Monday February 27th 2012, 12:14 PM
Filed under: ineptitude,lessons,questions

Nowhere To Gift

I want to clean my basement. It is piled high in a 7×7′ area with Christmas decorations and 5×5′ with Halloween decorations. There are bins of ¬†seasonal clothes, sheets and drapes, and books. Hubs has one half of the basement, where he keeps surplus work supplies like wire, tools, our AC units, etc. All of these things will stay, perhaps thinned out, but still here.

As I looked around, I saw other things. Kitchen items that I saved for Son1. He didn’t need them, but when I tried to get rid of them, Son2 protested with the argument that he or Babygirl would need them. ¬†Other kitchen items are mine, too big for storage in my tiny kitchen.

But there are still more than a few boxes and bins. These are mine and I want everything in them.

Over the 31 years of being married, I have received some awesome gifts. I have quite a few items of Native American pottery and kachina dolls. They used to be displayed on our entertainment center, but when we got our flatscreen attached to the wall, they were packed away. Right now, my brother is displaying his own collection of pottery and I am jealous. I am also very fond of snow globes. I have several, some for certain holidays and some for every day. Still…..nowhere to display them.

And pictures! Don’t get me started on the thousands of pictures of family and friends that I have. I have lots of wall space, but since this is a rental home, I hesitate to put up shelves or hang frames. I had finally gotten two printer’s box shelves filled with a teeny glass menagerie but it was removed to make room for the tv.

Every day I watch the home makeover shows that tell me to display the things that I love. But where? How? I told Hub’s that I would like a curio cabinet for Christmas. I don’t know where it would fit, but I’d sure as hell try.

What do you do with gifts that you absolutely love? Is your home cluttered with things all over like a mishmash? Or are you artistic, clever, and have an eye for decor? I need help! I’m like a dancer with no rhythm. I have the tools, just no clue as to pull them together.

Ideas?

1. benelux2000 said:

on February 27, 2012 at 12:29 PM

When you clean out, ask yourself “have I used this in the past year?” If not throw it out…meaning donate of course! (it just sounds better in rhyme haha) If you have stuff your kids don’t want now, ask them if they have friends that do. If not, donate it. If they have space for them in their places, give it to the kids or whomever can use them. Sounds like you’re a great parent, helping your kids with stuff, but perhaps you can donate the stuff you have that they don’t want /need now but you can rebuy it in the future for them when they give you a list of what they want. :) I wish I lived closer, I LOVE to organize and decorate! :)

on February 27, 2012 at 12:35 PM

Benelux2000-Son2 is 26 and Babygirl is 19 and moving into an apartment this spring. The odds of them needing stuff SOON is pretty high. Most of my question involves the arty things that mean so much. I mean, if I don’t have a curio, is there another alternative? I get overwhelmed and just give up when I try to use my imagination. :(

3. benelux2000 said:

on February 27, 2012 at 12:38 PM

Perhaps let them choose what they want. Then donate the rest. About the curio… Shelving may be an option? I don’t really have a lot of stuff around my house as decorations… I don’t like stuff to dust! You can get floating shelves and replace your pictures or whatever on the wall with your stuff.

on February 27, 2012 at 12:42 PM

benelux2000-I like the idea of floating shelves. I may need to discuss this stuff with Hubs….or not. Maybe I’ll just surprise him. LOL!

5. benelux2000 said:

on February 27, 2012 at 12:44 PM

Hehehe :) Just don’t send him my way when he doesn’t want them… I did NOT tell you hahahah :) There’s also small curio boxes that can be mounted on the walls too. I’m not sure how much stuff you have or how big it is…but if it’s enclosed… saves on dusting (sorry my biggest annoyance haha)

6. Judy said:

on February 27, 2012 at 12:53 PM

I would start by grouping things that a similar in nature or relate to each other in some obvious way. Once the groupings are done, I would find a place to display them, maybe all grouped together on a pretty tray (which can be easily moved out of the way), or on a ledge, shelf, windowsill, well, any flat surface will do, really.
    Displaying in a group has a bigger impact and really shows off your treasures without making your room feel cluttered.
    If you give it a try, please let me know. Taking a picture would be absolutely wonderful too:)
    See you on the island of WeTopia:)

7. Megan said:

on February 27, 2012 at 1:01 PM

Floating shelves on the wall. Keep like items with like. That’s for your snowglobes, etc.

Your photos can be displayed all over the house. Group them by theme or subject, and make a collage of some sort. You can run them down a hallway (use two groups – one above an imaginary line on the wall, one below it). There are also some frame systems that hang together in a collage, making it easier to put those together.

on February 27, 2012 at 1:10 PM

benelux2000-Dust is a PITA for me too. It’s the wall mounting that makes me nervous. I don’t want to damage walls since it is a rental.

on February 27, 2012 at 1:12 PM

Judy- I read your comment and looked around the room. Now I have an idea of some possibilities. I love to share photos,so you know I’ll post them. Thanks!!

on February 27, 2012 at 1:14 PM

Megan-As soon as I read “an imaginary line” I visualized a photo idea from a magazine. A fine wire with the photos hung from it. Minimal damage and bigger possibilities. I also like the idea of collages.

on February 27, 2012 at 1:59 PM

You’ve seen my house! It’s cluttered, but less so than even when you were here – especially Gilda’s room! It’s a miracle!
    Anyway, my favorite thing was my big, black bookshelves – it gave me the space for books, and once I found the bins, the place to put all the crafty crap. The shelves are from Ikea, and they are WAY sturdier than I thought they would be.
    One of my old tricks, in our old house, was to put shelves above doorways to display stuff that I didn’t need constant access to.
    Maybe you could look on Craigslist or scour some garage sales and find some end tables with at least one shelf to display stuff on, too. That is, if you don’t love the ones you have now.
    Also, windowsills are great for small collections.
    You could totally frame some photos and have those going up the stairs. Don’t worry about holes in the wall – maybe you could try those picture hanger things so you don’t need to make holes, but most people hang stuff up. Family pictures on a wall are awesome – even if I don’t know the family, I still like to look at them!

on February 27, 2012 at 2:06 PM

SybilLaw-You KNOW I fell in love with your shelves. I especially liked the basket “catch-alls” you have. I never considered shelves above the doorframes. There’s food for thought….