Wednesday September 22nd 2010, 10:47 AM
Filed under: Uncategorized

Doctors, Tests and Hope

Long time, no see…..

I have been sort of busy these past two weeks and to tell the truth I was feeling a bit uninspired. The first thing that went on was that I had my bone density test and mammogram. Both are great. I was kind of surprised about the bone density. I used to break bones easily as a kid and though I don’t do it now, I don’t take calcium/ vitamin D supplements as I should and I expected some degree of bone loss. Needless to say, I was pleasantly surprised.

Armed with these test results, I went back to the gynecologist for a consultation concerning my menopausal status. Due to a few different concerns, we were meeting to discuss HRT, or hormone replacement therapy.  I asked some friends for their input and tried to do some research on my own. As I went into the office, I thought I was well informed. I was wrong. Because of my ‘young’ age, HRT can be beneficial. However, there are some serious issues involved in taking it. I was told that if I changed my mind, I could stop at any time. I was bombarded with information. In the end, I decided to skip it. My doctor and I feel that a complete workup by a new family doctor may do more good for me than anything else.

One thing at a time. *sigh*

And so, I have seen a new doctor that I am very happy with. He listened with rapt attention to my concerns. He didn’t make me feel like a hypochondriac. And he said the magic words…”One thing at a time.”

Eventually,we will work on weight loss and finding a diet that will work with the diverticulitis and lowering my cholesterol, hopefully something that won’t be too difficult to keep up with. My thyroid levels will be looked at a bit more closely. But first, there is the wellbutrin….

The new doctor seems to think that my reasons for taking it sound more like anxiety than depression. Wellbutrin will not treat the anxiety. I will wean myself off that and move on to Lexapro. Thankfully, this should help two major concerns that are actually side effects of wellbutrin-loss of libido and weight gain.

I am quite happy right now. I feel more in control of my health-something I didn’t have with my previous doctor.

I never realized how much this has weighed on my mind. I have been feeling like I am the one who is failing at my diet. I’ve felt that it’s my head that makes me forgetful and frustrated. When the new doc told me that it could very well be the wrong medications that make me feel this way, I felt like he was taking a huge weight off my shoulders. Now I feel hopeful again.

I don’t know why I waited so long to make these changes. I hope it all works.

on September 22, 2010 at 11:13 AM

Yay! So glad your results came back better than you thought and you’re getting medications changed around…
    You still a crazy bitch, though.
    Hahaha
    xo
    Sybil Law´s last blog post ..Shirazmatazz

on September 22, 2010 at 11:39 AM

You can perform the bone density test at home. If you ever wonder, just jump off the roof. Broken ankle = weak bones.
    Grant´s last blog post ..30 Days of Honesty Meme

on September 22, 2010 at 12:13 PM

Funny, Welbutrin works wonderfully for me (I don’t suffer from anxiety so it’s a good fit). I gained weight on Lexapro and felt OK, but not great on it. Although the weight gain may have been from the menopause, but I couldn’t shake it no matter what I did. Now I am about five pounds from where I’d like to be.

I went with HRT because I couldn’t take the six hot flashes an hour and the emotional roller coaster. I am a bit younger than you are, so I think it has been and will be a good thing for me.

on September 22, 2010 at 12:20 PM

SybilLaw-Being a crazy bitch will never change. But I’ll manage….better living through chemistry. :))

on September 22, 2010 at 12:21 PM

Grant-I’ll have to remember that in case I lose my insurance. Lemme write that down…..jump….off…roof….Yep, got it!

on September 22, 2010 at 12:24 PM

Finn-I was never really “sad” per se, more like stressed, angry and shrill. The doc said it sounded like anxiety and when we talked, it seemed so obvious. I’ll be really happy to see how it works out. :) As for the HRT? I don’t have the hot flashes ‘that’ frequently and few other things may be settled by regulating the thyroid issue better.

7. Coal Miner's Granddaughter said:

on September 22, 2010 at 8:48 PM

Good for you, taking control and getting your health back on track. So many people just say “Ho, hum.” and never even go to the doctor. I hope everything works out and that eventually the “one thing at a time” adds up to nothing more to fix. :)
    Coal Miner’s Granddaughter´s last blog post ..A Long Time Ago

on September 22, 2010 at 9:34 PM

CMG- I am hoping the same thing. Just walking out of that office yesterday made me feel more positive about everything.

9. Tug said:

on September 23, 2010 at 6:11 PM

This is great news! I hope they find the medication that will work for you soon, and things start looking up!!
    Tug´s last blog post ..Beautiful start to a day

on September 24, 2010 at 12:57 PM

Tug-Things are already so positive for me. I think it is just the hopeful attitude. I can’t wait to start the changes. :)

11. teri said:

on September 26, 2010 at 12:20 PM

sometimes we don’t know why these things are happening until we go to the doctor and spill everything out to them. one thing can really effect another, etc. and it’s good when they connect the dots. Also, we feel like they won’t listen or try to send us for testing, other specialists, etc. and the thought of that makes us push it off.

I’m glad you found answers to the problems. Now hopefully the answers will start working.
    teri´s last blog post ..Bad body image

on September 26, 2010 at 1:39 PM

teri-It bothered me most that the one doctor that I saw was the one who couldn’t seem to keep track of what I was taking and why. HE WAS THE ONE PRESCRIBING THEM! Once I realized that, I started looking for a new one. My internist should be the one keeping track of that and also be aware of what the others are doing. I requested every single test result be sent to him!!