Monday December 06th 2010, 7:27 PM
Filed under: assholes,fashion,holiday,lessons,other shit

Happy Holidays?

This weekend I did some shopping at the King of Prussia mall with Son1 and Shenanigans. I was there once upon a time…..like when it opened “the Court” section in 1981. Back then, I was the mom of one-year-old Son1 and I was relatively broke. I went with a girlfriend who tried to talk me into spending $25 for a pair of white cotton ‘granny panties’ that said “Bloomingdale’s”.  In all the interim years, the only thing that never changed about that mall was that it consisted of the higher end stores.

Flash forward to this Saturday.  It was obvious from the parking lot that things were very different from the mall less than a couple of miles away from my house. The parking lot was full of Volvos, BMW’s and Hummers. Groups of shoppers were leaving the mall laden with bags from Michael Kors, Coach, and Tiffany’s.  The girls headed into the malls wore their high heels and pricey boots. The guys were well-coifed and looked like ads from GQ Magazine. I felt out of place, even though I actually “dressed up” to go shopping!

The three of us had a great time. We window shopped, pointing out things for our “wish” lists. We imagined the ways that our homes would look if we could afford the things that were sold in some of the artsy stores. We stopped for lunch and ate Cajun food, something we talk about doing but never have the opportunity to do.  While we ate, we watched the people who walked by us. Not only were the stores, and prices ‘higher’, but the shoppers were…..I don’t know the exact word…..

Girls walked by looking down their noses at each other, they pulled merchandise from racks and shelves, and then threw them back with disdain, as though cashmere sweaters weren’t good enough to touch their skin. The guys were in two groups, the ones who absolutely loved shopping and knew where to go and what to buy and the ones who were only there to kill time. Little kids whined until they got whatever they wanted and the parents……

The parents all seemed like they were somewhere else mentally. It was like a ‘chore’ to be there. They were on their phones arguing about whether to get the kids what they wanted or to get them what they needed to go on vacation. Some argued with their kids “No, they only have that bag in brown……But it’s not in black…..What do you want to do?….Fine, then ask your father to take you….I don’t care really….Don’t come home, it’s his night….”

The lights were bright and twinkling. The music wasn’t too loud but it was quite festive. Babies sat on Santa’s lap.

If I could ignore everyone except Son1 and Shenanigans, I could be in the holiday spirit. If I let the others in, I could be depressed by the lack of …. would it be ‘lack of humanity’?  a ‘lack of joy’?  a ‘lack of family warmth’?  People pushed by us without a single “Excuse me” It was normal to hear “Tsk!” , followed by the loud-whisper “OMG, did you see that? How rude!”

I ignored the outside world. I enjoyed my day with Son1 and Shenanigan. I am going shopping tomorrow with an old friend. We’ll be going to a different mall. I am curious to see if this is normal behavior this year, or if this weekend’s adventure was an anomaly.  I hope that people aren’t so indifferent this season…….

on December 6, 2010 at 8:28 PM

Yep – I was at the freaking mall this weekend, too. I HATE the mall. But Z’s b-day is Wednesday, and she LOVES the mall (what the hell does she know? She’s not even 9!) and she wanted to go shopping. So we shopped. And I survived. I didn’t even kill anyone. Actually, the traffic surrounding the mall wasn’t bad, either, which is fricking whacked. Good, obviously, but it shocked me!
    Anyway, I tried to enjoy it but I was only WAY too happy to get home!
    Sybil Law´s last blog post ..Meme Imposed Narcissism

2. bubblewench said:

on December 7, 2010 at 6:33 AM

So you were like maybe 10 seconds from MY HOUSE and you didn’t call me??? ppphhhttt…

I work across the street from KOP, and I’ll tell ya, I do everything in my power to avoid going in there. Especially this time of year, it’s awful.

Glad you had fun w/the kids though!!
    bubblewench´s last blog post ..Lucky then and now

on December 7, 2010 at 9:59 AM

Next time wear overalls and a straw hat and chew on a corn cob pipe. Wear a sign that says “give me a quarter or I’ll touch you”.
    Grant´s last blog post ..Good News for a Change

4. Megan said:

on December 7, 2010 at 10:16 AM

Sounds like Boca to me. I grew up with these people. The more money you have, the more tiresome you become. Sweeping generalization, but there it is.

I love those kind of malls for the merchandise, but the people should just stay home and buy online.
    Megan´s last blog post ..Light Show

on December 7, 2010 at 3:31 PM

SybilLaw-I’ve been out to a few places that didn’t seem to be overly crowded. This place? MOBBED! I didn’t kill anyone either….we must be slipping!

on December 7, 2010 at 3:32 PM

Bubblewench-I knew I was close, just not HOW close! It never occured to me to call and have you meet us there for lunch. :( Next time!!

on December 7, 2010 at 3:34 PM

Grant-I really should consult you before I go out in public. You have the BEST FREAKIN’ IDEAS!!

on December 7, 2010 at 3:36 PM

Megan-I have family in Marco Island and they are there too. GAH! I can’t stand being near such people!!! the merchandise and stores were glorious though……

9. bubblewench said:

on December 7, 2010 at 6:50 PM

Darn right you better call me! I hate we live so close and never see each other!
    bubblewench´s last blog post ..Lucky then and now

10. MattMan said:

on December 8, 2010 at 11:01 AM

I have but one word to say to you…”Suck It”. Okay, two. Cheers!!

on December 8, 2010 at 2:30 PM

MattMan-Watch what you say to me, Matty!!! I am considering a visit to Bagwine in the spring!! LOL

12. delmer said:

on December 9, 2010 at 8:55 AM

I try very hard to avoid the mall. It seems like I was there 6 weeks ago or so, but I’ll be darned if I can remember what for.

I do most of my shopping at Target. It’s close… the parking lot is huge… and the shirts I like to wear can be had for $3.50 at the end of the season.