Wednesday February 24th 2010, 11:12 AM
Filed under: desire,Friends,happy,Hilly,questions

Peace and Happiness

Peace – that was the other name for home.  ~Kathleen Norris

My friend Hilly has returned to California after trying to live in Florida. It seems that Florida is just not where her heart is happiest. Yes, she has her very best friends there and she is definitely surrounded by unconditional love, and yet….something was missing. And so, she went back to California, a place that gives her both happiness and peace.

I have read the posts that she had written about her inner struggles with this choice. I have read what her friends think about this subject and it has led me to wonder…..Where is your heart happy?

I know that we are all going to say, “I am happy with my family/pets/children”  But on that spiritual level, what gives you peace?

My soul, for some reason is unbelievably peaceful in the historic district of Philadelphia. I don’t why this is. I can stroll the streets, visit museums, see the birthplace of America and I am perfectly content.I feel an unexplainable connection. I don’t need anyone to be with me when I am there. I just….am.

I am also very happy to be on a beach. All the troubles that I may feel, all the worries that may be in my head, are washed away – even for a moment or two – by the constant ebb and flow of the tide. My mind can go absolutely blank as I drink in the vastness of the ocean. On a cold winter’s day, I can feel the wind whip a frigid mist that will spray me. On a hot summer’s day, I feel the sun shine on me. And both times, I will be happy and at peace with the world.

Where is your home?

The light is what guides you home, the warmth is what keeps you there.  ~Ellie Rodriguez

on February 24, 2010 at 12:13 PM

東京 – land of bunny.

on February 24, 2010 at 12:27 PM

Grant-Something tells me that when I go there, I will feel at home there. I love the pictures that I see there and read the stories of their history and culture and yeah, I like it…..that and the bunnies!!

on February 24, 2010 at 12:49 PM

By the beach. I love Cape Cod, but honestly, any east coast beach region makes me happy. It’s always been that way. I miss the hell out of Boston, too.

on February 24, 2010 at 1:22 PM

Cities, particularly New York and Boston. I always feel more alive, more ME there.

5. Robin said:

on February 24, 2010 at 1:52 PM

I am truly at peace with my camera.

on February 24, 2010 at 2:33 PM

SybilLaw-So many people love the ocean and the beaches. I can’t imagine being from the middle states and never seeing a beach. Can you imagine? @-)

on February 24, 2010 at 2:35 PM

Finn-I love the energy of the cities. If I hadn’t gotten married, I would imagine that I would have found a bustling city to live in.

on February 24, 2010 at 2:36 PM

Robin-But is there a place that makes you peaceful without a camera in your hands? That is what I am asking.

9. teri said:

on February 24, 2010 at 7:55 PM

I’m the same way, I feel peace living in this area. I have lived in one or two other places but this area, especially Collingswood, gives me complete peace. Sometimes it’s the area where you live and not the people that make you happy.

10. teri said:

on February 24, 2010 at 7:56 PM

oh yeah, Cape May makes me feel this way as well. Don’t know why but I felt an immediate connection the first time I visited.

11. Fantastagirl said:

on February 24, 2010 at 9:41 PM

My heart is happy near water, just sitting on the shore, or on the dock… peaceful, calm, the of the waves breaking on shore. I just need to find that place, and get there soon!

on February 24, 2010 at 10:19 PM

teri-That was EXACTLY the question I was asking-place rather than people.I find it really cool that you live in the place that makes you happiest. I’ve never been to Cape May….maybe this summer I’ll check it out.

on February 24, 2010 at 10:21 PM

Fantastagirl-This is about the time of year that I want it most of all. (Seasonal blues? Maybe) Do you fish? My dad is the same way about the shore or a dock…but his involves fishing. :)

14. Fantastagirl said:

on February 24, 2010 at 11:41 PM

Fish? Not so much. but I’ll hang out on the dock and help my kids fish – they love it!

15. Marcia said:

on February 25, 2010 at 8:58 AM

The mountains of Colorado is where I find my peace. I couldn’t wait to grow up and leave my tiny little home town, but after wandering several states for several years I realised this is the only place I can truly breathe. There’s no place like home.

on February 25, 2010 at 10:17 AM

Fantastagirl-Make sure you teach them to clean and cook ’em! Then maybe they’ll make you dinner!! :D

on February 25, 2010 at 10:19 AM

Marcia-The mountains are very special to me for many other reasons, particularly the Sangre de Cristo mountains in New Mexico. The west has some breathtaking places that have a special calm all their own.

18. Dawn said:

on March 7, 2010 at 7:22 PM

As you know, I found my piece of HEAVEN almost 3 1/2 years ago – up here near everything yet away from everything and I love sharing it!!!

on March 7, 2010 at 7:57 PM

Dawn-You truly have a piece of heaven. Drinking coffee while watching the mist dissolve over your mountains was one helluva way to wake up!!