Tuesday July 05th 2011, 10:27 PM
Filed under: assholes,lessons,other shit,questions

Who’s To Say?

I am not writing this to say that Casey Anthony is guilty or not guilty. I believe that has been decided in a Florida courtroom. I am, however, writing this about the outcome and the resulting outrage.

It is MY opinion that Nancy Grace whipped the public into a frenzy in the many months that this was in the news. It is MY opinion that she helped fan every rumor into what many perceived as “facts”.  Did she kill her daughter? We will never know. Did she lie? Definitely.

WE are not the jury. WE may have sat in front of our televisions for the past weeks hanging on every word. But did we listen with unbiased ears? If we took the word “CHILD” or “MOTHER” out of the equation, would there still be the outrage? The thought of a mother killing her child cuts to the very heart of every other mother. No one can imagine doing that to their OWN child. But that is beside the point. The jury followed the law. Circumstantial evidence is not enough to convict someone. No one witnessed Caylee’s death. Even the coroner could not say exactly how Caylee died.

And so, if a few of my friends on Facebook are to be believed, at 9pm, we should be lighting our front lights for Caylee. Why?  It won’t change the verdict. It won’t bring the little girl back.

If – God forbid – someone I know or love ever needs a jury trial, I am terrified of who would be chosen as a jury. Do I want someone who will ‘assume’ guilt the way that many on television or Twitter have? Do I want someone who gets all their news from Joy Behar, Nancy Grace, Anderson Cooper or the myriad other talking heads? Hell no!

I want someone who will look at the facts. I want someone who will follow the letter of the law. I want someone who will take an oath to uphold justice.

I want someone willing to make the hard choices. I don’t envy those jurists for one minute. They will be despised by millions for doing their duty as Americans.

1. Fantastagirl said:

on July 5, 2011 at 10:38 PM

Until I have to sit on a jury and make those decisions, I’m keeping my comments to myself. I was under the understanding that jurors are given very specific instructions as to what they can decide, there isn’t a lot of wiggle room. But, I didn’t follow the trial on TV, I don’t know all the details and most importantly, I wasn’t in the courtroom and I didn’t hear what the jurors heard.

2. Robin said:

on July 5, 2011 at 10:42 PM

I have heard everything from “she just got away with it because she’s white” to “what are the jurors – stupid??” I don’t know if I agree with any of that shit. What I do believe is that even if she was convicted, we’ll never know what really happened to that little girl. That’s what makes me sad. If Casey Anthony killed her daughter and hid it for a month before reporting it, then the prosecution should have presented a stronger case to convict her. From the little that I saw of the case, it looks like the prosecution really REALLY wanted to, but they either didn’t or couldn’t. And now she’s awaiting sentence on the charges she was found guilty of. It’s one of those things where it is what it is.

Don’t get me started on Nancy Grace. Bitch crazy.
    Robin´s last blog post ..Things I Am Happy About….

on July 5, 2011 at 10:51 PM

fantastagirl-I agree. I don’t think that even if we watched the tv coverage we would have heard everything. How distracted can you get in your own home. People couldn’t have the riveted attention like the jurors did. I won’t say how I feel about whether she did it or not, but I feel A LOT about the ones saying “I’d better not see her in a dark alley.” please!

on July 5, 2011 at 10:54 PM

Robin-I just wonder if the girl could get a fair trial. EVERYBODY heard something about what Ninny Gross was saying! I do agree with you though. The prosecution should have tried harder and they would have if there was PROOF.

You’re right. It is what it is.

5. Robin said:

on July 5, 2011 at 11:03 PM

This case reminds me of the OJ trial. You know they had something to do with it, but no one can prove that shit.
    Robin´s last blog post ..Things I Am Happy About….

on July 5, 2011 at 11:07 PM

Robin-Oh yeah….Well put. :)

on July 5, 2011 at 11:32 PM

Also: the defense lawyers did their job. Prosecution – didn’t.
    It’s a shame. People just want SOMEONE to pay, because it’s such a heinous crime. Such a mob mentality. I mean, I think she’s a crazy bitch, but a killer? I have no fucking clue. And neither does Nancy Grace, or the gazillion other assholes who are sure they know.

8. Megan said:

on July 6, 2011 at 9:06 AM

It’s hard to say the child was murdered when they can’t even determine cause of death. I agree with Sybil – the prosecution didn’t do its job, the defense did. And that’s the price of freedom, kids. Better a few murderers go free than one innocent person be unjustly punished.

on July 6, 2011 at 9:49 AM

SybilLaw-VERY well put. And “mob mentality” was the exact phrase that eluded me! Damn, girl! You summed it up perfectly!

on July 6, 2011 at 9:52 AM

Megan-I agree with you. And YES it is the price of freedom. I just don’t understand the way some folks put on blinders and forget that is one of those things that make living in the US so great.

