Thursday September 30th 2010, 2:33 PM
Filed under: other shit,weather

Listen to the Wind Blow

As I’ve gotten older, I have noticed that I have also gotten to be a chicken/crybaby/worrywart. I am afraid of spiders, no matter what size. They make my palms sweat, my scalp tingle and my heart race. There was never a traumatic incident to bring this on, and yet it is a fact of my life.

The only other thing that can get me so upset, is the weather.

The door to our first apartment was at the top of a fire escape staircase. Looking out of the door, I could see wires of all kinds- for the trolley line that stopped at the end of the driveway, for the train that stopped across the street, and the electric, phone and power lines that attached to the building. I was terrified that lightning would strike the power lines and bring wires down, trapping me in the apartment alone. I was afraid that it would hit the stairway where I would carelessly step and be electrocuted.  Perhaps part of that fear came from the fact that this was the first time I was out of my parent’s home. I was in my own place, with my new baby and my husband was working until six or seven in the evening.

Our second place was surrounded by trees. For the first time in my life, I was so close to the treetops. The wind would blow, whipping the branches against the windows and walls. What if lightning were to strike one? I had a little boy with me. I was pregnant with another. It was an old house converted into apartments. We were on the second floor, directly under the roof. The windows rattled and thunder sounded so very close.

I learned to relax in our house. No trees too close, in-laws only a few houses away, and a second floor between me and the elements. An enclosed porch on each side of the house kept me from actually seeing the trashcan blow away or the lightning flashes.

But we left there and moved here. Again I am surrounded by trees.  If something were to happen, I am on the corner of a busy street. Someone would notice. I am still afraid of the thunder. However, I know that I won’t be struck by lightning.  It will strike a tree or power line first…..right? (Don’t tell me if that is not true. Let me be in my ignorance!)

Two of the trees next to the house tilt. Their trunks are not straight and of course when the wind blows, my imagination gets to working. Was the ground around the trunk always bulging that far out?  Have the chipmunks or moles been busy with their tunnels around the roots? The holes I saw on the ground–were they from acorns? From cicadas or hornets? or are they signs of soil eroding….?

We have tornado warnings and wind advisories in my area today until seven pm. The wind has been blowing like a bitch all day. I don’t live in “Tornado Alley”. It’s not like this happens all the time. I can’t imagine what some of you experience when it happens two, three or four times a week in your area.

My logical mind tells me to relax. What happens will happen. Why borrow worry? The chances of something like that happening to me are fairly slim. Well, no matter what, I will sit here with my heart in my throat until Hubs comes home. Only then will I relax. But when the lights are out and it’s time for bed, I’ll lay there…..no sleep for me….I’ll be listening to the wind….

New Note: Power is out in three neighborhoods adjacent to mine. It’s only a matter of time befo

on September 30, 2010 at 3:18 PM

You should move someplace that doesn’t have weather or spiders. I recommend the Mariana Trench.
    Grant´s last blog post ..Day 13

on September 30, 2010 at 3:41 PM

I won’t live in a house without a basement because of tornadoes. I’ve seen a tornado, seen some crazy tornado damage, and yep – no basement means no Sybil, even though I’ve personally never been hurt by one.
    Hunker down – you’ll be fine. :)
    Sybil Law´s last blog post ..REDS

3. bluepaintred said:

on September 30, 2010 at 4:13 PM

I.Hate.Spiders.
    HATE THEM

I also very much dislike storms, but my apple trees are six feet high and 2 inches around.

on September 30, 2010 at 4:38 PM

Grant-If I could, I would seriously consider moving to a place with a fewer numbers of trees. I like shade and the scenery, but don’t like the way they bend in the wind!!

on September 30, 2010 at 4:40 PM

SybilLaw-Unfortunately, there is no way out of basement other than the one staircase. If there was, I’d be down there for sure!! Hunker down? As I type this, my street is blocked off due to a fallen tree at the other end.

on September 30, 2010 at 4:42 PM

Blue-I would love an apple tree or two that is only 6 feet high. My trees are taller than my house!! And spiders? AAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!

7. Robin said:

on October 1, 2010 at 7:49 AM

The older I get the more neurotic I get, I hate it, I’m turning into my mother. About trees though, we are surrounded by HUGE pine trees, I mean huge. If one fell on our house it would take the entire house out in one swoop. During the ice storm when trees were falling left and right we were in the house terrified all night long, it felt like we were in the movie Night of the Living Dead but instead of zombies trying to kill us it was trees.
    Robin´s last blog post ..Songs About Me

8. Nicci said:

on October 1, 2010 at 8:35 AM

It comes with age. I also find I am more jumpy. :o
    Nicci´s last blog post ..Short Story for Class

9. Coal Miner's Granddaughter said:

on October 1, 2010 at 8:56 AM

I used to love storms until I moved to Georgia. Now? Hate them with a passion. I’ve always got my eyes on the NOAA.gov web site and one hand on the basement door.
    Coal Miner’s Granddaughter´s last blog post ..Trying Not to Look Back

on October 1, 2010 at 11:58 AM

Robin-OMG! YES! I totally get that! The trees here will take out our house and the one that scares me the most will not hit me, but the house next door. Trees are zombies…..I like that. :)

on October 1, 2010 at 12:00 PM

Nicci-I am turning into one of those old women who will lock her doors and fear everything. @-)

on October 1, 2010 at 12:15 PM

CMG-I can’t imagine what you go through, especially because of yer young ‘uns. I’d be a nervous wreck!

13. Shelli said:

on October 1, 2010 at 2:44 PM

I kind of like storms. I’m one of those weird weather watchers. But, then, I grew up with severe weather being a part of my everyday life in the summer.
    Shelli´s last blog post ..Remember When

on October 1, 2010 at 9:20 PM

Shelli-You have such extremes in your neck of the woods! I don’t know how you go from season to season like that. I’d worry myself sick!

15. marty said:

on October 3, 2010 at 10:37 AM

We had a tornado in Brooklyn. It concentrated in the gentrified areas and not the neighborhoods where real people like me live. Good tornado!

on October 3, 2010 at 9:24 PM

Marty-I saw that! It always surprises me to see a tornado hit a ‘city’. I thought they needed wide open areas that let the winds gather speed. Besides,you have enough wind for three tornados!! :P

17. krayzedad2010 said:

on October 10, 2010 at 10:17 AM

Sorry but I love thunder storms and wind. Love lightening too. Now snow is another matter. If power goes out in the spring, winter or fall, then there is only spoiled food and maybe a wet basement. ( No, wet does not bread spiders.)
    However, winter is very cold and when the power goes out I could could freeze to death or the house could catch fire and the trucks wouldn’t get here to put it out.

I know all this has the remotest of chances of happening. I fell down the steps with my 18 mo in my arms. I twisted my ankle and bruised my shoulder and ego. He was fine. In the end that is all that matters to me.

You know that the news shows nothing but the horror of the world. In reality the events around us are mostly good. That is why I done’ watch the news. Trust me if the world comes to an end someone will call to let us know.:d
    krayzedad2010´s last blog post ..Terror and Toddlers