Wednesday January 21st 2009, 6:48 PM
Filed under: family,Fantastagirl,owies,weather,Winter

Lemme Share a Secret

I hate the cold. Not just this year with it’s unholy blasts of arctic winds, but every year. It is a standing joke among my family and friends that I “stop going out in November and stay in until May”

This isn’t far from the truth.

When I have little ones here, I don’t go out. Because I don’t drive, it is a pain in the ass to dress them in layer upon layer only for them to cry about having to pee or crying because their diaper has suddenly filled with shit. Then I have to peel them out of those clothes to remedy those situations. Sometimes young moms forget that their kids aren’t going to be in their stifling hot cars all day and they will need a coat or a hat or gloves. (Yes, I have had kids dropped off in blanket sleepers, a onesie and little else…in January)

I hate the ice. If it is icy, I am afraid of falling while out walking. You see, my middle name is not Grace so this is more than just a possibility. I have broken more than a few bones in my life and I am fearful of slipping and breaking a wrist or ankle.

I hate the wind. Because of my back, if my shirt isn’t tucked into my jeans, I risk having a stray breeze blowing up into my jacket and causing spasms in my lower back. They can make me stand still on the sidewalk gasping to catch my breath in their intensity.

Yet there is something exhilarating about feeling a crisp wind blowing redness into my cheeks. To borrow a phrase from Fantastagirl‘s daughter Tink, “my boogers will freeze”….or at least the nose hairs will. I like sweeping snow from my steps and the front walkway. (Not shoveling….sweeping!) I love the feeling of snowflakes falling gently on my face. I love the muffled silence that it brings.

The cold also means snuggling up in fluffy jammies or cozy sweats under a crocheted blanket on the couch. It means a mug of hot cocoa with the little marshmallows melting on the top. It means the smell of a nice stew or a pot of soup cooking on the stove for dinner.

It is the second part of my feelings that I must keep secret, hidden from my family. If they knew that I liked sweeping the snow, it would become my new job. If they knew that I liked lying on the couch, they would stop believing me when I say that I’m only lying there because I have a headache or cramps. (teehee)

Just don’t tell anyone, ‘kay?

on January 21, 2009 at 7:15 PM

My silence will cost you. Give me a dollar.

on January 21, 2009 at 7:35 PM

Grant-Aww,man! I shoulda seen that coming. You are devious,sir. De.vi.ous!

3. Loving Annie said:

on January 21, 2009 at 7:51 PM

I like cold weather when it is between 35 – 50… THAT I can handle… If I’ve got my warm stuff on and am going for a nice invigorating walk !

And I like what Grant said :)
    But I owe you money !

Loving Annies last blog post..Wednesday Appreciation The Letter "B"

on January 21, 2009 at 9:22 PM

LovingAnnie-I didn’t keep a secret…I spread it like a virus. ;) 35-50 isn’t cold. That’s just a bit nip. :)

5. Tug said:

on January 21, 2009 at 9:43 PM

I like snow (that I don’t have to shovel) and cold (if I’m not out much), but damn I hate shivering, can’t warm the ‘core’ shit.

Fireplaces are nice though. ;-)

Tugs last blog post..Couldn’t decide

6. jGrrl said:

on January 21, 2009 at 9:57 PM

That mean old man in the purple coat looks (and sounds) just like my Daddy, God rest his ornery old soul!

jGrrls last blog post..Grant’s Bunnies

on January 21, 2009 at 10:01 PM

Tug-If the top of my thighs are cold, then the rest of my body is cold. I used to put ‘hand warmers’ in the legs of my long underwear to keep ’em warm! My dog likes to curl up right there. I love it!

on January 21, 2009 at 10:02 PM

jGrrl-My dad used to say “You’re cold? Go put on a sweater” If I already had one on, he’d say “still cold? Then run around the block!” I hated that!!

9. Coal Miner's Granddaughter said:

on January 21, 2009 at 10:55 PM

Your secret is safe with me. :)

I’m actually an anti-summer person. From July until mid-September, I’m in the AC as much as possible.

Coal Miner’s Granddaughters last blog post..It’s Up To Me To Stay Drug Free

on January 21, 2009 at 10:58 PM

CMG-I can deal with the heat. Once the a/c comes on, I’m living in my jeans or sweats again….at least until I go outside…no wonder I get summer colds so often!

11. BlondeBlogger said:

on January 21, 2009 at 11:29 PM

Oooh, you poor thing! How awful that a cold breeze can cause your back to go into spasms. I hope the surgery keeps that from happening from now on.

We haven’t gotten any snow here (except for a few hours of what looked like an impressive snowfall that turned out to be nothing). I really miss it.

BlondeBloggers last blog post..Just Remember I Love You

12. kapgar said:

on January 22, 2009 at 7:45 AM

I’m done with snow, ice, wind, slush, and just the general ill will that comes along with it. Fuck it all.

kapgars last blog post..Rudie can’t fail…

on January 22, 2009 at 8:11 AM

BlondeBlogger-So far, so good. Keep your fingers crossed! 0:-)

on January 22, 2009 at 8:12 AM

kapgar-I know, baby, I know. I think of you every time they show Chicago on the news. :((

15. Robin said:

on January 22, 2009 at 9:26 AM

your secret is safe with me. i’m hibernating right now.

16. Philly said:

on January 22, 2009 at 9:33 AM

I love a good snowstorm. All we have gotten are a dusting here, an inch there. Bring on a Noreaster !!

#1

Phillys last blog post..YO!

on January 22, 2009 at 10:20 AM

Robin-I know you’re hibernating….move over! Share a corner of that quilt, will ya!

on January 22, 2009 at 10:21 AM

Philly-I am missing the snow this year. It’s the cold I hate the most. Keep your chin up…February is the month our area gets the most snow. :d

19. Giggle Pixie said:

on January 22, 2009 at 11:07 AM

Your secret is safe with me!!!

I love the snow, but like you I just don’t like the cold and the frigid winds. Unfortunately, they tend to come in pairs. :”>

Giggle Pixies last blog post..Tag! I’m It!

20. Hilly said:

on January 22, 2009 at 11:21 AM

I’m offering up an exchange program for one week only! You take away my always sunny days and I will take away your snow!

Act fast – limited time offer!

;)

Hillys last blog post..So Give Me Something To Blog About!

21. Janelle said:

on January 22, 2009 at 11:31 AM

My little girls says that her coat “traps” her when I put it on. *sigh* I hate the cold weather too.

Janelles last blog post..Stupid is as Stupid does

on January 22, 2009 at 11:39 AM

GigglePixie-I consider them the “Siamese Twins” of winter…snow and cold. :(

on January 22, 2009 at 11:40 AM

Hilly-DEAL!! Okay, how do we exchange? Paypal? :))

on January 22, 2009 at 11:42 AM

Janelle-“Traps” is a good word. I am picturing Ralphie’s brother in the “Christmas Story”…”I can’t put my arms down!” :((

25. teri said:

on January 22, 2009 at 12:27 PM

I’m with Philly, I miss having some good snow. I love snow for the same reasons you do but when I have to dig myself out to go to work…not so much. Let me hibernate in my house and have no obligations to deal with.

teris last blog post..A parent with money woes

on January 22, 2009 at 2:38 PM

Teri-I miss snow too. Maybe February… 8->

27. whall said:

on January 26, 2009 at 11:19 AM

Like I said, ship some of dat show down to us. We’ll take 2-3 days of it please.

whalls last blog post..Stuff you don’t want to MISC, #65

on January 26, 2009 at 5:31 PM

whall-Tonight they are calling for 4-6″. You might get your wish!