Monday January 14th 2013, 11:55 PM
Filed under: desire,family,lessons

Wish Granted

Once upon a time, I wished that my family would eat healthier. Oh to go back to such a kinder, gentler world.

Holly has always loved fruits and veggies. Salads are her friend. A fruit of any sort was always something she chose over cake and candy. Rob….well, Rob has never been a fan. Even as an infant, he immediately gagged on all vegetables and this followed him into adulthood. Only recently has he come to eat an occasional salad, mashed potatoes, or corn. He will grab fruit when the mood strikes him. This was a change I was overjoyed to see.

Now Hubs? Green beans and corn. That’s it. Or at least it had been until his heart attack. Now he has no choice but to add these things to his diet. Now, there is fruit in the house. Oranges and apples abound. He will grab lettuce (notice, I didn’t call it a ‘salad’) It’s been hard to keep him away from ranch dressing, but we found one that is heart friendly. Now, if he wants red meat, we bribe him with V8 juice. He doesn’t like this, but if he wants a steak, he gets the extra veggies. Now, he is really thinking about whether or not that roast beef is worth it.

Baby steps….

These days, we have turkey. A LOT of turkey. Hubs will not eat fish unless it is square and covered in breading. Chicken likewise should be breaded and preferably fried. This is not allowed and until I find a way to cook it in a way that he likes them, we will have turkey at all times in the house. We tried turkey meatballs. As they cooked, all I could think of was ‘wet dog’. Holly came out of her room and asked, “Who the hell is cooking dog meat??”  Rob was too hungry to care and said he would give it a go if only to support Hubs’ efforts. The family voted unanimously to banish this creation from our home for eternity.

Tonight, while grocery shopping, Hubs picked up a package of Italian turkey sausage. I don’t have high hopes for this, but being such a good wife, I will cook this for him.  We have bought oatmeal fruit bars. He is allowed 35 lightly salted peanuts. (This amount is just enough to satisfy his salty/crunchy craving) For me, 35 is a mouthful. For him, it is a luxury to be eaten one peanut at a time.

Gotta love my kids, though. They have been great sports about trying the change in foods. They wait until Hubs leaves the room before telling me whether they liked it or not. If they can’t stand the idea of eating with us, they manage to go out with friends or wait until we eat before looking for frozen pizza or chicken tenders.

Just before writing this, I had a toasted blueberry bagel with some cream cheese. Not actually good for me, but hey, it’s what I wanted. And there I was, a fifty year old grown-ass woman trying to keep the aroma from travelling down the hall to the bedroom where Hubs was watching tv. It brought back memories of trying to sneak a smoke in my bedroom as a teenager. I enjoyed every fucking bite, don’t get me wrong. I just felt like I was eating forbidden fruit. I’m not on a restricted diet, but just knowing that he is struggling so hard, makes it seem like cheating on him.

Well, I was the one who wanted to have more fruits and vegetables around. I was the one who wanted to try new ways of cooking for my family. I was the one who wanted things to be different.

Now my wish has been granted. Is it good or bad? My brain says “Yes! Of course it’s a good thing!”

My tongue and belly are still out on this one….

1. cathy said:

on January 15, 2013 at 4:42 AM

Hey Chris, I found a great way to cook veggies to actually maker them palatable in my quest for better health lol
    Roast them! It’s so simple, and you can do peppers, mushrooms, broccoli, cauliflower, brussel sprouts, tomatoes, potatoes whatever you like. You take a large freezer bag, add 2 to 3 tablespoons of olive oil 2 to 3 tablespoons of minced garlic, add some veggies and shake it all up to coat them, then spread them on a cookie sheet lioned with parchment paper and raost for 20 to 30 minutes depending how well done you like em. They keep great in the fridge, you c an freeze them and even my hubby who ate peas and potatoes and nothing else likes it and that’s amazing!!! lol

Hint: I use the minced garlic in a jar, saves on peeling and chopping it. You can also add any number of spices to the bag. This week I went more italian and added parsley and oregano and rosemary. yummy!

on January 15, 2013 at 9:17 AM

Cathy-Sounds great. The only ones we have tried are potatoes and green beans. He loves them. Personally, I would eat them all. Never thought of the broccoli or mushrooms. Must try!!

3. Cathy said:

on January 15, 2013 at 9:41 AM

Another good way to get veggies and legumes into him is to make homemade soup. Most dried soup mixes have beans and lentils etc. Add a carton of soup bouillon and some chicken or beef and fine noodles and whatever veggies he’ll eat. My hubs cuts up in tiny pieces and hides what he doesn’t like, like broccoli and cauliflower, in his potatoes or rice covered with ketchup! Lol

4. Megan said:

on January 15, 2013 at 10:49 AM

I’m still advocating the “Cook This, Not That” books. There are a couple of recipes for oven-fried chicken and chicken fingers that are very good (not like fried, but good nonetheless), and there are some awesome salads (I know, I know) that made me change my mind about salads. I’m happy to send you a couple to take a look at and maybe try.

There may need to be some modifications for Hub’s diet restrictions, but this is food that actually tastes good, uses real ingredients and is easy to make. Everybody wins.

on January 15, 2013 at 2:22 PM

Cathy-All of his soup must be ‘heart healthy’ (in cans) or made with little to no salt. No boxed bouillion because of the sodium content.BEANS?? LENTILS? God Forbid that one should cross his lips!! LOL. I’m working on it.

on January 15, 2013 at 2:24 PM

Megan-Yes, I’m interested! I couldn’t remember the name of those books. I’m going to look them up now. Thanks!