Wednesday December 01st 2010, 7:59 PM
Filed under: Hubs,miscellaneous

The Cave

For the first time in my thirty years of marriage, I have new bedroom furniture. When we got married, we bought a new bed, but the bureau was Hub’s while he grew up. From friends and family, we got bits and pieces here and there through the years. We always figured that there was a need for the money elsewhere, and as long as our clothes were put away, it was all good.

There was a local furniture store going out of business and I watched as the prices got slashed for clearance. All I wanted was a chair for the living room. Hubs has been asking for a recliner for years and since we had some “found” money, I suggested we go there and see if there was anything worth buying left on the showroom floor.

We strolled around the store and were surprised to see so many full living room sets. But upstairs held the treasures that I wanted to see…..bedroom sets and recliners!

We checked everything out and were stunned to see that full bedroom sets were far cheaper than we had anticipated. Before I knew it, Hubs had abandoned the search for a chair and was instead looking at the sets.  One by one was ruled out until finally, we had decided between two. The saleslady came to us with numbers and we asked for the best she could do. After consulting with the manager (of course. They are like car salesmen with that ploy…) She came back with a “good” price but we offered her a thousand less. AND THEY ACCEPTED IT!  With a bargain like that, we decided to buy a bigger mattress and box spring too!

And so, I got a new cherry wood bedroom set for Christmas.

I also have new drapes. They are the same deep shade of red as the pillow cases. I love them. It makes my room feel warm, which it really needed, considering that the walls were white. (I will be painting them beige after Christmas)  Hubs and I were excited that the drapes made the room very dark and cave-like in the middle of the afternoon. This is important to Hubs, especially when he works on night jobs or emergency calls and then needs to make up his sleep during the day. It’s also important to me when I have a migraine and I try to lie in the dark.

There is a drawback that is really hard for me to deal with. It is so dark that my internal clock is out of whack. I have a very hard time waking up in the morning. It is far too easy for me to roll over and go back to sleep. Unless I have something important to do, I lie there and watch tv or play on the laptop.

Ah, the life of leisure is a bitch.

**PS  I still need a recliner!!

1. Cath said:

on December 1, 2010 at 8:16 PM

Very nice! I love cherry wood.

2. Coal Miner's Granddaughter said:

on December 1, 2010 at 9:34 PM

Yeah, we’ve got the same set Ty bought for himself before we were married 15 years ago. We’ve got a queen-sized bed and now that the kids like to pile in on the weekends, it’s not big enough for all five of us. So, there may be new furniture in our future just to accommodate a king-sized bed.
    Coal Miner’s Granddaughter´s last blog post ..Praying the Rosary

3. Fudgelady said:

on December 2, 2010 at 12:21 AM

Congrats on getting such a good deal on your new bedroom set and drapes! I have to confess I didn’t know one could dicker on the price of furniture!

Happy snoozing in plushy comfort! :)
    Fudgelady´s last blog post ..Gentlemen- Start Your Engines!- The Indianapolis Motor Speedway

on December 2, 2010 at 9:21 AM

I would buy you a recliner, but you’ve been a mostly absent blogger. Bad girl! No treat.

When I moved out, I was given some fake oak colored furniture and was told that the rules are that I had to keep buying oak because I couldn’t have cherry unless I could afford to replace my entire household (and all the floorboards and other trim) all at once. And now, 20+ years later, I have classic American cherry and no desire to deal with the nutters who dropped that rule on me.
    Grant´s last blog post ..The Awesomeness That Is My Life- part the Latest

on December 2, 2010 at 9:38 AM

We are about to build an upholstered bed frame for us. Soon.

I’m so glad you’re painting the walls. Are you sure about the beige? Gray would look stunning. But, of course, it’s your house.:-\

on December 2, 2010 at 11:49 AM

OooH! Me likey!
    You could sell your old stuff on craigslist or something, and then use that money to get a recliner!
    God, I am so full of good ideas! Haha
    Sybil Law´s last blog post ..Day 15

on December 2, 2010 at 12:13 PM

Cath-I love it. It feels elegant and “grown-up”.

on December 2, 2010 at 12:14 PM

CMG- Believe it or not, we had been in a FULL sized bed. (Yes really) Now it is queen sized and I am happy as a pig in slop!

on December 2, 2010 at 12:17 PM

fudgelady-This was a ‘going-out-of-business’ sale and they actually advertised it with “Make us an offer” but I have also heard that even in a department store, you can sometimes negotiate bargains with the right salesperson (on home decor, china, silver, etc!!)

on December 2, 2010 at 12:20 PM

Grant-That rule is BULLSHIT! You can have whatever you want! Yes, I have been mostly absent, but the whole meds adjustment has left me with no incentive or inspiration. I am trying very hard to get into the shower and get dressed and it exhausts me. BUT….I have no intention of quitting the blog and I am trying very hard to get back into some type of rhythm again.

on December 2, 2010 at 12:21 PM

Finn-Gray? Hmm….that’s one I never even considered. I like the thought of it! (My high school colors were garnet and gray-so that is kinda close)

on December 2, 2010 at 12:23 PM

SybilLaw-The beauty of having grown-up boys with full-time jobs is that I can ask for one for Christmas!! We took great joy in smashing up the drawers that were bottom buckled and had broken handles. The only people who would buy it would be using it for kindling!

13. bubblewench said:

on December 3, 2010 at 11:05 AM

Yeah for new bedroom set! So pretty! So happy you two did something for YOURSELVES. You deserve it.
    bubblewench´s last blog post ..Lucky then and now

on December 3, 2010 at 8:31 PM

Bubblewench-It always feels good to do something cool for the kids and other members of the family, but when we do something for ourselves, we celebrate for months!