Friday May 07th 2010, 11:27 PM
Filed under: assholes,birthday,family,holiday,Hubs,other shit

No Answer

The phone was ringing but I didn’t answer it.  The caller ID said it was “Sis”.  Why didn’t I answer it?  Because tomorrow is my Dad’s birthday. She will tell me that I have to be there. I hate being told that I have to do anything.  Not only that but she will also tell me what I have to bring.  I haven’t been food shopping for my own family in two weeks.  I really don’t want to go into a store just to get stuff for a salad.

Will I miss Dad’s birthday?  Not really.  I’ll call him in the morning and I will say “Happy Birthday”.  I’ll tell him to have a great day and that I’ll see him on Sunday, when I stop by to visit my Mom for Mother’s day.  He’ll be cool with that.  He understands.

What I won’t miss is the gathering with the family.

I won’t have to listen to my brothers busting on my sister. You see,  she really has no sense of humor and takes things way too seriously. They will tease her and move onto other subjects, but she will brood and drink and think of all the things she should have said and drink some more and then start whining to her daughter who will whine to my mom who will bitch at my brothers.

I won’t have to watch my husband sit in a corner waiting for the opportunity to leave.  He doesn’t watch sports….any sports. My dad and brothers will flick between games or else they will be chased outside by mom where they will sit and talk about sports. And then my brothers will start asking me “What’s his problem?”

I won’t miss my mom asking why I never told her this or that, when I actually made it a point to tell her what is happening in my life.

I know, I am lucky to have my parents. I am lucky to have my family.

I simply prefer to be lucky in small doses.

1. Robin said:

on May 8, 2010 at 6:31 AM

My family is the exact same way, so I feel your pain. :)
    .-= Robin´s last blog ..Blip =-.

on May 8, 2010 at 9:10 AM

Robin-I’m sorry for you too. It makes holidays and birthdays less than ‘celebrations’. :(

on May 8, 2010 at 10:51 AM

I’m so sorry that it’s this way for you. I think you’re doing the right thing. Save your sanity. You can love them, but you don’t have like being around them too much.

xo
    .-= Finn´s last blog ..Diptych Eighteen: Glee =-.

4. Karl said:

on May 8, 2010 at 12:31 PM

I get it. My family is dysfunctional to the nth, it seems. I’ll be calling my stepmom for Mother’s Day tomorrow, of course. But visiting is another matter altogether.
    .-= Karl´s last blog ..#1 on My List: Make a List =-.

5. teri said:

on May 8, 2010 at 6:00 PM

good for you. you are in charge of your actions and if you choose not to deal with all the bullshit, that’s your choice. I’m always surprised when people just deal with the BS for millions of years and never address the problems. makes me crazy.=d>
    .-= teri´s last blog ..Bad body image =-.

on May 8, 2010 at 6:02 PM

Finn-Oh I sure do love them all like crazy. They are like popcorn, beets, french fries and ice cream…..Freaking awesome separately, but not so much mixed together.

on May 8, 2010 at 6:04 PM

Karl-It wasn’t until I became a blogger that I realized what “dysfunctional” was and that we were exactly that. Kiss your mom and may your call to Stepmom be short and anxiety free.

on May 8, 2010 at 6:06 PM

teri-My stress levels have been getting higher and higher as the weekend got closer. “What excuse will I use?” Mom NEEDS an excuse. Dad sees through them and is still okay with it. He knows why I’m like this. Thank God! As soon as I called him, it was like a weight was lifted.

9. Fantastagirl said:

on May 8, 2010 at 7:39 PM

I swear we have the same family. Tomorrow Mr Incredible will have to “work” and I’ll go north a few hours to see my mom at my Dad’s sister’s house. I will see my Grandma as well. I may or may not travel another 45 minutes to see my other Grandma, who I am avoiding…for reasons that my dad actually understands.

Mr Incredible can’t stand my family. He’d rather have his eyes scratched out with a rusty nail then spend time with them. This way – I see my parents, and only have to spend 4 hrs of the day on the road. (Yes, I am a horrible daughter)….and no, my mom does not understand. and in some odd sense of reasoning, I will continue to spend the rest of my life trying to keep Mr. Incredible happy, and my parents happy, and I just end up miserable.
    .-= Fantastagirl´s last blog ..Its big =-.

on May 8, 2010 at 8:15 PM

Fantastagirl-Holy crap! We are the same!! Hubs is the same as your Mister. Your family may be hours away, but mom is only 20 minutes away. Mom and I, are like opposing magnets. The time we share together is incredible in all good ways, but for longer than an hour or so? Not so much. Mom never makes an effort to understand or reach out. Thank God that Dad knows me so well.It has gotten worse since Hubs lost his parents. Now I can’t even tell if it is depression in missing them or jealousy that I have mine or maybe neither of the two. I never know.

Good luck on your travels, enjoy your visits and Happy Mother’s Day!

on May 8, 2010 at 9:30 PM

Ooooh, yes – I get it!!

on May 9, 2010 at 10:22 AM

SybilLaw-There are farrr too many dysfunctional kids out there that understand this post. :( I hope your Mother’s day is a good one!

13. Poppy said:

on May 10, 2010 at 10:58 AM

Your choices here are inspirational.
    .-= Poppy´s last blog ..Hi, I’m Poppy. I’m the owner and curator. =-.

on May 10, 2010 at 12:02 PM

Poppy-Apparently they were the best choices. Today’s post tells you that we had an AWESOME time with mom and dad….just the four of us. :D