Tuesday May 18th 2010, 9:27 PM
Filed under: Friends,happy,kids,miscellaneous,music

Dance, Dance #1

Sybil Law asked me about a recollection of one of my first dances. I was pummelled by more than one, and each was significant in some way or another. I have decided that she is going to get a ‘two-fer’  as a belated birthday gift.

Dances for me, began in the 8th grade. The first was actually a high school dance. A couple of my friends and I managed to get permission to go to the high school mixer at the boy’s high school.  I remember wearing a rust colored corduroy skirt with a matching  jacket.  I had bought a pair of platform shoes and this was my first chance to wear them.

Oh the awkwardness! I was tall, thin and had big boobs. The fact that I was so thin, made the boobs seem that much bigger. I was tall and then I added another four inches with the shoes.  My group of friends and I were in our spot and we occasionally danced. We felt out of our element. I remember how jealous I felt when Gigi was the first asked to dance by one of the boys. I honestly don’t remember anything else that I can put into words. It is a jumble of sensations…..the smell of a high school cafeteria, where we managed to sneak a smoke….the chill of the fall air…. trying not to sweat while I slow danced….and of course the last dance of the night to “Knights in White Satin”

The last of the 8th grade year was our graduation dance. Some girls were coupled up with some boys, but most of us were nervously anticipating our first contacts. There are only two things that I can think of. The first is that I really wasn’t looking forward to going.  I cannot remember what happened that had made me not want to go, but my mother would not let me miss what was supposed to be a milestone.  The other thing that I remembered was that one of my classmates, Bill, was wheeled into the dance. I say wheeled, because Bill had crashed his bike three weeks before and he was in a body cast. I remember the cheers that went up as he came in. Most of us had not seen him since the accident.

I can remember dancing with Gary, watching Kathy dance with Bill B, and I remember walking home with a gaggle of girls in the dark. So much for a ‘milestone’…..seriously, that is it.

What you must remember is that this was 1976. My memory isn’t what it used to be.

No age comments……..

1. Tragic said:

on May 19, 2010 at 2:18 AM

This song, I cannot hear it now without seeing scenes of terror and blood splattered slaughter. Did you see Halloween 2 (Rob Zombie’s H2) this song was in half a dozen horrific scenes in some way, on TV, in nightmares, just freakin’ everywhere..

on May 19, 2010 at 9:04 AM

Love that song… *sigh*

I don’t remember having any dances in middle school. I’m pretty sure we did, I just don’t remember them.
    .-= Finn´s last blog ..Diptych Twenty: Familiar =-.

on May 19, 2010 at 9:49 AM

Aww, those are great memories!!
    I was kinda hoping for some major dress catastrophe or something. Haha!!
    :D
    .-= Sybil Law´s last blog ..Quickie =-.

on May 19, 2010 at 9:57 AM

You were tall, thin, and had big breasts? No wonder you felt awkward. Guys hate those things. So un-bunny.

I was never into dance except for the mosh pits. For some reason, those aren’t great places to pick up chicks.
    .-= Grant´s last blog ..More medical fun =-.

on May 19, 2010 at 11:16 AM

Jean-I have yet to see either Halloween! HOW DID I MISS THESE??? I will be checking them out today!

on May 19, 2010 at 11:17 AM

Finn-It was so long ago…..*sigh* If I knew then what I know now? I’d ask that hefty guy to dance. He grew up to be handsome AND rich….!!

on May 19, 2010 at 11:18 AM

Sybil- I’ll have to send you a message. The picture is on FB!

on May 19, 2010 at 11:19 AM

Grant-I was taller than the guys and they were intimidated by the boobage. I would have found you in a mosh pit for sure!