Wednesday November 02nd 2011, 11:37 AM
Filed under: Anger,assholes,business

R-E-S-P-E-C-T

As my husband’s business partner, I deal with a myriad of things. I send out emails, write up the billing, catch the faxes that come and go, and search the internet for supplies that are hard to find at our local supply houses. The most important thing, however, is answering the phone. I am the voice of the company. Customers call me to ask if this is the correct business for their needs. They call when they electrical emergencies and even for something as trivial as flipping a switch on their fuse boxes.

Today, I got a call from a guy who needed to reschedule an appointment. This isn’t usually a big deal. It wasn’t a big deal in this case either. The big deal stemmed from the attitude I subjected to.

This condescending asshat used words like ‘honey’ and ‘sweetie’. There was also, the “Can he call me between 2 and 3? Not earlier because I’ll be at lunch and not later, because I’ll be going home. I don’t take calls because I will be working at home this evening.” ¬†Worst of all, he said “I’m sure that you can have him call me back. I’d rather talk to him. I’m pretty sure that you’re not the one who can tell me what the scheduling looks like.”

EXCUSE ME?

This guy doesn’t know me from Adam. Who calls a business and talks to the employees like this? Just because we are a small business, it doesn’t give a person the right to assume so much. I guess he doesn’t realize that I wrote his number on a napkin which I promptly used to blow my nose. Too bad his last name was a little too complicated for me to remember. Oh, and as for the Friday afternoon appointment? Hubs will be enticed to stay with me for a little ‘afternoon delight’ and on Saturday, we may need to visit the baby.

Hey, guy! Find someone else to put your fancy flat screen on the wall for you. You wouldn’t be the first one I’ve kicked to the curb. Even millionaires need to learn a little respect when they call this company. We have a reputation for being clean, polite and respectful to all of our customers. We only ask for the same in return.

1. Blondefabulous said:

on November 2, 2011 at 11:46 AM

What an ass!
    Blondefabulous´s last blog post ..72

on November 2, 2011 at 11:51 AM

blondefabulous-If you could have heard the tone of voice that he used once he found out that my hubs wasn’t here…..GRR! I can’t believe how much it pissed me off!

3. Marquita said:

on November 3, 2011 at 2:23 AM

I agree with you… He must earn your respect! That man was really annoying.
    Marquita´s last blog post ..Cellulite on stomach – How to get rid of it?

on November 3, 2011 at 8:13 AM

Marquita-Yes he was. And Hubs agreed!!

on November 3, 2011 at 11:53 AM

That’s when you acquiesce, and give him your husbands number – which is actually the number for a local psychiatrist, or even better – some well known nuthouse.
    When I worked for my friend at his store, there was an actual key on the register marked “asshole charge”, and I used it for sure with certain customers. They were overpaying and never knew.

on November 3, 2011 at 12:23 PM

SybilLaw-I like the idea of an “asshole charge” I may bring that up at the next staff meeting….LOL

7. Megan said:

on November 3, 2011 at 1:06 PM

When I was kid and worked at fast food places, people would consdescend to me all the time. They got it right back. I found that if you respond to a “sweetie” with a “darling” people will get the hint and change their tone right quick.
    Megan´s last blog post ..Daily Bread

on November 3, 2011 at 3:59 PM

Megan-I can usually let that stuff go. “Honey” doesn’t bother me too much. It was mostly the “I’d rather talk to the man” that did it for me. If it had been a serious job, I would have let Hubs handle the tool.

9. Larissa said:

on November 4, 2011 at 10:47 PM

OMG!!!! Hate such people!!! :( can’t work with them either!
    Larissa´s last blog post ..How to get rid of scars- fast and easy!

10. barak said:

on November 8, 2011 at 6:03 PM

well, this guy is a jerk, that a fact. but who cares, bottom line, this guy would like to pay you for your service. you are not going to be friend with him for rest of your life.
    As a small bussines i bealive every custmer is importent.
    but hi, that just my belief..
    barak´s last blog post ..Dog loss quotes