11. Janelle said:

on July 6, 2011 at 10:41 AM

I refuse, RE-FUSE to watch Nancy Grace, even if she is on another show running her fucking mouth, I change the channel (sorry for the language, but I really cannot stand her). In the rare moments when I did see Nancy Grace on TV spewing her own unique brand of hatred and couldn’t change the channel quick enough, I have made the following assumptions of her loud mouth: She thinks the louder she gets, the more right she is. She feels she has to fucking talk over everyone and doesn’t let anyone get out a full sentence –whether they agree with her or not. She needs to get her facelift redone because those eyebrows, are impossible to look at and makes it impossible for me to take her serious.
    I do feel Caylee died on Casey’s watch. I just think it wasn’t intentional. Whether the little girl drowned in a pool or was overdosed on Chloroform by her mother, I do believe it was an accident. I don’t think she purposely took her life. And I feel instead of people blaming the jury (which I have to admit, I was upset at first with them as well) fault really falls on the prosecution for not proving a damn thing other than there is a dead little girl and that Casey lied. A lot.
    The prosecution should have gone all the way with manslaughter and not 1st degree murder. I think the outcome would have been different had all they had to prove was the baby died on Casey’s watch, and not pre-mediated. But what do I know?
    I do agree with you 100%, if I was ever charged with something, I would want the jury to follow the letter of the law. And I would rather a guilty baby killer walks free than for my own freedom to ever be jeopardized. But I guess I’m just selfish in that respect.
    Great post!!!

12. shiny said:

on July 6, 2011 at 10:55 AM

… so what you’re saying is that we should be watching more FOX News? :)

(Very well written. Thank you for this!)
    shiny´s last blog post ..Gender Benders, John Wayne (Gacy?), and Go the F*#@ to Sleep HTMH#14 [LISTEN]

on July 6, 2011 at 11:03 AM

Janelle-So…I shouldn’t invite you to join the Nancy Grace fan club? LMAO!! I always welcome readers to speak from the heart and I’m not afraid of language. You made me LOL.

NOW, that said. Yes. I think the baby died on Mom’s watch. And the prosecution did a piss poor job. It’s a shame they didn’t work harder. ” I would rather a guilty baby killer walks free than for my own freedom to ever be jeopardized.” YES!!! 100 TIMES YES!!!

on July 6, 2011 at 11:05 AM

Shiny-Don’t get me started on FOX news! I would love to see news reporters prosecuted for spewing false news and unverified rumors. But…there we go with free speech!

15. Tina said:

on July 6, 2011 at 11:53 AM

Ok, Ok, OK.

I admit I am one of those people who say she should be hanged. I have watched the news and I have a love hate relationship with it. They absolutely create frenzy, not just with this but with everything.

My reasons for thinking she should be hanged …. She did not report her child missing until her mother made her, meanwhile she was out partying it up, not even discussing her child except to lie about her being with a nanny. Those are indeed the acts of someone that has something to hide. Her mother perjured herself by stating that she was the one that did the internet search for chlorophyll that ended in chlorophorm and was then proved to have perjured herself by the computer expert from her place of work that confirmed she was working the day and time those searches were done. Why? Why lie about something if there is no need? Where this child was wronged was by the prosecution, who should not have pursued a death penalty but instead should have gone after a lesser charge, something that would equate to life in prison or close to it. It is a sad sad day. I agree, candle ceremonies and teddy bears left in the woods won’t help. But karma is going to hit this family and hit it hard. They will probably all end up alienating and hating each other meanwhile Casey will no doubt thrive in the limelight. All at the cost of a 2 year olds life.

on July 6, 2011 at 12:15 PM

Tina-For all we know, the mom was cracked out of her mind on drugs and never even knew how much time had passed. That’s not for me to say. BUT she was definitely guilty of lying and that is why every single charge of lying was a “guilty”. Why would the grandmother lie? Because she thought she was helping her daughter. Most likely, in her mind, she had lost her granddaughter and was in danger of losing her own daughter. Again, not for me to say. I was in no one’s mind. And, oh yes, karma is a bitch.

17. Lily said:

on July 6, 2011 at 8:15 PM

If that tiny little girl weren’t murdered, how did she get duct taped & left/buried in the woods. She surely didn’t duct tape herself.

on July 6, 2011 at 9:05 PM

Lily-I never denied that the girl died. There was just no solid evidence to say who did it or if she died from the tape. The statement that she didn’t tape herself is, of course, ludicrous. I just wish that the prosecution would have found a way to prove their case.

19. Karl said:

on July 7, 2011 at 10:56 AM

Very well said. The jurors did what they had to do, based on what they were given to work with. Which wasn’t much. While I also believe Caley died on Casey’s watch, the evidence presented just wasn’t enough. As for Nancy Grace, she sickens me. I do like Anderson Cooper, though.
    Karl´s last blog post ..Frivolous

on July 7, 2011 at 12:46 PM

Karl-Thank you. Did you see any of the hoopla in your area?