Tuesday November 01st 2011, 10:23 AM
Filed under: happy,kids,love

He’s Here

Alas, poor blog, I have again been neglectful. However, I must beg your forgiveness for this time, it was neither mere laziness nor lack of inspiration. It was an event so momentous that it will change my life forever.

I have become a grandmother.

Shortly after the last post, while raking, Hubs stumbled upon a nest of wasps. In their anger, they stung him 8-10 times in the back of his left shoulder. In his haste to pull off the shirt, he tweaked his tendonitis and damaged rotator cuff. This meant a week of taking him to the doctor and MRIs and x-rays. Next stop will be orthopedist because we fear that stings have exacerbated damage that we have ignored for many years.

As we were coming to terms with all of that, we were also awaiting the birth of the grandson. Babygirl came home for her 20th birthday, and we took her out for a family dinner. Shenanigans came too and she broke the news that she had been having contractions for the past 24 hours. We were so excited. Son1 had even been running errands and doing his soccer coaching with her emergency  bag in the back of his car! Two days after dinner, we got a call that she was at the hospital.

Oh the excitement!! It was 6:30am.  I rushed to shower and change. Hubs rushed to get a job started so that he could be available when it was time for us to go to the hospital. The phone rang at 11. The doctor was sending Shenanigans home because she wasn’t quite done baking. The adrenaline crash was maddening.

The following days were spent making sure that the house was clean, that laundry was done and meals were ready in anticipation of a sudden day spent with Son1. Doctor visits occurred on Tuesday and Thursday and still, the doctor said she wasn’t ready. Thursday’s appointment even included pre-op forms to prepare for inducing labor on Halloween.

I was sitting home on Friday, relaxing with a book and a cup of coffee. It was cooling off and the weathermen were calling for snow–IN OCTOBER! What a rare occurrence! The phone rang at 3, dragging me from the book. Son1 was heading to the hospital straight from work. Shenanigans had gone to the hospital at noon and didn’t call anyone until she had made sure that it was time. This time, her water had broken and things were starting to progress. I called Hubs, texted Babygirl and Son2 and by 5, I was headed to the hospital.

Son kept us informed. “She’s getting an epidural now.” “It’s progressing nicely” “Can you pick up Jazzy?”

WHAT??

Jazzy had been in school when her mom left the house. She was with her Pop-Pop and was waiting for word about her new brother. We raced to get her through the rain which had started, past our own home, to Son1’s house. She jumped into the car, and told us how excited she was. And then I got a text.

“He’s here!!”

We made our way back to the nursery and signed in. We were ushered to a room where we found my son, cradling his own son in his arms. He looked at me and tears began streaming down his cheeks. “He’s beautiful Mommy!  Jazzy, come see your brother!”

This is Logan Gibson Hutton. He is only one hour old.

I beheld a perfect little boy, his eyes wide and alert. His head turned to follow my son’s voice as he moved around the room. Shenanigans was glowing, even in her discomfort and exhaustion.  The love in the room was almost overwhelming.

With a great effort, we dragged ourselves away to leave the little family to bond together. Snow had begun in earnest and it would continue for the next ten hours. We went to dinner to celebrate and have a few drinks.

As we sat at the bar, one of our favorite bartenders came over and said “I haven’t seen you guys in a while. What’s new?” And then it happened…….

I became that grandmother…..

“Let me show you a picture of my new grandson…..”

Now I need a bumper sticker and a shirt that states “Ask me about my grandkid.”

Oh Lord, SAVE ME FROM MYSELF!!!!

1. teri tighe said:

on November 1, 2011 at 10:34 AM

I LOVE seeing pictures of the grandkids, etc. so don’t beat yourself up about showing the pictures. So excited for you and the family. Congrats!!!

on November 1, 2011 at 11:06 AM

Teri-I love to take the pictures. I always laughed at the stereotypical grandparents that open their wallets and a ribbon of pics unroll! LOL Now I fear that I am destined to join their ranks!

3. Megan said:

on November 1, 2011 at 11:13 AM

Look at that face! Gorgeous. Go ahead, be that grandmother!
    Megan´s last blog post ..New Perspective

on November 1, 2011 at 12:35 PM

Megan-He is beautiful…..I could eat those cheeks up!!

5. Linda said:

on November 1, 2011 at 4:37 PM

I DO wanna hear it! Congratulations to the happy grandparents and parents and the rest of the family!!

You will be SUCH a cool rockin’ Grandma!! :-)

6. bluepaintred said:

on November 1, 2011 at 4:42 PM

I loved seeing your pictures! You can be THAT grandma anytime!

on November 1, 2011 at 4:46 PM

Linda-Thank you my dear! I was singing a German lullaby and I was warned…”No death metal songs to the baby!”

on November 1, 2011 at 4:48 PM

Bluepaintred-I went to buy a sweatshirt and saw tons of “grandmom” shirts. I kept saying “awwwww” until my husband walked away and picked out a bunch of sweaters for me. I’m not allowed to buy them for myself. A gift? That’s different! LOL

9. Cathy said:

on November 1, 2011 at 5:09 PM

He’s gorgeous Chris!!!Many many congrats and show that boy off!! I am constantly pulling my phone out to show anyone that will look at my precious little baby!!!

on November 1, 2011 at 5:21 PM

Cathy- I don’t know whether I pull them out to show off or to look at them some more for myself!

11. Karl said:

on November 1, 2011 at 6:23 PM

What a cutie. Congratulations.
    Karl´s last blog post ..RIP Steve

12. bluepaintred said:

on November 1, 2011 at 6:25 PM

you have a great hubby :D

on November 1, 2011 at 6:45 PM

Karl-Thanks ever so. I can’t wait to hold him again.

on November 1, 2011 at 6:45 PM

bluepaintred-Thank God he has better taste than I do! LMAO

on November 1, 2011 at 8:14 PM

Yes!! I was wondering when you’d blog about it, grandma!! :)

on November 1, 2011 at 8:57 PM

SybilLaw-It took me a bit, but it’s all over fb. LOL. I just had to spend time with Logan, and let my dogs know that even though I wasn’t around this weekend, I still love em. :))

17. delmer said:

on November 2, 2011 at 9:56 AM

Congrats on the new arrival!

on November 2, 2011 at 11:12 AM

Delmer-Why thank you! He’s a keeper.

19. gracia19 said:

on November 2, 2011 at 11:31 AM

Congratulations on becoming a new grandma! I guess the feeling is not the same as becoming a mother, but both must be really wonderful! You must be proud for having a really good looking grandson! Cheers!
    gracia19´s last blog post ..The best Diet solutions to supplement weight loss

on November 2, 2011 at 4:59 PM

gracia19-Thank you very much

21. Margret said:

on November 14, 2011 at 10:31 AM

Congratulations!I know that it is so wonderful to have a grand kid.And I’m so happy for you too, for giving you a new gift comes from God.He’s really cute.Thank you for posting his photo.