Wednesday February 11th 2009, 10:13 PM
Filed under: birthday,celebration,family,happy,love

Special Day

February 12 is a special day in our family. It has been for the past 13 years.

Twenty-one years ago, my SIL was pregnant with her first child and the betting began. As a family that loves gambling, they began a pool, betting on what day the baby would be born, boy or girl, weight, and times. Although SIL wasn’t due until the 20th, I made my bet jokingly. “The baby will be born on my birthday”

And she was. A beautiful baby girl with huge blue eyes. She had not a hair on her head. When she did grow hair, it was the fairest downy blonde and it barely grew longer that an inch until she was three. She looked like Tweety Bird. She would become my favorite niece.

Eight years later, another SIL was pregnant. Again, the betting began. What are the odds of fate doing it again? So again, I jokingly said “The baby will be born on my birthday”. On the 10th, my SIL was having bad pains. Everyone said “Oh you were so close! I told you it couldn’t happen again!”

Oh, but it did. Again, on my birthday, a beautiful baby girl was born. She too had blonde hair and blue eyes. She looked exactly like her mother. She would become my favorite niece.

Today, I turn 47. Donna will turn 21. Sabrina will turn 13.

We will call each other….each attempting to be the first to wish each other happy birthday. Sometimes we stay awake and call at midnight. Other times, I have woken up at 4am and called them. They have woken me up at 6am. This has been going on since Sabrina turned 4 and learned how to dial a phone. (Now that phone is surgically attached to her hand–or at least it seems that way!)

Sabrina will have her first tween-aged party on Friday night.

Donna and I, however will celebrate with my SILs, and all the cousins over 21. We will “crawl” our way down a street lined with clubs, stopping into each one to toast to the ‘birthday girls’.

And yes, I called each of them “my favorite niece”. Every niece is my favorite niece. And every day with them is a special day.

Happy birthday, Donna and Sabrina. I’m gonna call you both FIRST!

1. bluepaintred said:

on February 11, 2009 at 10:50 PM

that is SO cool! happy birthday to all Three of you! :d

on February 11, 2009 at 11:01 PM

bluepaintred-Thanks for the wishes! Now if I can only stay up one more hour, I’ll have a shot at being first!

3. Rachel said:

on February 12, 2009 at 5:11 AM

happy birthday to you. Have a great day and enjoy the night

Rachels last blog post..Here’s the deal

4. Robin said:

on February 12, 2009 at 9:53 AM

Wow, what a coincidence! I actually have the same birthday as my stepdaughter, which is weird enough for me.

Happy Birthdays!!!

Robins last blog post..Ditsy Bimbos

on February 12, 2009 at 10:08 AM

Sounds like the mark of the devil to me.

Grants last blog post..Interview Meme, part thankgoditsover

on February 12, 2009 at 10:12 AM

I love symmetry! In my family we don’t give birth on someone’s birthday, we marry someone who has the same birthday as a family member!

My stepdad’s birthday is the same as my grandmother’s. My uncle’s birthday the same as my grandfather’s, etc.

Happy Birthday to all of the “girls”! Have a wonderful day and enjoy your celebration. xo

Finns last blog post..This Is A Stupid Post

on February 12, 2009 at 10:13 AM

Rachel-Thanks and I hope it’s not too good or I won’t remember it!

on February 12, 2009 at 10:14 AM

Robin-That is cool. It makes for fun celebrations.

on February 12, 2009 at 10:16 AM

Grant-We are more evil than the devil. 12-12-12 is twice as bad!

on February 12, 2009 at 10:18 AM

Finn-That is funny. We just tend to repeat names with no imagination. Joe married Joanne and had two kids named Joe and Joanna. Joanne’s parents are Joe and Joanne.And her brother is Joe. How’s that for creepy??

11. Turnbaby said:

on February 12, 2009 at 1:58 PM

You are older than Brad:o:o:o:d

Turnbabys last blog post..Something To Do With Food

on February 12, 2009 at 3:00 PM

Turnbaby-Did you really comment or was it your EQUALLY OLD boyfriend pretending to be you?

13. Turnbaby said:

on February 12, 2009 at 3:15 PM

LOL–nope it was me

He’s got 26 days left at 46*giggling*

Turnbabys last blog post..Something To Do With Food

on February 12, 2009 at 3:19 PM

Turnbaby-I was just making sure he wasn’t disrespecting his elders. :))

15. Tug said:

on February 12, 2009 at 3:48 PM

Happy Happy MetalMamaDay!!! Happies to your neices as well.

My daughter was born on my dad’s birthday…my grandson was born on my grandma’s. ;-)

Tugs last blog post..Frosty the Fence

on February 12, 2009 at 4:12 PM

Tug-That is so cool. And thank you mucho for the wishes! :*

17. cheer34 said:

on February 12, 2009 at 6:41 PM

Happy Birthday to all of you

cheer34s last blog post..I gave it some time…….

18. fantastagirl said:

on February 12, 2009 at 9:22 PM

Happy birthday to you!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    and to your favorite nieces as well!

on February 12, 2009 at 9:23 PM

cheer34-Thank you dear cheer! :)

on February 12, 2009 at 9:23 PM

fantastagirl-Aww, you’re sweet! :)

21. HoosierGirl said:

on February 12, 2009 at 10:15 PM

HAPPY, HAPPY, HAPPY BIRTHDAY! HAPPY, HAPPY, HAPPY BIRTHDAY! HAPPY, HAPPY, HAPPY BIRTHDAY….TO YOU, TO YOU, TO YOU!!!(*)(*)(*)(*)(*)

J.

HoosierGirls last blog post..In Memoriam

on February 12, 2009 at 11:14 PM

HoosierGirl-:)) :)) :)) You’re a nut! Thanks! :*

23. HoosierGirl said:

on February 13, 2009 at 7:08 AM

You’re just NOW figuring that out? Come on, I ALWAYS been a nut! Hee, hee. =:)

J.

HoosierGirls last blog post..Happy Self-Love Day!