Thursday September 09th 2010, 8:51 AM
Filed under: Friends,happy,laughs,love

Old Friend/Best Friend

Sunday was one of those lazy days. Hubs and I stayed in bed until nine or so and then moved to the living room. He made some eggs and I made some coffee. The sun was shining and I opened the drapes to let some of it in.

“Wow,” I thought. “It’s too nice to stay in.”  And so I got dressed with the intention of perhaps going for a walk with Bandit. Hubs, however, was still walking around in boxers and a robe. “Maybe you would like to walk with us? We could stop at Dunkin’ Donuts” And so, with the promise of cream-filled baked goods, he started for the bedroom to change.  But something outside caught his eye.

“Who’s that outside?”  I looked to see a man and woman climbing off of a motorcycle. No one I know travels that way and I told Hubs that they couldn’t possibly be coming to our house. “Maybe she got a wedgie and needed to pull over to fix it. Maybe they’re lost. Maybe they are visiting the old lady across the street.”  The possibilities were endless…..

“Nah, Chris. I think they’re coming here.” He quickly made a dash for the bedroom, leaving me to answer the door for these strangers.

But they weren’t strangers! At least one of them wasn’t anyway. It was a woman who had been my best friend in seventh and eighth grade! We hadn’t seen each other since 1982. Since both of her parents had died, I had no way of tracking her down. The last thing that I had heard was that she had married and moved to Delaware.

I ran out the door, and wrapped my arms around her. We laughed. We cried. And we hugged some more. I asked what had brought her to my doorstep. She responded with the old line “I was in the neighborhood.” But I knew that the twinkle in her eye betrayed her lie. She has no family in the area any more and she has lost touch with most of our friends also.

She had made the hour and a half ride just to see me. (As I said, the weather was gorgeous.)

She came into my home with her husband (number 2!) Hubs came out dressed (at last)  and we sat down to catch up.

The men sat back, content to listen to our reminiscences, our peals of laughter, our catching up with lives, families and jobs. We spoke of how the old neighborhood changed, of who we still spoke to and who we missed. We recalled sneaking her dad’s whiskey to mix with cranberry juice way back when. We recalled stealing my dad’s smokes to puff while we drank in her back yard.

She was the one in the seat next to me on the first roller coaster I ever got on. She was the one who helped me eat a two pound chocolate ‘kiss’. She introduced me to comedy albums (her favorite was Gabe Kaplan and mine was Steve Martin) I took the blame when we were out past curfew, and I asked her stay overnight when I knew that her dad was plastered and arguing with her mom.

Our time together flew by too fast. We made plans to visit at her home. I will definitely see her when our classmates get together again.

And we will now blow up each other’s phones shooting the shit and becoming best friends all over again……

1. HoosierGirl said:

on September 9, 2010 at 10:01 AM

That’s neat!

As for Skype, my college daughter says I need to get it. I will see what I can do. I’ll let you know if I hook it up.

J.
    HoosierGirl´s last blog post ..Good News!

on September 9, 2010 at 10:50 AM

There is very little better than seeing and being with old friends!!
    Sybil Law´s last blog post ..No Parking On the Dance Floor

on September 9, 2010 at 12:33 PM

How wonderful! That’s so cool when you reconnect, isn’t it?

on September 9, 2010 at 6:19 PM

HoosierGirl-It is very neat! (Skype is free and pretty easy to learn. You can chat with Rachael)

on September 9, 2010 at 6:19 PM

SybilLaw-Being with old friends is a joy all it’s own. :)

on September 9, 2010 at 6:20 PM

Finn-reconnecting is awesome but even more so in this case, because she travelled all that way without even knowing whether I was home or not!

7. marty said:

on September 10, 2010 at 6:55 AM

It’s wonderful to re-connect with people you want to re-connect with. Facebook sometimes forces you to re-connect with forces of evil. I don’t friend those people despite their request that I do.

8. poet said:

on September 10, 2010 at 10:46 AM

what an awesome post. it is absolutely the best tihng to reconnect with old friends. pretty special, that~
    poet´s last blog post ..A Story about Adoption

on September 10, 2010 at 11:13 AM

marty-Not connecting with an evil force is definitely a plus of fb. You can simply ‘delete’ or ‘ignore’ :)

on September 10, 2010 at 11:14 AM

poet-It is very special indeed. I wish everyone could feel that joy.

11. Karl said:

on September 11, 2010 at 5:32 PM

How cool to have an unexpected friend from so long ago just show up on your doorstep. Glad you had a good time.

on September 11, 2010 at 8:48 PM

Karl-It was wonderful. It is always a good thing when friends show up….long enough to wave, or to share a beer, or to visit longer. :)