Monday September 05th 2011, 9:43 AM
Filed under: family,holiday,kids,love,Uncategorized

Labor Day Nostalgia

Labor Day. A time to reflect on all those who have built this country on the sweat of their brows and strength of their backs. A time to thank God that you have a job when so many do not. And of course, a time to spend with family and friends at a BBQ or at the shore….good food, cold drinks, and great times.

It is holidays like this that make me miss my in-laws the most.

They were the ones with the biggest yard, most parking and two bathrooms. Mom and Dad’s house was the place for everyone to stop in to say hello and end up staying because someone would offer to light the grill. Tom1 and Tom2 would offer to cook the food. The ‘sisters’ would offer to make salads and whatever. Nieces and nephews would show up with wading pools, water guns, bubbles etc, and most importantly…..the horseshoes.

Children’s laughter would ring out. The clank of horseshoes followed by the men yelling over whether it was a ringer or not. The women would compare recipes, discuss school schedules, or just bitch about their husbands. Since we lived four doors away, and another sister was next door to us, the kids would run up and down the block, and play stickball in the street, or get juice and snacks away from their mom’s watchful eyes.

Now, with Mom and Dad gone, the house is owned by my SIL. She loves family too, but is impatient with babies. She would like everyone to visit, but please go home after an hour. I understand that. ┬áHubs is much the same way. For a while, BBQs were held at another sister’s house, but then the kids became young adults with kids of their own. Her house just couldn’t handle the number of people.

Besides, it isn’t the same.

Mom and Dad aren’t there. Dad isn’t nodding off on the couch. Mom isn’t complaining about the footprints left by the kids or the bugs getting into the house. She had a way of doing that was a million laughs to imitate. It was always a welcoming time. If you had plans, you just didn’t show up. If you didn’t have anything to do, someone would be there to hang out with. Kids would bring their friends…..all of which called them ‘Grandmom and Grandpop”.

We could do it all today. Have a party full of people, food and drink. We’d laugh and have a great time.

And we’d miss Mom and Dad…..even after four years.

1. cathy said:

on September 5, 2011 at 12:16 PM

What wonderful memories you have and what a wonderful tradition grandmom and grandpop had for so long!! No wonder you miss them so much, they sound like lovely people. Happy labour to you even if it isn’t the same. They gave you a great gift with the memories they created!
    cathy´s last blog post ..Some of my favorite philosophies of life

on September 5, 2011 at 12:52 PM

cathy-Oh yes. The in-laws were big fans of holidays and as Hubs is one of 7, the crowd is BIG. Now the 7 have at least 3 kids each and now the grandkids are having kids…I loved my in-laws so much.

on September 5, 2011 at 8:11 PM

Awww – yep – makes me miss my own grandparents and the big family celebrations. One aunt of mine has 24 acres, a creek, 3 barns and an indoor arena and a house big enough to host, but she’s so WEIRD now, and her kids are all screwy.
    Miss the good ol’ days.
    Sybil Law´s last blog post ..Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da

4. Megan said:

on September 6, 2011 at 9:55 AM

I love change, but not this kind. I miss Christmas Eve at my grandparents’ place and Thanksgivings at my aunt’s house.

*hugs*
    Megan´s last blog post ..Now Open: The Thousand Words Store

on September 6, 2011 at 10:47 AM

SybilLaw-My house is barely big enough for everyone but I will never give up Christmas Eve. It’s only four hours…just enough to get drunk and get annoyed at each other. Then they all go home.LOL

on September 6, 2011 at 10:49 AM

Megan-I really miss the stuff with my own family. My aunt was the one who used to do that and now she’s gone too. *sigh* I need a bigger house so I can do all this stuff…..