Monday February 15th 2010, 10:48 AM
Filed under: birthday,celebration,Friends,happy,love

Twins, Cake and A Sleepover

This weekend I was lucky enough to spend Saturday night in the company of friends. This alone is very cool in my book, but even better was the fact that “Skittles” was with us.

Skittles and I share a birthday.

twin

When we learned this, we were two high school sophomores getting ready to turn sixteen. We were giggly girls who thought it was hysterical to proclaim ourselves as ‘twins’. We are still young girls at heart and we still refer to each other as “Twin”. This is one thing that makes  celebrating with common friends easier? Harder? I don’t know. On the one hand it involves double cards, gifts, and perhaps phone calls. On the other hand, it involves only one party, one cake, one night to go out and perhaps spend money on drinks.

We got together on Saturday with Dawn and two other friends that I have known ‘forever’.  Our friend Diane drove and drove, and got lost, but never gave up until she got there–two hours late!!  The hostess was Donna.  She and I have a looong history. We walked to kindergarten together, played ‘school’  in her garage, had sleep overs, and raided her sister’s makeup. I remember the sound of her mother’s voice (even after all these years!) and I remember the grief I felt when her father died.  So many of these things came to mind when she suggested a ‘sleepover’.

We gathered in Donna’s basement and began our silliness. Drinks were mixed and poured. High calorie snacks were put out and the Wii came on. As soon as we were all together the laughter started and for the next six hours or so, they never stopped. Yearbooks were brought out to jog our memories. The crazy stories and rumors were shared and argued over. The jello shots (which were provided in needle syringes-thanks Nurse Dawn!)  were sucked down.

Eventually all things must come to an end. The others needed to get home to their children, pets, and family obligations. Donna and I (and her daughter, Miss Cutie Pie) settled in for the night.

As my eyes closed, I replayed the nights events and smiled in the dark. I could hear Cutie Pie begin to breathe evenly as she finally slept. And I was filled with joy. I was lying next to one of my oldest friends in the entire world. I was so incredibly happy to have her back in my life.

Forty-seven was a pretty good year for me. I hope forty-eight will be equally good- if not better!!!

1. Skittles said:

on February 15, 2010 at 12:11 PM

Twin!
    I love this …..so sweet! I think it’s so great that we reconnected after all these years! What great times we have had this year! What a great birthday! We sure can laugh!
    Love ya birthday buddy! My Twin!
    Skittles!

on February 15, 2010 at 12:24 PM

Skittles- Laughter is good. I think I am tightening up my sides and stomach muscles. However, the ‘laugh lines’ are getting deeper!!!

on February 15, 2010 at 12:36 PM

Sounds like fun! Glad you had a happy birthday.

on February 15, 2010 at 3:05 PM

It sounds incredibly fun! I enjoyed the pictures on FB!!

on February 15, 2010 at 3:22 PM

Finn-It was very cool fun. :)

on February 15, 2010 at 3:23 PM

SybilLaw-I’m glad you enjoyed the pictures. Did you also catch the status updates? OMG!! When I saw them yesterday, I couldn’t believe how many I did!!! That is called “Drunk FBing”!! @-)

7. Coal Miner's Granddaughter said:

on February 15, 2010 at 8:21 PM

Wait, when is your birthday?

And?

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, HON! Love you!

on February 15, 2010 at 8:57 PM

CMG-Thank you sweetie! My burp day was Friday. (you were on vacation…and I hope it was a good one!!) :*

9. Robin said:

on February 16, 2010 at 10:31 AM

Happy birthday!!!:d/

10. DutchBitch said:

on February 17, 2010 at 9:31 AM

Sounds AND looks like you had a guh-reat time! Good for you! SMOOCHHHHH

on February 17, 2010 at 10:27 AM

Robin-Thank you honey! :)

on February 17, 2010 at 10:28 AM

DutchBitch-It was so much fun. And it is rejuvenating when I come home all laughed out and full of the ‘grrl love’. :)