Tuesday December 15th 2009, 9:38 PM
Filed under: birthday,celebration,desire,happy,kids

Will He Shoot His Eye Out?

Thanksgiving night, Son1 showed up with his girls. We had a nice visit and we chatted of this and that. And then he said it….

“My birthday is coming up”

As if I could forget! I have so many occasions in December that it is imperative to write them down. In order, it is my mom’s birthday, my parents’ anniversary, my nephew’s birthday, my son, my late father-in-law,my brother, the holidays and then Son2. In between each, I have to cram in shopping for gifts, cards and Christmas gifts. It is quite a whirlwind. But for some reason, this year he thought he would remind me….because yanno, I’m getting up in years…..(I almost slapped him for that!)

On random days he would stop in after work and say hello. He always made sure to do the countdown….3 weeks…17 days…12 days…1 week… Like a child he was so excited about this birthday. One day, we were chatting on the phone and I asked him why he was so excited about this birthday.

“I’m gonna be 29. After that, I’ll be a real grownup. This is like…the last year that I can…..maybe….”

Maybe what? Spill kiddo!!

And much like Ralphie had asked for “an Official Red Ryder Carbine-Action Two-Hundred-Shot Range Model Air Rifle”, he asked for “Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2”, a video game for an xBox.

call_of_duty__modern_warfare_2_by_sicrage

And as a true mom, I said “Oh honey, that is so violent. And besides, aren’t you a little old for games like that?” He looked crestfallen.

As the days went by, he managed to work that video game into conversations. He even showed me the sale ads and left them on the dining room table.  Finally, on Friday night, he called to say that Shenanigans had bought him an xBox.

“Mom, it would be great if  ‘someone’ got  ” Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2″ so that I could play it. Hint, hint.”

“Do you know how much that is??  I can’t afford that! It’s almost Christmas! How ’bout I just make you a cake? You know that we usually wait to give you a gift.”

“Mom! I never ask for anything!! Can you tell me if you’re going to get it for me? I’m almost ready to go buy it for myself.”

” Well, babe, I guess you’ll just have to wait until Tuesday to find out…”

“MOM!!!  My birthday is MONDAY!!!!”

“I know. I was just fuckin witcha.”

And I made him wait……All through the weekend….all day Monday…..And finally…

I gave it to him. I can’t remember the last time I saw him look that happy about a gift. I was happy about spending a small fortune on a video game.

And I’m glad that he can’t “shoot his eye out.”

My “baby” is going to be 30….next year…..  :((

1. Mik said:

on December 15, 2009 at 11:38 PM

I played that at son-in-laws on his PS3 on a huge screen, pretty awesome.

One some of our babies is 30 also.

2. Marcia said:

on December 16, 2009 at 8:22 AM

Aww, you’re a good mommy!!

on December 16, 2009 at 9:00 AM

Mik-But, really!! You and I are far too young and pretty to have kids that old!!!

on December 16, 2009 at 9:01 AM

Marcia-I try….you have no idea how hard I try….!

5. Miss Zilch said:

on December 16, 2009 at 9:02 AM

:d Over 30 here and play WoW, mirrors edge and any other game I can find. Love the shoot ’em zombie ones. I am hoping for Left 4 Dead 2 for xmas along with a Digital SLR. Although I think I am getting a lump of coal.:-ss

on December 16, 2009 at 9:49 AM

MissZilch-Oh,I have friends older than I am that are hooked on those games! Son1 is just too much fun to mess with!! I like teasing him. :) So…you’re a naughty girl?…..

on December 16, 2009 at 9:49 AM

You do know they never grow out of that, don’t you? My husband has been hinting for a Kindle for weeks now.

on December 16, 2009 at 9:49 AM

Which means next year he’ll need Call of Duty 3. Really, who came up with this idea that violent video games are only for children?

on December 16, 2009 at 11:57 AM

Finn-I’m starting to notice that there’s an awful lot of things that men never grow out of….except their underwear…!!

on December 16, 2009 at 11:58 AM

Grant-There’s a CALL OF DUTY 3?? well, next year he can ask his Grandmother for that!!

11. Robin said:

on December 16, 2009 at 12:35 PM

The big month in my house is February. It’s FIL’s bday, valentinesday/anniversary, my bday/stepdaughter’s bday. But at least we get that all over with for the year, however I haven’t had a real bday in a very long time.

on December 16, 2009 at 2:58 PM

Fucking with our kids is the best part of being a parent! Well, I mean, for holdays and birthdays, anyway.
    Happy birthday to your baby!

on December 16, 2009 at 6:30 PM

Robin-No birthdays? Aww…so how old aren’t you?

on December 16, 2009 at 6:31 PM

SybilLaw-I love when they just set themselves up for it!

15. Miss Zilch said:

on December 17, 2009 at 7:32 AM

always a naughty girl but the boyfriend still hasn’t gotten me a gift and keeps asking me what I want so that means he hasn’t a clue what to get me.

on December 17, 2009 at 9:35 AM

MissZilch-UGH! Don’t you hate that? It’s like.”Don’t you know me?” I can think of lots of things that I’d like or that I need, but Hubs would like to avoid electronics….music stores….video stores….women’s departments….@-) I don’t drive so he HAS to leave the auto parts store! :))

17. Miss Zilch said:

on December 18, 2009 at 4:05 AM

hahahaha! I get so mad when he asks me silly things like “what soda do you want?” Hello? The same one I ALWAYS get.

I got him the gift to end all gifts. He is going to be so surprised. I can’t wait. After he opens it I can almost bet he will get me the DSLR I want. lol