Sunday September 27th 2009, 7:43 PM
Filed under: birthday,celebration,Friends,happy,laughs,love

Charisma

Charisma: refers to a trait found in persons whose personalities are characterized by a personal charm and magnetism (attractiveness), along with innate and powerfully sophisticated abilities of interpersonal communication and persuasion

Some people have very little. They are the ones who may blend into the background. They may be the most boring people you have ever met, the ones who rarely get the jokes, rarely have anything to add to a conversation.

Then there are people who just ooze charisma. They are the ones who walk into a room and the energy instantly changes. They are often called “the life of the party”. They are the guest speakers who begin speaking about any subject and have you hanging on their every word. You just feel compelled to look at them or listen to them.

I have such a friend.

My friend D is the type of person who is labeled “loud”, or “boisterous”.  When she enters a room, everyone knows it. She greets everyone as if they are a long lost friend. When she laughs at a joke, you know that she is enjoying it. She does everything with an obvious gusto for life.

We went out to celebrate D’s birthday on Saturday night. Skittles, her sister and I arrived at the bar first. There was a band and more than just a  few people already there. But it still wasn’t  ‘happening’.  And then, D arrived with her entourage of sister, niece and a couple of friends. As soon as she got there, the atmosphere changed. Suddenly we were all drinking, and laughing until cheeks hurt.

Into the bar, came a little girl celebrating her 21st birthday. She loudly announced this to the bar because she had obviously been celebrating before getting there. Before five minutes had passed, she was dancing with D and sharing laughs with us having been drawn into our group by D’s magnetism.

There were a few tables of men who watched our group as woman danced with woman, grinding and laughing and hugging. They watched as if waiting for us to spontaneously begin making out with each other. The little girl wasn’t the only one drawn into our group. Oh no! There was the guy who looked like Maurice Gibb who tried (badly) to sing ‘Stayin’ Alive’. There was ‘girl’s boyfriend who was getting annoyed with ‘girl’s antics. There was a group of men who were friends with Skittles. They too were drawn by D.  They danced and did shots and hugged her as if they had always known her.

And all throughout the night, as people passed our group, she was the center of attention. Every person felt compelled to talk to her, shimmy with her, smile and hug her.

What is it that makes one person more charismatic than another?  Why can’t it be bottled up and sold? The maker of such an elixir would be rich beyond imagination, I’m sure.

Do you have a friend like this?  If you do, then you are blessed. If not, find one. He or she will be the one in the center of the room dancing as if no one was looking.

~~~Happy Birthday, D. I love you and I’m glad to have you in my life.

1. DutchBitch said:

on September 28, 2009 at 5:47 AM

Awww she sounds like a great person and a great friend (but then I am sure you are to her as well!)

on September 28, 2009 at 8:10 AM

You’ve got charisma, too, you know. :)
    Happy Birthday, D!

3. Robin said:

on September 28, 2009 at 9:51 AM

Oh yes, I have friends like that. I will never be like that, I’m way too shy.

on September 28, 2009 at 10:07 AM

DutchBitch-Somehow these words don’t even convey her personality! :)

on September 28, 2009 at 10:08 AM

SybilLaw-Thank you, babe! You too!! :d

on September 28, 2009 at 10:09 AM

Robin-Not everyone can be the sun. People like us are the stars that twinkle with its light. :*

7. fantastagirl said:

on September 30, 2009 at 9:40 PM

Happy Birthday to your friend – hope she has a great year!

8. ~ Stacy ~ said:

on October 1, 2009 at 8:10 AM

Yup. I have a friend like that. Anytime I go out with her, I leave my cash at home because guy after guy after guy will buy us drinks. It never fails. She’s just so damn friendly and outgoing, people are drawn to her, same as your friend “D”. …Happy (belated) Birthday to her, btw.

on October 1, 2009 at 2:01 PM

Fantastagirl-I’ll pass on the wishes! :)

on October 1, 2009 at 2:02 PM

Stacy-Yes! Exactly like that! I didn’t spend a dime!! :d

11. BlondeBlogger said:

on October 3, 2009 at 12:35 AM

I bet you attract more attention than you realize. Sybil’s right…you have plenty of charisma!

on October 3, 2009 at 11:58 AM

BlondeBlogger-Aww…thank you!! Right back atcha, girl!! :*

13. "D" said:

on October 4, 2009 at 3:27 PM

:d/ The energy that one person receives from being around the love of family and friends helps to stimulate that so-called “CHARISMA.” I am blessed with such LOVE and the treasures are always meant to be shared!! You are indeed a treasure in my life and I am honored to be called “your friend!!”

on October 4, 2009 at 4:11 PM

“D”-Your energy should be bottled!! :D