Friday December 02nd 2011, 9:56 AM
Filed under: Hubs,other shit,pets

Itchy and Scratchy

I had big plans for today.

The house has been pretty clean since Thanksgiving. I finally caught up on laundry and now I’ve gotten the Christmas spirit. I thought that maybe I’d put up some decorations and after vacuuming up the ever-present glitter and styrofoam, I’d shampoo the carpets this weekend.

Alas, dear reader, this is not to be. Lemme ‘splain….

I was curled up in my bed patiently waiting for hubs to go to work so that I could get up and get busy. The dogs were snuggled up with me, the room was dark and the blankets were toasty. Hubs called the dogs to go out and they bounded from the bed. I found their warm spots and sighed with happiness. I began to doze….

“Chris! Wake up. Bandit doesn’t have a skin irritation. The dogs have fleas!”

I’m awake now!

But they’re INDOOR dogs! They are rarely near other animals! How could this happen??

Together, Hubs and I ran down the list of “maybes”.  Maybe a holiday guest brought them in on their clothes? Maybe on Hub’s work clothes? Maybe the UPS guy when he brought in that big box the other day? Or maybe…the vet’s when Mordecai got his snippage…..exactly one month ago? I tend to doubt that one because Bandit was itchy before that.

No matter. I still have to get started. I strip the bed, the couches, and gather up the dogs’ beds and pillows. I gather the throw blankets, the sneakers that have been sitting next to Bandit’s bed.

Now I have run the shoes and pillows through the dryer. The washer is full of sheets, soon to be followed by the blankets. Hubs will get some jobs started and return with flea dip, powder and spray. Of course he will leave to finish work while I deal with this mess. The laundry I was happy to be done with, has been replace by mountains of new laundry.

My body itches. Not a single bite anywhere to be found on me, but I itch nonetheless. I think of how the dogs cuddled with me in my bed, on the couches. I think of them rolling on the floor, hiding behind the couches as they played with the kongs. As I walk through the rooms of the house, all I can think of is how the dogs did “this” over “there” and now I should clean there. I am exhausted already.

Now I will still be vacuuming and shampooing my carpets.

Just not for the happy reasons.

1. cathy said:

on December 2, 2011 at 12:40 PM

♪my dog has fleas….they bite his knees…♪ :-\”

Sorry, not funny I know but I couldn’t resist!
    Funny how even the mention of fleas or lice start us scratching uncontrollably lol

Look on the bright side, you’ll still be happy once the shampoong is done!

Just be careful with your back. Good luck with it.

on December 2, 2011 at 1:04 PM

Dogs are only indoor dogs if they NEVER go outside to do their business. They could’ve gotten them from your yard – from a raccoon passing by – anything. Save your money on the useless sprays, call the vet, and get the crap you put in the center of their shoulder bones. Sooo much better. Seriously. The other crap doesn’t work!

on December 2, 2011 at 8:16 PM

cathy-I can laugh now. I got the deep cleaning carpet cleaner I wanted YAY! and Hubs shampooed the carpets! YAY YAY! and Hubs exterminated the whole house! YAY YAY YAY! and then he ordered dinner!! YAYAYAYAYAYAYAYA!!!!

on December 2, 2011 at 8:18 PM

SybilLaw-I realized that after your comment. And then I remembered the deer pebbles that I was always dragging Mordecai away from. DOH! I shampooed them with flea stuff and they get the drops tomorrow. Vet said don’t use every thing at once.

5. Melissa@LillePunkin said:

on December 20, 2011 at 8:38 PM

Ugghh. Sorry to hear this. Is your home back to normal now? We had a flea outbreak once when I was little; what a nightmare to deal with. I agree with Sybil; get the dogs on the flea medication from the vet to stop any future outbreaks.