Tuesday August 10th 2010, 9:25 AM
Filed under: business,desire,family,Friends,Grief,lessons,love

Bad Is Not So Bad

My son went away for the weekend and turned off the air conditioner in his room. It is a small room and his queen size bed sits below the window. Well, while the AC was off this weekend, it leaked…into his room. Not only did water run down the wall wetting  the carpet, but it soaked a quarter of the mattress through to part of the box spring. Now what? Is there any way to dry it out? Do we write it off and try to come up with the money for a new bed? It’s the last thing we can afford right now. I felt so bad for Son2. He had worked all day in the heat, humidity and sun. He had come home long enough to shower, throw food into his face and run to his second job, where Monday is one of the busiest nights of the week. All he wanted to do was crash into his bed. Instead, at one in the morning, I was helping him soak up some of the water and later crying about his shitty luck.

My daughter wants to go to Colorado with her Man and his family in January. They enjoy snowboarding and that is exactly what they will be doing. His parents will be paying for everything but the air fare. When you look at the price of tickets to lots of places, or even the cost of a ski pass to our local Pocono Mountain resorts, the air fare will be  cheaper. We can’t really afford that either.  I added tears for her to the tears for my son.

I looked into the mirror this weekend and saw my hair. I stop dying my hair every summer because of vacations. If I dye it, the dye fades quickly in the sun or washes out in the chlorine of the pools. It also gives my crappy hair a break from the chemicals. This year, the white hair is more prominent than usual. Hubs likes it. Now I face the prospect of letting the gray grow in. I am cutting back on things and hair dye is not a ‘necessary’ expense. I feel old when I look at myself. Hubs thinks it’s pretty. Oh the indecision….

Our business is slow. But at least we have something. Babygirl may be headed to college, but she can get a job to help out with school expenses or to get herself a plane ticket. She has earned the money to buy her own back-to-school clothes and many of her supplies. Son2 has plenty of his own expenses, and that is the reason for two jobs. But at least he has money to go to the Union soccer games once, sometimes twice, a week (we paid for half of his season tickets for last Christmas-when we had a streak of good income) He can buy a new bed for himself, if he has to. Dying my hair?  Well, shit. I won’t be the end of the world if I look my age. Yanno?

My friend’s husband is losing his job-along with 700 other families- when their plant closes.

My friend has little kids, kids who can’t get jobs to help pay for their school supplies. Her kids are too young to fully understand the way their parents will have to cut corners. Her husband will be dealing with the stress and depression that comes with looking for a job and providing for his family. She will deal with standing by her man, saving every penny she can and the heartbreaking task of telling her children “no” far too often than “yes”

I feel so guilty moaning about a plane ticket, a bed, and worst of all HAIR DYE!  These things pale in the face of the troubles in front of others.

I light a candle and pray everyday for my friends. I pray for our own financial stability and health. I pray that some of you get back good test results. I hope that you don’t lose your insurance, your car, your home. I pray that you get that job you interviewed for. I pray that this love is the one that lasts.

And I’ve added another friend to my litany of prayers. My dear friend, I hope that something good comes your way soon.

on August 10, 2010 at 10:05 AM

I just bought a shiny new car, HA HA HA HA HA.

A friend’s father had a stroke when she was young which permanently kicked them out of their tax bracket. Her parents briefly remained friends with the people they knew, but the difference in perspectives brought that to an end. Their old friends bemoaned things like having to put down their favorite race horse or having the engine on the yacht overhauled as if a family member had died. They also told the mother that she was young enough to remarry, not understanding that she stuck with her husband because she loved him as more than a meal ticket. So, I recommend you happy yourself up by teasing those less fortunate than you. Allow me to demonstrate:

I just bought a shiny new car, HA HA HA HA HA.
    Grant´s last blog post ..Why I am awesomer than you

2. Coal Miner's Granddaughter said:

on August 10, 2010 at 10:06 AM

We are lucky that we are still OK, but I wish we had more to help others. In the end, I know we’ll all make it through. I have faith.
    Coal Miner’s Granddaughter´s last blog post ..HeatHer 10- Days 2 and 3

on August 10, 2010 at 10:07 AM

Also, I think mattresses can recover from being wet if you just let them air dry in the sunshine.
    Grant´s last blog post ..Why I am awesomer than you

on August 10, 2010 at 10:17 AM

I’m with CMG. We’re a bit tight right now, but we will get past it quickly. I always wish I had more to help others. All I have is my prayers and good wishes.

Perspective is a good thing; it saves us from wallowing too long.

Things will change. They always do.
    Finn´s last blog post ..On Another Year

on August 10, 2010 at 10:19 AM

CMG-YES! I wish I had enough to share with others. That is what came to mind with the dye. It’s only $7 but I could use it for something else. And then I think of the “have nots” and think “that could be a meal for them.” It makes me shut my piehole. :(

on August 10, 2010 at 10:20 AM

Grant-You are evil. :)) We are already in danger of being the most ‘ghetto’ in the neighborhood. I can just imagine what the neighbors would think if I stuck a giant mattress on the front lawn!!

on August 10, 2010 at 10:22 AM

Finn-I have LOTS of prayers and good wishes to spread around.

on August 10, 2010 at 10:54 AM

But those prayers and good wishes are priceless, and always welcome.
    I’ll say them for you, too.
    (And the gray probably does look good!)
    Sybil Law´s last blog post ..Who- me

on August 10, 2010 at 12:04 PM

SybilLaw-I should take some pictures and ask y’all. LOL (Thanks for your prayers, sweetie. Yes, always welcome. :) )

10. Janelle said:

on August 10, 2010 at 11:30 PM

Oh, fucker (and I say that will all the love I have!) You made me cry! Like big fat tears. I am pretty sure that I am in love with you now. This means that you will probably be stalked, LOL :)

Thank you, Friend! If more people were like you, this world would be much better.
    Janelle´s last blog post ..Things I Want To Talk About and the Things I AM Talking About…

on August 11, 2010 at 9:16 AM

Janelle- I made you cry? Oh Noes!! (kiss kiss!! :* )

12. Shelli said:

on August 12, 2010 at 11:07 AM

Thank you. :)
    Shelli´s last blog post ..I Feel Good

on August 12, 2010 at 12:19 PM

Shelli- Kisses, kisses, and prayers. :)