Monday July 09th 2012, 1:24 PM
Filed under: celebration,doctors,family,other shit

Wait….. What?

So, there have been no posts.

No, not Logan’s fault. It’s all mine. Just as everything else around this house is my fault, this is too. Now I will attempt a partial explanation.

Many times on this blog, I have complained about my memory lapses, and my migraines. Many times I have found myself comforted by the comments that assured me that I was not the only one. Many times, I have been ‘talked off the edge’ by just being able to vent about my frustrations at being blamed for bills being unpaid, paperwork undone, and little tiny ‘favors’  being cast by the wayside.

Years ago, I mentioned these lapses to my doctor. He kinda laughed and said it was normal, that I was going through menopause and hormones may be the cause of the migraines and being 50 was the cause of losing my mind.

My new doctor has given me meds to handle the migraines. I love it. I can head off a migraine before I find myself crippled by the pain. The problem is that the migraines have gone from one or two managable headaches to three or four managed migraines with one big motherfucker that kills me. This doctor isn’t laughing it off. The frequency of the headaches coupled with the memory lapses has given him cause for concern.

This evening I will have my brain scanned.

He didn’t sound panicked. He just wants to rule out anything bad and see if there has possibly been an undetected mini-stroke. Okay, I was cool with that and just planned for my test.

Last Thursday, while talking to mom, she asked what was going on. She heard through the grapevine that I was having this done. So I told her and tried to downplay it so she wouldn’t freak out about it. But mom said, “Oh it’s a good thing you’re getting checked out. Stroke runs strongly in our family.”

Say what?

“Oh sure. Three of my sisters had strokes and your uncle had a stroke on the operating table while having a brain tumor removed.”

She never mentioned that or I would have called the doctor immediately to add that to my file. (I tend to do that instead of waiting until I go into the office for routine check-ups) “But mom! You said that the aunts had heart attacks!”

“Heart attacks/ strokes, same thing.”

Ummm…..NO.

So now I sit here waiting for appointment time and quietly freak out.

Ummm…..oh right, the blog….

I have ideas and I do write them down. I have been annoyed at people, politics, celebrities, and news. It’s just that when it comes time to write a post, I can’t remember where I wanted to go with it. By the time I do remember, it is a non-issue again.

And….I just did it again. Rather than delete that, I have left it there to show you what I can’t seem to explain.

Fuck it….

This coming Sunday, Logan will be Christened. The entire family is excited to gather for a happy reason. All of the family is bringing something. Hubs is paying for a hall and I managed the guest/food list. (I have lists fucking EVERYWHERE!!!) I was so scared that I was forgetting something but Shenanigans and I went through the list and I did quite well!  Even Holly helped with the list and not much is left to do. I have finally relaxed knowing that I haven’t  fucked things up by forgetting to invite someone, or not having enough food. *sigh of relief*

So there you have an update on my life.  This is the part where you sit back and say, “Wait….What did she just say?”  Then go back and read it again and tell me if it made sense. I’ll try to let you know what happens.

1. Bubblewench said:

on July 9, 2012 at 1:46 PM

Lots of love, luck and prayers. Glad the dr is taking it serious. Yeah for Sunday!

2. Poppy said:

on July 9, 2012 at 2:06 PM

I’m just going to keep my fingers crossed and hope you’re fine and the reason you have headaches is because you’re just too awesome.

3. teri tighe said:

on July 9, 2012 at 2:44 PM

OMFG, is she kidding? heart attacks are the same as strokes????

dear god, you could have stroked out and never knew about this. Why are some people nuts and won’t tell other family members about medical issues that run in families?

I hope it’s okay and they catch whatever it is, in time.

4. Lynda said:

on July 9, 2012 at 3:10 PM

Good luck with everything! It’s amazing how much people think strokes and heart issues are the same thing! Glad your mom straightened that out, though I all your worrying is for nothing!

BTW, I do the same thing with blog posts, where I think of something (I don’t write it though) and then when I get to the computer, don’t know where to go with it. So, some of this could just be normal. ;)

on July 9, 2012 at 6:41 PM

This doc is my buddy. I’m not a fool for any question I ask, and any ache or pain is not my imagination. sunday? OOORAH!! Can’t wait!

on July 9, 2012 at 6:43 PM

Poppy-My awesomeness has been known to cause blindness in others. (Thanks girlfriend.)

on July 9, 2012 at 6:45 PM

Teri-I need to be very specific with her. :( Le sigh….

on July 9, 2012 at 6:46 PM

Lynda- Now I just have to sit tight until the doctor gets the results back by Friday.

on July 9, 2012 at 7:40 PM

Prayers for there to be nothing there but your tiny brain. :)
    (But seriously- of course prayers, and the greatest hope that all is well!)
    xoxo

10. Megan said:

on July 10, 2012 at 9:42 AM

What to say? I’d like say I hope it’s nothing, but that doesn’t stop the migranes and forgetfulness, does it? If it’s something, it could be bad. So am I hoping for a trifle that can be easily fixed and get you back to normal? Oy.

I’m thinking about you and hoping all is well with you. A little prayer or two won’t hurt either, so you got that also. xoxoxox

on July 10, 2012 at 1:50 PM

SybilLaw-Your prayers mean a lot. Usually you just say “Oh God, Oh God…!” <3

on July 10, 2012 at 1:52 PM

Megan-I am likewise conflicted. Do I wish for nothing? Then why the forgetfulness? I think that alone is too much stress, especially with my imagination. Your prayers are appreciated.

13. JenniLew said:

on July 10, 2012 at 9:55 PM

Sending hopes for all the best. Just know that I’ll be praying for you and sending lots of laughter your way :)

on July 11, 2012 at 9:38 AM

JenniLew-Thank you. I’m laughing a lot…even at the lapses.Sometimes even they can be funny. I just hope I can remember to wipe my butt.

on July 11, 2012 at 9:56 AM

Be sure to post after the exam. We want to know whether or not you are dead.

P.S. I, myself, am currently not dead. I’m just close enough to fool most medical scans.

P.P.S. I hate laughing doctors. The sound is usually to cover their incompetence.

on July 11, 2012 at 10:09 AM

Grant-The doctors I have that laugh are the ones I trust the most.The serious ones are the old school guys that push my opinions to the side. News comes Friday, so I guess if it were serious, I’d hear by now….I would hope!

17. bluepaintred said:

on July 12, 2012 at 1:02 AM

tomorrow is friday, results day. I will be sending positive vibes your way, my friend.

on July 12, 2012 at 1:00 PM

bluepaintred-Thanks so much. I’ll be nervous, I’m sure!

19. Linda said:

on July 14, 2012 at 11:02 AM

I just caught up with this so now I know what the tests were about. Good for you for getting it checked out as soon as you knew the family medical history about strokes. Doing genealogy, I have found information on my husband’s family and mine that we have passed along to doctors — when you see a stack of death certificates saying heart disease or prostate cancer, the patterns become obvious and the need to take preventive care urgent.

Hoping for the best for you —

on July 15, 2012 at 9:41 PM

Linda-I didn’t know the family history until AFTER I scheduled the scan!Mom isn’t very forthcoming with information. I even ‘forgot’ to call the doctor on Friday for the results!