Friday July 09th 2010, 9:26 AM
Filed under: business,Hubs,owies,weather

Never Fear…

During the preparations for Christmas, Hubs injured himself.

He is one of those manly men who doesn’t want me to help him carry the Christmas tree from the car to the house.  He carried bags of gifts into the house as well as all the groceries that were needed for the Christmas Eve party. He managed to feel a tweak in his groinal area, but never fear. He’ll go to the doctor “after the holidays-when he can afford to take time off”

And so he did. The doctor’s preliminary diagnosis was hernia, and Hubs should go see a surgeon and get that taken care of.  Never fear. He’ll get it taken care of  “after a few of these jobs-when he can afford to take time off”

Before he could do that, the snows began to blanket the Northeast. Week after week it snowed and each time Hubs went outside to shovel the walk, the steps, the driveway. I followed behind him like some kind of yapping Chihuahua…”Stop! Take a rest! Let Son2 do this! Pay the kid next door!  You’re gonna hurt yourself!  You’re not young anymore!”  But, no. “People need generators. I need to take this work while we have it. Soon I’ll take time off”

No, he did not hurt himself further.  He didn’t hurt his back or his hernia.  He worked at the jobs and made people happy. And between the two of us, since the pain wasn’t there, we pushed it out of our minds.

Then came the graduation party.

He removed bushes and put in a garden. He carried folding tables and chairs. He put in a table leaf and got ice for the coolers.  I was the chihuahua once more. “Please let someone help you!”  “It’s easier to do it myself.  Never fear, I’m fine.”

And then, shortly into the party, he did it. He came to  me and said, “I need to take something and lay down. I won’t be able to stand much longer.”  And then, the hosting duties fell on my shoulders.  He spent the next couple of days lying around. We made a doctor’s appointment and I was satisfied…for a bit.

Then there were horrible storms in our area and suddenly people want generators.  (Generator installation is BIG money and will go a long way to holding us over those times when there is no work and the college tuition payments come due)  He still managed to take it easy and did alot of supervising. But there are still some things that cannot be left to my nephew alone. And so, he carefully did his job.

When he finally saw the doctor, we were surprised at his comments. It doesn’t look like a hernia at all.  It looks as if the muscle is detaching from the bone. This is soooo not good.  Yesterday Hubs got a CAT scan which made him horribly ill.  And now we are awaiting the results.

Would it have made any difference if he had gone sooner? I don’t know. If it were hernia and it had gotten worse, I could say “I told you so”  but now….I just get to worry. I don’t know  of anyone who had this type of injury.  I don’t know how it is treated or how long recovery will be. I want him to get this taken care of right away, but if he does, he won’t be able to help Babygirl and I get ready for her to move into the dorms. I don’t like the not knowing. Looking things up online can be so confusing or misleading. The doctors are fond of saying “X number of weeks or rehab”  I prefer hearing someone who has been through it that says, “The doctor will say 8 weeks but it’s really more like 6” Somehow, while it is still vague, it is more reassuring.

Never fear, whatever it is, I’ll let you know…..

1. Shelli said:

on July 9, 2010 at 9:46 AM

OMG! That doesn’t sound good. Muscle detaching from which bone? I think that the more he injures it, the longer his recovery might be. Try using that as an argument. ;)
    Shelli´s last blog post ..Happy Birthday- Baby-

on July 9, 2010 at 9:47 AM

This is a new one on me… I hope everything goes smoothly and he heals quickly. I’ll send good karma your way. xo
    Finn´s last blog post ..In Silence

3. bubblewench said:

on July 9, 2010 at 10:02 AM

Holy shit! I hope it all goes ok!
    bubblewench´s last blog post ..LAST POST HERE – Moved

on July 9, 2010 at 10:20 AM

Shelli-I don’t know and since I wasn’t allowed into the room while he was examined, I don’t know the official name. Apparently athletes get it. (He remembered that but not the name) UGH!!

on July 9, 2010 at 10:20 AM

Finn-Thanks, babe, I need all the good karma I can get!!

on July 9, 2010 at 10:22 AM

Bubblewench-Thanks, girl. Thank God it doesn’t affect sex! ;)) Maybe if I hold out on him…(Because I wouldn’t want it to interfere…..!!)

on July 9, 2010 at 10:46 AM

OW OW OW!!!
    It sounds super painful!!
    Hope he gets whatever he needs and starts mending.
    Damn, that makes my groin hurt just thinking about it.
    Sybil Law´s last blog post ..Nutty

on July 9, 2010 at 2:39 PM

It’s your womanly prerogative to say “I told you so”, so don’t go letting the possibility that he did no wrong get in the way. Although since the first doctor did misdiagnose and recommend surgery, maybe you should nag him into seeing a Voodou priest instead.
    Grant´s last blog post ..Edumacation

on July 9, 2010 at 3:54 PM

SybilLaw-I hope it is something that can be handled by rehab and exercise. From what I’ve read, in extreme cases it takes surgery and possibly staples to reattach. I hope it’s not extreme!! @-)

on July 9, 2010 at 3:55 PM

Grant-I’d be inclined to take your advice about the Voodou priest, but I’m not sure our insurance would cover that. And you know what a bitch those hospital bills can be!

11. Kim said:

on July 9, 2010 at 10:00 PM

Hope everything will work out ! I din’t know voodoo but i can call some of my old buddies back in Louisiana that might ! ; )

on July 10, 2010 at 7:20 PM

Kim-I’d settle for a gris-gris. :)