I was visiting my buddies and the title of one post jumped out at me. “We Are Family” by the Pointer Sisters. Once upon a time I kinda like that song. Notice- I said once upona time.
This is just one of the songs that is banned from the weddings of my kids (and I believe they feel the same way)
1. “We Are Family” — Oh come on! Played at every wedding as though nobody knows that it is a FAMILY event! Even worse is the one person that goes to every table grabbing someone not dancing and screaming “BUT IT’S THE FAMILY SONG!!”
2. “Old Time Rock and Roll” — Bob Seegar. Cool song, great beat, and you can’t top that sexy gravelly voice. However, every time I hear it, I have visions of every old person alive “rocking out” and I mean literally rocking. Doing that old person dance that consists of a shuffle and wiggling the arms from side to side. Blech!
3. “Celebration” –Kool and the Gang. Um…am I wrong but isn’t it understood that parties are a celebration?? Isn’t there another song that’s acceptable?4. “Wonderful Tonight” –by Eric Clapton. Lovely song, lovely sentiment, and Eric Clapton. But could it get any slower? I always feel like he is going to fall asleep in the middle of a verse. I have seen too many people dancing to this at the end of a reception and practically pass out while leaning on their partner.
4. “YMCA” –by the Village People. Why does Aunt Sadie always have to risk a broken hip trying to keep up?
Before everyone gets mad that one of their favorite songs is listed above, just remember that the name of my blog is “Don’t Wanna Hear It”. Besides, I didn’t say I flat out hated all of them. I just think that just once, I’d like to attend a wedding in which these particular songs were passed over. Although my kids have said none of these will play at their weddings, I just know that one of them will include EVERY.ONE.OF.THEM. just to piss me off. How do I know this? It’s what I would do!
Sunday night was trivia night on Turnbaby’s radio show. I like trivia. I have a gift for remembering stupid shit. But ask me to make a doctor’s appointment for you or tell me that a bill needs to be paid PRONTO and I will forget that I ever heard it. This tends to get me into a lot of trouble.
But that is not what this post is about. If you have been here alot, (okay maybe ever) you might know that I like my music loud, fast and angry. (Kind of like my sex) This doesn’t mean that I have no knowledge of other types of music. But I have noticed something more recently. During the trivia quizzes, I have been getting alot of those answers right! I am talking specifically about 80’s music.
I really hate 80’s music. If I hear it on the radio, I’d rather drive in silence. Seriously. I make alot of jokes about not liking Duran Duran, or the Pet Shop Boys but I asked myself…WHY? I opened my ears to listen and I noticed that some of this music isn’t half bad. I know all the words.I know the riffs. I know the performers. But why don’t I like it?
When these songs were new, they played on the radio constantly. MTV was just as new as the videos they played. The songs were put into heavy rotation. Lots of coming-of-age movies that were set in the 80’s used all of those same songs too. I became disgusted with listening to them and gave up on radio and videos in favor of casettes and this new thing called CDs. During movies, I would tune them out during the montage that seemed to be a requirement for the films. I realized that I missed huge chunks of movies because of the music. It was usually my cue to take a bathroom or snack break.
So I am wondering, is there anything that was ruined for you by overkill? A single movie played on tv constantly? A TV show that reruns repeatedly? What has been done to death for you?
1. I’m not psychic. Surprised? Anyway, a couple of friends have accused me of being in their heads. These are not places that any normal person would like to visit. Not only that but I have picked up the phone to call my mom and a girlfriend and both answered on half a ring(!) only to tell me that they were on their way to call ME! Weird huh? Wooooo!
2. What’s the weather like where you are? Today was awesome. The sun was shining, the birds were singing, and the squirrels in my yard were a-humpin’ like rabbits! After my nap, I took Joslyn and the pup out for walkies. It seems like forever since I’ve been able to do that. I CAN’T WAIT FOR SPRING!!!
3. Did anyone see the news about the pope making up new sins? What is the deal with that? (asked in my best Seinfeld voice) What? No cloning? No stem cell research? Bite me! No drug abuse? Fuck that! Where did it say “Do not perpetuate homelessness, hunger and illiteracy in thine own back yard?” Pope Benny! Get a grip on that staff of yours and yank it a few times!
