Wednesday February 04th 2009, 10:50 PM
Filed under: happy,weather,Winter

Snow

12:00 midnight

The snow that has fallen all day has finally decided to stick. Earlier, flakes melted as they hit the earth. Now they cling to trees, adorning the bare branches. The light coming from the house illuminates the trees from below, turning my yard into a latticed igloo. It is so still, so peaceful, so beautiful.

4:30 am

It has snowed all night. Even though there is no light, the world is still a luminous pearl-gray. A lone plow scrapes its way through the streets, its light flashing amber across the silent lawns, making way for the traffic that will come in a few short hours.

6:30am

Though the streets are clear (for the most part), there is no traffic. The neighborhood is still hushed. School will open two hours later, so the buses haven’t started yet. The sun will be rising soon and the light is beginning to come.

9:00 am

The yard that was once dim and gray is now bright. It looks like a bride, adorned in virginal white and delicate lace. A random squirrel scampers. A lone bird sits on the fence. Not a footstep spoils the pristine covering.

10:30 am

A slight wind has begun to blow. It shakes the treetops, dislodging the tufts of snow. Like dominoes, the snow falls from the peaks toppling more from the lower branches until it finally falls to the street below. The road disappears into the tree-created blizzard. As it falls into the sunshine, it looks like a sheer drape has been drawn.

12:00 noon

The morning is gone. Traffic now moves freely along the wet street. No longer pure, the snow now shows signs of humans. The cars are scraped. The walkways shoveled.

2:15 pm

As the day has warmed up, so have the trees. They have shrugged off the shawls of white. Branches now stand in stark contrast to clear blue sky.

5:00 pm

The night has returned. The darkness hides the yard that was once glowing with nature’s beauty. No photograph can capture the image. There is no light. The dark is so deep that the flash is sucked into it’s depth.

Seventeen hours of observation. Not one moment was boring to watch. I have captured it here to enjoy at my leisure. It will remind me of the winter while I swelter in the summer. When I hear news that makes me doubt the existence of God, His beautiful work will be documented as proof. And when I am saddened, I will remember the day that I was quiet, and happy watching Mother Nature’s handiwork.

1. Loving Annie said:

on February 5, 2009 at 8:37 AM

You took a wonderful progression of pictures, Metalmom ! The snow and the changes in the light are magnificent !

Loving Annies last blog post..Wednesday Appreciation : The Letter "D"

2. Robin said:

on February 5, 2009 at 9:13 AM

A. When did you get so damn sentimental?
    B. Snow is evil. Period.

Robins last blog post..Who’s Hot For Teacher?

on February 5, 2009 at 9:36 AM

LovingAnnie-I wanted to take just a picture or two, but everything changed so much within a short time that I had to do it! :)

on February 5, 2009 at 9:38 AM

Robin-A:I’m a bitch, I’m a lover, I’m a wife, I’m a mother….I think sentimental slips in there somewhere.

B:Snow is cold.Cold is evil.I guess you’re right, snow is evil. Who knew?

5. Froggywoogie said:

on February 5, 2009 at 10:16 AM

Those are beautiful pics and 9.00 am and 10.30 am are pure poetry.
    Glad you haven’t been standing outside all this time or you’d have been turned into a freezing metal snow mom. :)

Froggywoogies last blog post..Happy Family

on February 5, 2009 at 10:48 AM

Snow – ha ha ha ha ha ha haaaaa! It’s not a factor in my life.

Grants last blog post..Random Bunny Friday

on February 5, 2009 at 11:08 AM

FroggyWoogie-10:30 was my favorite. I liked the sunlight coming through. If I had stood outside, my eyeball would have frozen to the lens!!

on February 5, 2009 at 11:10 AM

Grant-Oh how could you laugh? Cruel! That’s what you are!! :p

9. Giggle Pixie said:

on February 5, 2009 at 11:34 AM

These sights are exactly why I love winter. You captured it beautifully!!

Giggle Pixies last blog post..Politically Correct Vocabulary Lesson

on February 5, 2009 at 11:48 AM

GigglePixie-Thank you. And I did it all without stepping foot outside of my door!

11. Hannah said:

on February 5, 2009 at 1:17 PM

Hi,
    New here.:) I hate the snow, but you make it look so beautiful! Great pics!:)

12. Turnbaby said:

on February 5, 2009 at 2:02 PM

You got some awesome shots of Mother Nature playing dress up.

Turnbabys last blog post..So Much Beauty

13. delmer said:

on February 5, 2009 at 3:14 PM

As much as I dislike the snow when it stays around too long, or has been driven through making it ugly — I love it when it makes things look nice and and when it brings a sense of quiet and calm.

delmers last blog post..Unburp the ERP

14. Tug said:

on February 5, 2009 at 3:22 PM

I love snow (as long as I don’t have to shovel), just hate the cold. We’re supposed to hit 70 today, with snow on Sunday. :o

Tugs last blog post..Pinwheel

on February 5, 2009 at 4:16 PM

Hannah-Welcome and thank you. Stop in again! :)

on February 5, 2009 at 4:18 PM

Turnbaby-Aww, thanks babe! :">

on February 5, 2009 at 4:20 PM

delmer-I woke up today and the street is grungy. I love day one…and that’s it!

on February 5, 2009 at 4:22 PM

Tug-It is freezing here today but it is supposed to warm up by this weekend. That’s why everyone gets sick this time of year!! :o

19. Cheer34 said:

on February 5, 2009 at 6:49 PM

Beautiful

Cheer34s last blog post..BEER!

on February 5, 2009 at 8:39 PM

Cheer34-Thank you :">

21. Poppy said:

on February 7, 2009 at 9:15 PM

I am way too distracted by the fact that you’re awake way too many hours of the day.

And in VT that’s an eyelash bat of snow, but in NYC OMG THAT’S HORRIBLE!

Poppys last blog post..The one where I called him by the wrong man’s name

on February 8, 2009 at 10:43 AM

Poppy-At midnight, I was waiting to hear that my son was sleeping at his cousin’s instead of driving home. At 4:30 the dog woke me up to go outside, and 6:30, I got up to hear that school was opening 2 hours late. So, don’t worry….each time, I took a picture and ran back to the warmth of my bed!!