Saturday February 14th 2009, 11:43 PM
Filed under: concerts,fantasy,happy,kids,music

My Son the Rock Star

Son2 has been going to concerts since about the age of 12. His best friend’s older brothers would take him and Mat to see bands like Korn. Finally Son1 and his friends were old enough to drive and they would take Son2 along. Somewhere along the way, Son2 became brave. He entered a mosh pit and a monster was born.

Every time he left the house to see a show, my heart would be in my throat until I heard his key in the door. He would come home with an impressive array of scrapes, scratches, bruises and once or twice, teethmarks.

Finally, this past year he decided that he-in his own words-“was too old for this shit.” He gave up mosh pits and crowd surfing. Since he lacks health insurance, this was a smart move.

He has been injured more since giving up this shit. Just last July, his nose was broken. On Friday night, his lip was split by a drunk who was aiming for someone else. But last week, what was almost a misadventure ended up being a night to remember.

Son2 went to see one of his favorite bands, The Dillinger Escape Plan. He arrived early enough to stake out a spot directly in front of the stage. They came out with their pyrotechnics and their grindingly loud music. Son2 sang along with the songs.

Suddenly, a surge began toward the front of the stage. My boy leaned back and braced his legs against the stage trying to keep the crowd from crushing those in front. This maneuver worked and the tide eased up allowing security to do their job. But while he was braced, someone pushed my son’s butt and back from below and he was lifted.

“Mom, I was lifted into position to crowd surf and my first thought was “oh shit! I don’t wanna do this!” I turned my head to yell at the guys below me and I suddenly felt the front of my shirt get grabbed.”

The lead singer had reached down into the crowd, grabbed my son’s shirt, and pulled him onstage!!!

Thrusting the microphone in front of my son, he said, “I watched you singing along and then I saw what you did. Come join us.”

And he did. For an entire set my son was the lead singer for Dillinger Escape Plan!  I WAS METALMOM FOR REAL!!!!

Because these things tend to get crazy, my son and his friends leave their cell phones in the car. Too many of them have been smashed and lost in the mayhem.

NO ONE WAS ABLE TO TAKE A PICTURE OR VIDEO OF THIS!!!!!!

My son feels confident that eventually something will show up on YouTube or My Space. I am hoping and praying that this is true.

Son2 deserves to have a record of his night in the spotlight.

1. bluepaintred said:

on February 15, 2009 at 1:36 AM

That is SOOOOOO awesomely cool! I sure hope a video of him does surface! WOW

2. People in the Sun said:

on February 15, 2009 at 2:05 AM

That really cool. Congratulations on having a cool son.

People in the Suns last blog post..I will not write a Valentine’s post

on February 15, 2009 at 11:07 AM

I never was invited onstage, but a picture on Slayer’s website once showed me in the front row when I was 33, so I doubt your son is too old. Tell him to be a man and get back in the pit. Also demand payment for being the lead singer.

Seriously, though, that’s cool. :d

Grants last blog post..Happy VD!

on February 15, 2009 at 11:46 AM

bluepaintred-I keep looking…..I WILL post it if it surfaces!! \m/

on February 15, 2009 at 11:48 AM

People in the Sun-He is so cool, he’s like ice….just not Vanilla Ice! =))

on February 15, 2009 at 11:50 AM

Grant-Oh, I’m sure that he will be in the concert circuit for many years to come. \m/

7. Loving Annie said:

on February 15, 2009 at 12:07 PM

What an awesome thing to have happento Son2 – hope that someone got it on tape !

Loving Annies last blog post..Bottega Napa Valley, Yountville

on February 15, 2009 at 12:21 PM

LovingAnnie-I think it’s an awesome thing to happen to anyone but extra special because it happened to Son2! \m/

9. Giggle Pixie said:

on February 15, 2009 at 4:29 PM

Ooooh, I hope there’ll be video! That is just so awesome!!

Giggle Pixies last blog post..Yes, This Means YOU!

10. HoosierGirl said:

on February 15, 2009 at 5:16 PM

So that is what is meant by “Party like a rockstar!”! I am so glad your son got to have so much fun!!!!

Cool!

J.

HoosierGirls last blog post..Happy Valentine’s Day AND Happy Birthday Aaron!

on February 15, 2009 at 5:37 PM

GigglePixie-I can’t imagine how excited I would be if I saw a video of that!! It would be so cool!!! \m/

on February 15, 2009 at 5:38 PM

HoosierGirl-He sure did party like a rockstar. I wish I had seen it! \m/

13. HoosierGirl said:

on February 15, 2009 at 8:47 PM

I’m sure a picture or something will turn up!

J.(*)

HoosierGirls last blog post..Happy Valentine’s Day AND Happy Birthday Aaron!

14. fantastagirl said:

on February 15, 2009 at 10:10 PM

That is sooo awesome!

15. Larissa said:

on February 20, 2009 at 4:58 PM

That’s AWESOME. Somehow I have a feeling that something similar to this may be happening to my own little man… but I mean LITTLE!! He just turned 3 in November, and so far, we have taken him to see Metallica, Iron Maiden, and Nugent. Yes – he went to his first concert at 18 months old, and parades around the house daily singing songs by Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, Metallica, Shinedown, Disturbed… and on and on until even *I* have been shaken by the “monster” that MetalliDad & I have created.

Larissas last blog post..I Have Found the Secret…

on February 20, 2009 at 5:17 PM

Larissa-I don’t know if it’s worse to know what is happening at the shows or whether it’s worse to be there and see what he’s doing!! I have the little ones running around here singing in German to Rammstein and also to Godsmack and Disturbed!!