Saturday May 14th 2011, 5:39 PM
Filed under: doctors,Grant,owies,pets

Mordecai

I have quite a few posts that are started. Many of them contain photos and tell of my travels with Bubblewench. However, something else happened that is sucking alot of my time.

Bandit has a little brother. Two weeks ago, a friend of Son2 posted this picture on Facebook:

It was a cute little pup that looked just like my Bandit. She had rescued it from someone who was going to take him to the pound. She described him as “smart, housebroken, good with kids” and at a year and a half of  age, he wouldn’t be growing much more. After a bit of thought, I called Hubs and he agreed to the adoption. We went to pick him up and were greeted by the sweetest little fella.

He is small. We found out that he is part chihuahua….the part that barks. At least he only does it when there is someone strange around or when he gets excited playing. It is tolerable. He is a cuddler and he is frisky. We threw names about because no one knew what his name was. Sparky? Skittles? Outlaw? Smoky? None had suited him. Finally Babygirl, in desperation, said “Oh hell. He’ll probably answer to something stupid, like ‘Mordecai’.” With that, the pup ran over to her and got excited. We tried it again and again and each time, he had a reaction. And so, his name is Mordecai.

Bandit has taken the new arrival in stride. He has taught Mordecai to stay downstairs. He is teaching him to be more calm when on the leash. And Mordecai is teaching Bandit to play with another dog, stop being a scaredy-cat, and to share ‘mommy’s’ attention.

Bandit sighs alot and gives me the equivalent of an exaggerated ‘eyeroll’ when Mordecai misbehaves.

They both went to the vet for shots and unfortunately, Mordecai had a slight reaction. The injection site hurt enough to make him yelp in pain when touched. I was ready to ‘wait it out’ but Bandit was behaving strangely. He offered Mordecai his ball and his bones. He licked his face and sniffed his neck gently. They say that animals can sense when things are wrong and the fact that Bandit seemed “worried” about his new buddy, made me take this more seriously. I called the animal ER and they told me that benedryl would hold him over til the morning. His regular vet told me to give him baby tylenol which worked wonders.

Today is the first day that I could sit quietly and do this properly. I plan on catching up with the other posts soon. I haven’t forgotten the blog nor any of you.

**PS, Grant, I got the cards and loved them. I’m just the ignorant bitch who hasn’t responded. Therefore, you are getting a public apology. Love you.

on May 14, 2011 at 6:35 PM

Yeah – you could tell he wasn’t 100% Boston terrier. Adorable, though! Glad he’s okay now!

2. Karl said:

on May 14, 2011 at 6:36 PM

Congrats on the new addition to your family. Mordecai is a cutie.
    Karl´s last blog post ..The Nays Have It

3. Mik said:

on May 14, 2011 at 6:46 PM

He is a cute little fella.
    Mik´s last blog post ..They’re talking a foreign language I tell ya

on May 14, 2011 at 6:46 PM

SybilLaw-Yep. He has an uncut tail, slimmer in the hips and smaller head. He’s a little trouble maker now. He’s making Bandit play and I’m sure B will lose weight soon.

on May 14, 2011 at 6:48 PM

Karl-Thank you. He is cute and he certainly looks alot like Bandit!

on May 14, 2011 at 6:48 PM

Mik-He is cute, but not too cute to make me spoil him….too much….

7. bubblewench said:

on May 16, 2011 at 9:56 AM

omg.. I saw pics on FB.. didn’t realize you got him!! Congrats!! Too adorable..
    bubblewench´s last blog post ..Lucky update and Seven

8. Megan said:

on May 16, 2011 at 10:04 AM

I love the name! He’s adorable, and I love that Bandit has taken him under his wing. It’s so sweet.

Congrats!
    Megan´s last blog post ..Details

on May 16, 2011 at 11:46 AM

bubblewench-wait til you meet him. He is a sweet boy and just as lovable as Bandit.

on May 16, 2011 at 11:47 AM

Megan-We expected alot more jealousy but instead got more of an “older brother” vibe. It is great to see them teaching each other.