Wednesday August 11th 2010, 9:53 PM
Filed under: Anger,ineptitude,lessons,other shit

Lemon

There is an Atlantic Book Outlet on the Boardwalk that we visit every summer. Now when we leave home, I tend to bring a paperback, you know, something not too heavy to carry and read on the beach.  I go to the outlet and get the heavier books to read during my winter hibernation.  For me, it’s like a kid going into a toy store. I have to check out a lot of books before I settle on two or three. Last year’s choices were Aimee Liu’s “Flash House” and  Loren D Estleman’s “The Undertaker’s Wife”.  They have been sitting under my coffee table for a year.

Before leaving for the shore last year, I started reading Stephen King’s “Duma Key”. So, when I got home, I put away the new books so that I could finish reading that.  Instead of reading, however,  I got involved in making a needlepoint wedding gift for a friend. This took longer than I had hoped, and before I knew it, Christmas was here.  One of my gifts was “Pride and Prejudice and Zombies” by Jane Austen and Seth Grahame-Smith. Well, I just had to read that one right away!

Other books were started and never finished. This is a new occurrence for me. I never leave a book halfway read. And so, this spring, I began gathering up the books and read them.  (Don’t bother with “The Weekend” by Peter Cameron -or maybe do-it gets great reviews but I felt it was a waste of time) I finally finished “The Lovely Bones” by Alice Sebold. I can’t imagine how I could have put it down to begin with!

At long last, today I was ready to start a new book. I decided on “Flash House”. I actually got excited about it. I poured a cup of coffee and turned off the television. I opened the cover to read the jacket , as is my habit. It serves to whet my appetite. Now. I am ready. I flip through to the first page of the first chapter only to find…

WHAT THE FUCK IS THIS TRICKERY???

Oh, yes. It’s the old bait and switch. Do I still have the receipt?  NO.  Is it worth a two hour drive to get to the store and complain about it?  NO. And besides, it’s over a YEAR ago!.

So now I have this book that isn’t my usual cup of tea. I have to admit that the description sounds intriguing. I plan on reading this one and I hope it isn’t another book that I will read and put aside without finishing it.

I’m all for expanding my horizons and trying new things. Books just never figure into my “new things to try”.  I guess this is one of those lemons life has given me.

Now I gotta make some lemonade…..

1. Coal Miner's Granddaughter said:

on August 11, 2010 at 9:59 PM

This reminds me of my friend Michael when he went to Beijing on business. He bought a few cheap black market videos and when he returned home and put, what he thought, was a popular Disney movie into his DVD player for his kids, he ended up with a Bruce Willis action flick. Yeah.

Glad you’re trying out the book, though!
    Coal Miner’s Granddaughter´s last blog post ..HeatHer 10- Days 2 and 3

on August 11, 2010 at 10:34 PM

CMG-The last time I went outside of my reading ‘box’, I read “MURDER FOR HIRE:The Peruvian Pidgeon” by Dana Fredsti. (It was a gift from Brad.) I wasn’t sure I’d like it at all, but as it turned out, I couldn’t put it down. I hope this one turns out the same!

on August 12, 2010 at 8:39 AM

Hope the lemonade is tasty!
    Finn´s last blog post ..Believe It

on August 12, 2010 at 8:44 AM

The only time I felt ripped off was when a friend recommended the tales of Phineas Poe (I forget the writer). I bought a trilogy, loved the first story, and then it suddenly ended. No resolution – the story just stopped. I started to read the second tale hoping it was continued, but that went in a completely different direction and only made vague mentions of the first tale, and not how it was ever resolved. Basically imagine your favorite book of all time, rip out the last third, then ask yourself – would you still recommend that book to others?
    Grant´s last blog post ..Why I am awesomer than you

on August 12, 2010 at 9:48 AM

Finn-I hope so too. Or maybe I’ll stick with Lemondrops!!

on August 12, 2010 at 9:50 AM

Grant- I HATE THAT SHIT!!! I hate it with books AND movies. I feel like I have been cheated out of that time. Grrr! Authors should be shot for writing books like that and publishers should be hung for not putting it on the cover!!!

on August 12, 2010 at 10:00 AM

Hahahaha
    I hate to laugh, because that is the ultimate suck, but man- that’s funny, too!
    GAH.
    Hope Power Play is decent!!
    Sybil Law´s last blog post ..Quest-ce se

on August 12, 2010 at 10:37 AM

SybilLaw-How DARE you find amusement here! :)) It was so quiet here and I was tres comfortable. Yanno? The timing was perfect to read and this just fucked it all to hell. I couldn’t even pick up another book. I just grabbed the laptop and had to spew!! (Power Play had better be good!!)

9. Shelli said:

on August 12, 2010 at 11:00 AM

It looks like it might turn out to be okay.

Have you read Alice Sebold’s Lucky? It’s the true story of her rape experience and her recovery from it.
    Shelli´s last blog post ..I Feel Good

on August 12, 2010 at 12:22 PM

Shelli-I sure hope so. No, I never read “Lucky”. I only read “The Lovely Bones” because I had seen Babygirl’s copy lying around for a while and then last month my SIL physically put it into my hands.I prefer horror, historical or fantasy. Like I said, I am trying to broaden my horizons, so I’ll probably look it up.

11. marty said:

on August 12, 2010 at 8:48 PM

Kindle? I haven’t bought any of the ereaders yet but that’s the future.

on August 12, 2010 at 8:51 PM

marty-Kindle? Oh no, mister! I am a poor woman, I still use this thing called a library or if what I need isn’t there, I go to a place called Borders. Yeah, it’s an old timer’s thing….

13. delmer said:

on August 13, 2010 at 8:47 AM

I can’t leave books half-read either. Last year I started reading something by “The most dangerous author in America” (or the world or the universe… I don’t recall anything other than he was dangerous and a writer.)

Pretty soon in I figured I might not be the target audience, but I kept going with the thought “well, maybe this short story isn’t terribly funny, but the next one will be.”

I think I chuckled one.
    delmer´s last blog post ..Travel Karma II

on August 13, 2010 at 1:19 PM

delmer-I think this year was the worst. I had four or five sitting around here in various stages of “started”. Thankfully only two felt like a total waste of time.