4. Does this count as a bullet post if I didn’t use bullets and numbered the items instead?
5. Who took my NIN CDs? Two of them. Fess up! If it was you, I swear, I’ll make your life unpleasant!
That’s all boys and girls. Thanks for stopping by and have a pleasant biteme day!
Some guy tagged me to do this. (I guess I will since I currently have NO LIFE!)
It’s called Crazy 8’s. Now pay attention because I’m only doing this ONCE!
8 Things I’m Passionate About -Music, movies, books, family, kids, friends, my hubs, nail polish (I love it and it must be a certain kind) -Not necessarily in that order.
8 Things I Want to Do Before I Die -Learn Japanese, visit Japan, parasail, scuba dive around the Great Barrier Reef, See Rammstein perform live, Become a Grandmother (SON1), have ALL three of my kids move out, become a bounty hunter.
8 Things I Say Often -“Fab, I promise to call in this week!” “Fuck you” “Bite me” “Don’t touch that!” “Bandit No!” “I don’t wanna hear it!” “I forgot!” “Oh yes, there”
8 books I’ve Read Recently –PA driver’s Manual, “Lisey’s Story” and “Blaze” both by Stephen King, “My Boring-Ass Life” by Kevin Smith, “Dirt:The Confessions of the World’s Most Notorious Rock Band” by Motley Crue, “Brother Odd” by Dean Koontz, and the last Harry Potter book by JK Rowling. That’s all. And I’m not finished with 3 of them.
8 Songs I Could Listen to Over and Over -“Ohne Dich” and”Rosenrot” by Rammstein, “Spirit in the Sky” byNorman Greenbaum, “Into the Mystic” by Van Morrison, “Alone I Break” by Korn, “Cry Baby” by Janis Joplin, “I Wanna Be Sedated” by the Ramones, and “Black Hole Sun” by Soundgarden.
8 Things That Attract Me to My Best Friends- HUMOR! Sincerity, selflessness, generosity, honesty and willingness to gossip behind someone’s back-even at a funeral or in church.They must also be enthusiastic about singing my praises at every opportunity. Oh, and did I mention HUMOR?
8 People I Think Should Do Crazy 8’s –Grant, Stacy (cuz payback is a bitch and so am I), Trukindog, Teri, Lynda and Blondeblogger and anyone else who hasn’t been tagged yet. BE HONEST! If you weren’t tagged yet, DO the fucker already!!
I stole this from Kapgar..well, maybe “stole” isn’t the appropriate word. After all, he did say it was okay to use it if we wanted . Anyway, Sundays are slow and since I don’t do “Breakfast with the Beatles” or “Brunch with Elvis” you’ve got this!
What is the first music album you remember owning? If not the same, what is the first music album you purchased for yourself? I believe that was “Pearl” by Janis Joplin . I bought “Frampton Comes Alive” for myself.
What artist currently occupies the most space either in terms of shelf space or megabytes on your hard drive? Rammstein-hands down.
How many different types of music media (vinyl, cassette, CD, etc) have you owned in your lifetime? 45’s, 8 track, cassettes, vinyl albums, and CDs
Who or what has had the biggest effect on your music taste? My dad owned his own “Pearl” first and threatened my life if I scratched it. So he bought me my own. Janis Joplin and Van Morrison came from Dad. Son2 introduced me to the dark side. He gave me Rammstein.
How do you currently prefer to listen to music?I use my CD player alot but also the computer.
In terms of music memorabilia, what is your most prized possession?That would be my Ozzy Osbourne bobble head. Also, the photos Babygirl took of Weird Al in Wildwood this summer.(above and below)
Have you ever “swapped headsets” with a complete stranger (meaning have you ever unplugged the earphones from your listening device and plugged them into someone else’s player and had them do the same)? If yes, what did they play for you? No, but it would be cool.
Have you ever been completely obsessed with a particular artist? Who and to what level did your fandom go? Okay, I’m gonna tell the truth because “someone” knows me from ‘back in the day’–I was a Bay City Rollers fan. ( shut the fuck up!!) I wrote a fan letter and didn’t have enough postage to go to London, so they sent it back and my Dad saw it and gave me all kinds of grief about it. HE STILL DOES!!!
What is the farthest you’ve ever traveled for a concert? Over the bridge to Camden to see Aerosmith/Run-DMC/ Kid Rock (they all kicked ass!)
