Wednesday September 28th 2011, 6:25 PM
Filed under: doctors,fashion,happy,other shit,weight

New Attitude

As soon as I promised to write more, I fall off the planet again.

Actually I am coming to terms with news from my doctor. I went to the office last Wednesday for a checkup on my numbers, my weight and my horrible allergies. I have lost five pounds and more than five inches on my waist. This was good news.

By the time I got into the examining room, however, my allergy-pressure-migraine was ready to peak. I was afraid of throwing up or worse-passing out. The doc looked at me and handed me a prescription to deal with it. The last time I discussed pills for this, I was told that it would be something that I would take every day to keep migraines at bay. Not wanting to deal with that, I just dealt with them the best way that I could-ice packs, caffeine, and peppermint oil. Those three combined do a bang up job, but I have to be home for them. This pill, however, was bliss. I love my doctor!

And then we discussed my cholesterol. It seems that a summer of parties, party cake, potato salad, and of course alcohol has finally caught up with me. If I had avoided those things, my weight loss would have been more than five pounds. Instead it made my cholesterol spike. I have one month to fix this before he says I will need medication. Not thrilled.

Since I have done so well with my half hour of walking every day, he now wants me to raise it to one hour. This is doable. The next step is two fresh or frozen fruits and two vegetables a day. One fish a week and more beans. This is a very simple step for me to incorporate. I am so freaking happy that he is encouraging me with very tiny steps.

Oh it is showing. I had a pair of  jeans that were so comfortable. I gained weight and put them away hoping that ‘someday’ I would fit in them again. Finally, I resigned myself to the fact that they could be doing someone else some good and so I put them in the Goodwill pile in the basement. While looking for something different last week, I came upon them and pulled them on….just for shits and giggles. Lo and behold!! They fit me again!!!

And there you have it. Nothing is new….except my attitude!

on September 28, 2011 at 7:09 PM

While I’m happy for your health and weight loss, I want to smack you for getting that Patti Labelle song stuck in my head. I think it’s her. Either way, it sucks!
    Also, that naaasty picture of nudie leggings… puke!
    :d

2. Megan said:

on September 29, 2011 at 9:40 AM

Congrats on the five pounds! Please do what the doctor says. Those are sensible, simple steps to take. Good luck! xo
    Megan´s last blog post ..Shaped

on September 29, 2011 at 9:54 AM

SybilLaw-I am so sorry about the song. I didn’t notice when I wrote this. I swear! But payback is a bitch and now I have stuck in MY HEAD too!!! *nudie leggings was soooo bad!!*

on September 29, 2011 at 9:56 AM

Megan-I love this doctor. He keeps giving me tiny healthy tips and it’s a lot easier than being overwhelmed with dieting ‘rules’. It can be a pain going back to the office for blood work and checkins but it is paying back with more than money.

5. ella said:

on October 2, 2011 at 5:56 AM

wow great job, your attitude is the most important thing, it makes the world look different and helps you when u’re down and pushes u further when u’re up :)
    ella´s last blog post ..3D Animation Software

6. barak said:

on October 5, 2011 at 10:59 AM

Sounds like you have a dramatic change on your health life.
    keep up the good work, not only for the sake of weight lost, moreover for the sake of happy and longer life.
    barak´s last blog post ..Old Dog & New Tricks – Deaf dog tricks, step 1 (dog’s attention)

7. Michael said:

on November 30, 2011 at 8:33 AM

Balance. That’s the solution to any problem. You have to find the balance between everything

o:-)