you

on January 14, 2009 at 8:12 PM

delmer-Is 12F considered ‘bitter’ or ‘freezing’ cold? :)

5. Fantastagirl said:

on January 14, 2009 at 9:27 PM

I had a comment – and it disappeared…. darn it…

It’s current -10 degree F (which is -23.33 degrees C for the non-Americans) the current “feels like” temp is -31 degrees – which in my opinion is “hella cold”.

As Tink put it – “Momma, my boogers froze in my nose”

Tomorrows wake up temp? Minus 25 degrees with 25 to 30 mph winds… yeah, I don’t think they are having school tomorrow either.

6. whall said:

on January 14, 2009 at 11:27 PM

I want some snow.

whalls last blog post..Why Liberals Suck (in government)

on January 15, 2009 at 8:34 AM

Fantastagirl- =)) Oh that Tink is funny!! I’d be keeping my kids home too. It really is hella cold!

on January 15, 2009 at 8:36 AM

whall-I think you’re nuts! The snow in my area hasn’t been very much this year and after watching the news, I’d like to keep it that way!

9. Turnbaby said:

on January 15, 2009 at 9:32 AM

That picture is how cold Brad thinks it is right now–in fact that may BE a pic of Brad;-)

Turnbabys last blog post..Shiny Things

10. robin said:

on January 15, 2009 at 10:27 AM

blizzardly frezious works for me.

on January 15, 2009 at 10:31 AM

The highs in Tokyo should climb into the 60’s this week. I was hoping it would be colder so little J-bunnies with no USB boob warmers would have to run to me for comfort. If you don’t know what a USB boob warmer is, you’ve been a bad blogger and have been ignoring my site.

Grants last blog post..Interview Meme, part Joe

on January 15, 2009 at 10:59 AM

Turnbaby-I’ve wondered how he’s been coping. He’s such a crybaby! :((

on January 15, 2009 at 11:00 AM

Robin-Coming from someone who has ‘beenthere/donethat’, I’m glad you approve! :d

on January 15, 2009 at 11:02 AM

Grant-I’m getting there! I swear! Slowly but surely I’m working way through the blogroll. Tokyo sounds good right about now. 8->

15. teri said:

on January 15, 2009 at 12:05 PM

This is one thing I hate about Philly weatherman. They hype it up so much that you tend to ignore them over time.

But it is fuckin cold out there.

As a side note, my coworker is visiting from our Chicago office and he said the same thing, -25 degrees.

teris last blog post..Wanted: someone to walk the beach

on January 15, 2009 at 12:27 PM

Teri-Well?? Does he think it’s ‘fuckin cold’, ‘hella cold’, or ‘blizzardly freezious’?? :-

17. Mariah said:

on January 15, 2009 at 9:07 PM

Shit, sorry. It’s like in the 80’s here

Mariahs last blog post..DON’T TRIM THE BUSH!

on January 15, 2009 at 9:10 PM

Mariah-Bitch! Why ya rub salt in the wounds?? :((

19. Loving Annie said:

on January 15, 2009 at 9:48 PM

BRRRRRRRRR !

Metalmom, my new blog address is :

Loving Annies last blog post..Moving – See You There :)

20. Nobody™ said:

on January 15, 2009 at 10:26 PM

It’s COLD here.. It was -22 when I got up this morning. At lunch time, it was -17. They say it will be even colder tonight.

on January 16, 2009 at 5:25 AM

Nobody-My sympathies! Damn, that’s brutal!! Stay warm!

on January 16, 2009 at 5:30 AM

LovingAnnie-Can we all come and stay with you in the warm sunshine? (I’ve got the link) ;)

23. jGrrl said:

on January 16, 2009 at 9:58 AM

It is -30C here today and it was nearly that yesterday, thats all before the windchill factor and the wind was rocknig my house so bad that Weemale actually stumbled!

jGrrls last blog post..Remiss

on January 17, 2009 at 12:41 PM

jGrrl-“wind was rocking my house so bad that Weemale actually stumbled!” No Way!! Imagining this made me laugh so hard!

25. jGrrl said:

on January 17, 2009 at 1:30 PM

Its true – he was half asleep and got off the couch and just as he tried to right himself the wind shook the place and he staggered before he straightened out fully. He growled and stomped and went on his way…

jGrrls last blog post..[voice] Blah-blah