Who have you seen in concert the most? Hmm…. I think that is a tie between Aerosmith and Genesis(with Peter Gabriel)
I wasn’t sure what I wanted to write about today, but then something happened. I was putting out some cans for recycling and a car drove by with music blasting out of the windows. The song? “Oh What a Night” by the Four Seasons. This song makes me think of Son1, turning it up in his new car, and dance-driving while singing it at the top of his lungs. He was trying to make me laugh and it worked. But it is a very STRONG memory. I remember what he was wearing, where we were, and the smell of KFC (we were passing one). This made me wonder what other songs I have associated with memories. And I’d like you to answer too. Ready for a trip down memory lane?
1. What is your earliest musical memory? (NOT Happy Birthday,lullabies, or nursery rhymes!) I was 6 or 7 and the ‘big girls’ two doors down from me were practicing dancing in the garage. The song was “Can’t Hurry Love” by the Supremes. I was shy because they were all so much older than I was. (They were only about 13-14.) But they invited me in to hang. That was cool.
2. What music was playing when you lost your virginity? (or another song you associate with sex) “Aqualung” by Jethro Tull was on the stereo. (Romantic,huh?)
3. What is the first song you knew all the words to? “Joy to The World(Jeremiah Was a Bullfrog)” by Three Dog Night. I remember swinging in a playground with my best friend Brendan. I was 7. That was the year he moved away. It was summer. It was hot. And he talked me into “parachuting” off the swing.That’s a good memory.
4. What song brings on a strong teen hang-out memory? Queen’s “We Will Rock You”. Frank would blast it out his window while we sat outside of his house or in the park next door.And when that was over, he would put on the Moody Blues “Knights in White Satin”
5. What music did you dance to at your wedding? (For those not married, what did you dance to at your prom?) Hubs and I danced to Roberta Flack’s “First Time(Ever I Saw Your Face)”. I don’t know how long that song actually is, but IT’S TOO FUCKING LONG WHEN PEOPLE ARE WATCHING YOU DANCE!!!!
6. Have you ever had a song in your dream and remembered it after waking up? Somewhere around the age of 12, I had a dream that I was asleep in the backseat in the car with my family. We were coming home from Mom-Mom’s house. As we passed the cemetery down the street we were in an accident and the car hit a tree. “Abraham, Martin, and John” was on the radio. Everytime I hear that song I get creeped out even though the accident was only a dream.
So there you have it. There are other details involved in those memories, but that would be too much to post. Besides, I’m NOT giving the details to when I lost my virginity!
I was stuck for an idea, and since it’s Friday night and readership is usually low on the weekend, I thought I’d take the time to cleanup my CDs.(Plus over at the Daily Meme, there was a meme called the ABCs of Music) This is what I have (or are my favorites)
A- Aerosmith-Toys in the Attic
B- David Bowie- Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders from Mars*
C- Kelly Clarkson- Breakaway (yeah, Kelly Clarkson, Shut up)*
D-Duran Duran- Greatest Hits*
E- Elton John- Goodbye Yellow Brick Road
F-Foo Fighters- One by One *
H- Hatebreed- Perseverence*
I- Incubus- Morning View*
J- Judas Priest- British Steel
K- Korn – Greatest Hits*
L- Linkin Park- Hybrid Theory*
M- Megadeth – Rude Awakening*
N- Nirvana-Nevermind *
O-Ozzy Osbourne- Blizzard of Ozz
P- Pretenders- The Singles*
Q – Queen- Stone Cold Classics
R- Rammstein- Sehnsucht*
S- System of a Down- Toxicity*
T- Tool- Lateralus
U- Uriah Heep- Uriah Heep Live (way old)*
V- Van Morrison- Legend Collection
W- White Stripes- White stripes
X and Y – Yeah like I’d have Xzibit and Young MC
Z- Rob Zombie- Hellbilly Deluxe *
There you have it. I thought I’d have a hard time coming up with something for every letter of the alphabet and instead, I had to cut back far too many. I settled on Greatest Hits where it was too hard to choose one CD. Is there anyone out there that even likes this type of music besides me ( and frat boys around the world?)
*these I actually own-the others I would like to own (Christmas is coming!!)